GA-7N400-L

Old September 3rd 04, 01:13 AM
Ryan J. Paque

Default GA-7N400-L

Hi All,

I recently purchased (new) a GA-7N400-L mainboard, and pupulated with an
Athalon 3200+ and 512MB PC3200 DIMM.

This is replacing my GA-71XE.

Or is trying to...

Here's the problem:

After installing the new MB/CPU/RAM into my case according to specs,
attaching the HD's with the IDE cable provided w/ the MB, my system
refuses to boot if set the FSB to anything above 100MHz (only 1.1GHz!).
The system tries running for a few moments, I hear an alarm, and
everything powers down. All alarms are disabled in the BOIS however.

I even went so far as to clear the CMOS and reflash the factory defaults.

Setting the FSB to 100MHz, I am able to play in the BIOS, and even begin
to boot, however I get STOP screen after STOP screen, and Windows (2003
and ME on seperate partitions) refuses to boot. I once had the same
problem when using a UDMA IDE cable for my HD's.

I replaced the IDE cable with the cable from my old MB, and had the same
problem. I then suspected the power supply... but after reinstalling
my old MB, my system works flawlessly.

SOOOO... I'm perplexed. Could my PS just be getting weak, and what is
suficient to power my GA71XE with a 900MHz Athalon is just not powerful
enough to power the Athalon 3200+?

Any help or tips are greatly appreciated!

Ryan
Old September 3rd 04, 02:10 AM
Hevey Cleckley

there is a jumper on the board, next to the AGP slot i think. needs to be
moved to multiply bus x 2 (1100 x 2 = 2200mhz, the speed of the 3200XP)

Old September 3rd 04, 02:37 AM
Ryan J. Paque

Hevey Cleckley wrote:
there is a jumper on the board, next to the AGP slot i think. needs to be
moved to multiply bus x 2 (1100 x 2 = 2200mhz, the speed of the 3200XP)

When I switch that jumper to the "auto" position, instead of simply
failing to successfully boot to Windows, the MB "alarms" and then the
entire system shuts down after 10-20 seconds.

When in the "on" position, the system attempts to boot, but I get
several read errors. Half the time on a reset the hard drives aren't
even recognized properly.

Actually, come to think of it, I had this problem once when I
attempted to activate UDMA transfers on my old system...

Maybe the new MB can't "degrade" itself to use my old HD's?

Ryan

Old September 3rd 04, 03:04 AM
PWY

Ryan J. Paque wrote:
[...]

The alarm leads me to believe that you have a heat issue. However, if
you have a Power Supply of less than
watts, I recommend that you upgrade the Power Supply first.
I would check to see that the heat sink is properly fitted. It is easy to
install the wrong way and leave a slight gap underneath.

PWY
Old September 3rd 04, 03:08 AM
PWY

Ryan J. Paque wrote:

Hevey Cleckley wrote:

[...]

Can you install the the chipset drivers for the new board?