Worried about temperature

Old August 19th 04, 04:10 PM
Twitchin

Default Worried about temperature

I'm running a p4 2.8ghz on a GA-8IK1100 (875P) m/board. Easytune 4 reports
temps of 50 degrees idle in win xp. Is this an acceptable temperature? My
cpu fan is a cooler master DI4-7I52A (Easy tune 2960rpm). I have two 12cm
IN/OUT fans (both at 2500rp) and another outlet fan which sits along a PCI
slot under my AGP slot.

Old August 19th 04, 06:20 PM
Bioboffin

"Twitchin" wrote in message
I'm running a p4 2.8ghz on a GA-8IK1100 (875P) m/board. Easytune 4 reports
temps of 50 degrees idle in win xp. Is this an acceptable temperature? My
cpu fan is a cooler master DI4-7I52A (Easy tune 2960rpm). I have two 12cm
IN/OUT fans (both at 2500rp) and another outlet fan which sits along a PCI
slot under my AGP slot.

I have a P4 3.0 GHz running at 43 deg idle. I think your temperature may be
a bit on the high side, but probably not enough to worry about. A lot
depends on the design of the case, and whether the fans are actually
sucking/blowing air over the CPU. (In my wife's computer - Gigabyte 8KNXP
rev 1 and P4 2.8 GHz), the temperature is around 53 deg. idle, and in spite
of drilling a large hole in the front to accommodate a fan, I have been
unable to reduce it. The problem is that the CPU is close to the PSU, and
both are at the 'top' of the (mini tower) case in relatively still air,
while the fans are half way up.

My own case is an Antec Sonata which has a much better layout.

John.

Old August 19th 04, 07:50 PM
Richard Dower

"Twitchin" wrote in message
I'm running a p4 2.8ghz on a GA-8IK1100 (875P) m/board. Easytune 4 reports
temps of 50 degrees idle in win xp. Is this an acceptable temperature? My
cpu fan is a cooler master DI4-7I52A (Easy tune 2960rpm). I have two 12cm
IN/OUT fans (both at 2500rp) and another outlet fan which sits along a PCI
slot under my AGP slot.

Thats high. I have a Pentium 4 Northwood 3.2GHz, overclocked to 3.36GHz, at
idle it starts at 32C and goes to 39C idle. Never higher.

Though i have 14 fans.

Old August 19th 04, 11:31 PM
Ken Oaf

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 15:10:20 +0000 (UTC), "Twitchin"
wrote:

I'm running a p4 2.8ghz on a GA-8IK1100 (875P) m/board. Easytune 4 reports
temps of 50 degrees idle in win xp. Is this an acceptable temperature? My
cpu fan is a cooler master DI4-7I52A (Easy tune 2960rpm). I have two 12cm
IN/OUT fans (both at 2500rp) and another outlet fan which sits along a PCI
slot under my AGP slot.

Way too hot.

My p4 2.8 running at 3.06 never gets above 40 using the stock standard cooling
fan. I also have 2 extra case fans, plus the one in the power supply.

If you are not already using them, consider using those nice round IDE and
floppy drive cables instead of the flat ones. The round ones allow a much
better air flow.

Old August 19th 04, 11:49 PM
Jeff French

Twitchin,
If you have a P4 2.8C CPU, then your temperatures are rather high.

If you have a P4 2.8E CPU, then your temperatures are about normal.

Jeff

Old August 20th 04, 02:07 PM
Simon Elliott

FWIW my GA-7VRXP with an Athlon 1400 is currently running idling around
50C. That's with the case off, three fans and a Zalman copper 'flower'
heatsink; all recently cleaned.

I know it's "apples and oranges" but since this processor is rated up to
90C I've not worried when I've seen it peaking around 65C on full load.
What do the specs for your processor say on the subject?

IME round cables do nothing to improve air flow (accessibility is
another matter). I'd agree with Bioboffin that case design is a far more
important issue.

--

Simon Elliott
Old August 20th 04, 03:07 PM
Wayne

Case designs always have intrigued me as you would think a fan at the top of
the case with a rounded surface to discourage things from being placed there
with a nice large fan blowing all the warm air out would be helpful. the
other odd think is many case fans in the back blow out. I would think that
in so the coolest air hits the processor would be best. Dell on many of its
computers has a shroud around the CPU with a vent in the back so that it
gets nice cool air from the outside and pretty much is isolated from the
rest of the case.

My server case has 2 fans in the rear blowing in and my temps are 31 but
mine is a 2.4 533chip

Wayne

Old August 21st 04, 03:45 AM
Bob Davis

"Twitchin" wrote in message

I'm running a p4 2.8ghz on a GA-8IK1100 (875P) m/board. Easytune 4 reports
temps of 50 degrees idle in win xp. Is this an acceptable temperature? My
cpu fan is a cooler master DI4-7I52A (Easy tune 2960rpm). I have two 12cm
IN/OUT fans (both at 2500rp) and another outlet fan which sits along a PCI
slot under my AGP slot.

I have the same CPU, assuming you have a 2.8C, and my idle temp is now 41°C
in a 27° (80°F) room. CPU temp is relative to the ambient temp, don't
forget. I am running a Zalman 7000Cu HSF, which lowered my temps
considerably, and have an Antec tower case with four exhaust fans (2 on
case, 2 on PSU). It's on an 8KNXP v1 mobo.

According to the MBM5 log I usually hit a high of 50 or 51° every day,
probably working with PhotoShop or other major app. In winter the temp goes
down, as I keep the room at around 68°F during those months.

Old August 23rd 04, 08:43 PM
Twitchin

"Twitchin" wrote in message
I'm running a p4 2.8ghz on a GA-8IK1100 (875P) m/board. Easytune 4 reports
temps of 50 degrees idle in win xp. Is this an acceptable temperature? My
cpu fan is a cooler master DI4-7I52A (Easy tune 2960rpm). I have two 12cm
IN/OUT fans (both at 2500rp) and another outlet fan which sits along a PCI
slot under my AGP slot.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I added a couple of extra fans and
re-applied some arctic silver. 3 days later she's running mid 40's which I'm
happy with