Bios problem

Old May 27th 04, 09:11 AM
Dave {ð¿ð}

Default Bios problem

I have had the F14 version of the bios installed for some time now on my GA-7VAXP, but recently it has started playing
up.

When the computer is turned on it starts to boot, but then after a few seconds it just turns it's self off. The only
way I can get into windows is by going in to the bios boot options and telling it to boot from the backup bios. Once
into windows I flash the main bios with the F14 again using the Gigabyte Flash utility and the PC is fine when booting
for a day or two, then the problem occurs again. Today the problem occurred so I have flashed the main bios again, but
this time from bios boot options on boot up. I'm not sure if this will fix the problem or not and no doubt I will find
out in a day or two. Anyway, has anyone else had a similar problem, and if so how did you go about fixing it?

Dave...

Old May 27th 04, 04:08 PM
Dimitris

"Dave {ð¿ð}" wrote in message ...
[...]

Maybe you need to replace the battery of the motherboard..It keeps the
CMOS data alive.. Do you get any CMOS checksum error at the boot?
If it is the case that the main rom chip is malfunctioning, try to
change the bios option and boot always from the backup bios
Old May 27th 04, 05:45 PM
Dave {ð¿ð}

"Dimitris" wrote in message m...
"Dave {ð¿ð}" wrote in message ...
[...]

I would have thought that if it was the battery it would occur evertime I turned the PC on, but it does not. Might
change it though as the board is now 1.5 years old and had a lot of use.

Do you get any CMOS checksum error at the boot?

No error, just turns it's self off.

Dave...

Old May 27th 04, 11:48 PM
schmuck

On Thu, 27 May 2004 08:11:44 GMT, "Dave {ð¿ð}"
wrote:

[...]

Turn CPU thermals up to 80% that should solve your prob.

Old May 28th 04, 09:01 AM
Dave {ð¿ð}

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the reply, but surly if this was the problem it would have happened ages ago. I've had the board for 1.5
years and this problem has only appeared over the last couple of weeks and no changes to the system have been made for
months.

Dave...

Old May 28th 04, 04:51 PM
Dimitris

Maybe cpu temperature shutdown has something to do. I had a gigabyte
board with strange sudden shutdown out of nowhere. Turned out to be
the cpu overheat shutdown, set it to disabled and it stop doing it.
Might be the cpu temperature sensor going nuts and giving high
temperatures for a short time interval, which causes the automatic
shutdown.
Old May 29th 04, 10:40 PM
JohnK

F14 wouldn't run for me either. I went back to F11.

Old May 30th 04, 09:03 AM
Dave {ð¿ð}

"JohnK" wrote in message nk.net...
F14 wouldn't run for me either. I went back to F11.

I'd been using F14 for ages before this error occurred. It's looking more and more like a problem with the battery. I
hope to get a replacement battery in a day or two.

Dave...

Old June 4th 04, 07:16 PM
Dave {ð¿ð}

"Dave {ð¿ð}" wrote in message ...
"JohnK" wrote in message nk.net...
F14 wouldn't run for me either. I went back to F11.

I'd been using F14 for ages before this error occurred. It's looking more and more like a problem with the battery.

hope to get a replacement battery in a day or two.

Dave...

New battery seems to have done the trick :-)

Dave