8KNXP overclocking?

Old May 10th 04, 02:26 AM
Richard Dower

Default 8KNXP overclocking?

I will soon have an 8KNXP + 3.2C, the memory will be Corsair 3200LLPT,
revision 1.2 with 2-3-2-6 timings.

Has anyone got this configuration?, does it work with default SPD timings?,
and what about overclocking...anyone had good results?

Thanks.

Old May 10th 04, 03:08 AM
Tim

Richard, Hi again,

Nope: I have Corsair 3200 not LLPT. With early bios on Rev 1 boards some
people had a lot of trouble getting this memory going.

Get the latest bios before proceeding..

I would simply try Load Bios Defaults, checking the memory was at SPD, AGP
etc. Locked and run memtest86 for a minimum of 2 (if not 5 extended) full
runs on extended tests. No errors should occur. If you get any errors then
you *must* clear up the cause before doing an installation of an OS. It is
commonly recommended to up the memory voltage by 0.1v & you may get memory
errors if you do not.

Get memtest86 running 100% before tightening the memory timings. Install an
OS and use one of the advanced utils to tell you what your memory is
actually configured for (IE what SPD said) before tinkering. Then tinker
with memory timings IE set them to corsairs stated values and re-test with
memtest86 before rebooting into OS. You can get disc corruptions with bad
memory timings and will be prone to disc corruptions if you allow the AGP
etc speeds to wander off their normal settings. SATA hates non standard
clock frequencies.

Personally, I would not bother with overclocking with 3200LLPT memory. You
will get a lot further with non LLPT and higher spec memory and a 2.4c,
2.6c, or 2.8c chip. IE 3.2c chips tend to be near their max already. I have
2.8c running as 2.8c.

- Tim