SATA or memory problems on GA-7N400 PRO2 Rev 2.0

Old May 4th 04, 05:04 AM
Yiannis

Default SATA or memory problems on GA-7N400 PRO2 Rev 2.0

I have a SATA HD pre-corruption problem with Silicon Image 3512 and WD
Raptor 360GD on GA-7N400 pro2 rev2.0. My problem is the EventID 51 "...error
in device\harddisk2\D during the paging operation."
I tried both BIOS 4.3.33 and 4.3.47 for raid controller but the error
persists. I tried RAID configuration with single HDD and BASE configuration
WITH ALL RELATIVE DRIVERS but the EventID 51 persists. I tried Memtest86 for
about one hour without errors. Also I tried to reset CMOS, but the EventID
51 persists.

Gets to know somebody if my memory 2x512MB Kingston KVR400X64C25 [2.5-3-3-8]
with Mosel Vitelic chips V58C2256804SAT5B, is compatible with my
motherboard? I have sent an email in the Giga-Byte and Kingston since 27/4
but up to today they have not answered.

I tryed the newest FC BIOS but it's unable to boot in WinXP if I set the
Kingston as dual channel. I get BSOD. If I set the Kingston as single
channel and CPU interface at optimal not at aggressive, my system boot
without the EventID 51.

Also I tried a 2x512MB TwinMos M2G9J16A-TT [2.5-3-3-8] with TwinMos chips
TMD7608F8E50D, and in dual channel mode my system boot with BIOS FC but the
EventID 51 presented 1-2 times for about every boot.

Please tell your opinion about these conflicts. It's a memory or SATA
problem? Which memory is better?
Kingston KVR400X64C25 [2.5-3-3-8] with Mosel Vitelic chips V58C2256804SAT5B
or TwinMos M2G9J16A-TT [2.5-3-3-8] with TwinMos chips TMD7608F8E50D.

Thanks in advance....

GigaByte GA-7N400 PRO2 Rev 2.0
Athlon XP 3000+ @ 203*11 (3200+)
2x512MB RAM Kingston DDR400 KVR400X64C25 @ 2.5-3-3-8
HD1 SATA WDC Raptor 360GD
HD2 PATA Seagate ST3120026A
VGA Prolink FX5600 Golden limited 256MB RAM AGP 8x
CDRW Plextor PX-W5224A
DVDRW Teac W58G
PSU Enermax EG465AX 460 Watt
Windows XP Professional with SP1

Old May 4th 04, 07:18 AM
Mal

"Yiannis" wrote in message
|I have a SATA HD pre-corruption problem with Silicon Image 3512 and WD
| Raptor 360GD on GA-7N400 pro2 rev2.0. My problem is the EventID 51
"...error
| in device\harddisk2\D during the paging operation."
| I tried both BIOS 4.3.33 and 4.3.47 for raid controller but the error
| persists. I tried RAID configuration with single HDD and BASE
configuration
| WITH ALL RELATIVE DRIVERS but the EventID 51 persists. I tried Memtest86
for
| about one hour without errors. Also I tried to reset CMOS, but the EventID
| 51 persists.
|
| Gets to know somebody if my memory 2x512MB Kingston KVR400X64C25
[2.5-3-3-8]
| with Mosel Vitelic chips V58C2256804SAT5B, is compatible with my
| motherboard? I have sent an email in the Giga-Byte and Kingston since 27/4
| but up to today they have not answered.
|
| I tryed the newest FC BIOS but it's unable to boot in WinXP if I set the
| Kingston as dual channel. I get BSOD. If I set the Kingston as single
| channel and CPU interface at optimal not at aggressive, my system boot
| without the EventID 51.
|
| Also I tried a 2x512MB TwinMos M2G9J16A-TT [2.5-3-3-8] with TwinMos chips
| TMD7608F8E50D, and in dual channel mode my system boot with BIOS FC but
the
| EventID 51 presented 1-2 times for about every boot.
|
| Please tell your opinion about these conflicts. It's a memory or SATA
| problem? Which memory is better?
| Kingston KVR400X64C25 [2.5-3-3-8] with Mosel Vitelic chips
V58C2256804SAT5B
| or TwinMos M2G9J16A-TT [2.5-3-3-8] with TwinMos chips TMD7608F8E50D.
|
| Thanks in advance....

| GigaByte GA-7N400 PRO2 Rev 2.0
| Athlon XP 3000+ @ 203*11 (3200+)
| 2x512MB RAM Kingston DDR400 KVR400X64C25 @ 2.5-3-3-8
| HD1 SATA WDC Raptor 360GD
| HD2 PATA Seagate ST3120026A
| VGA Prolink FX5600 Golden limited 256MB RAM AGP 8x
| CDRW Plextor PX-W5224A
| DVDRW Teac W58G
| PSU Enermax EG465AX 460 Watt
| Windows XP Professional with SP1

Try running your CPU at it's stock speed and your ram in dual-channel mode.
You say it ran ok when the cpu was set to run at optimal settings instead of
aggressive and the ram in single channel. You've tried just about everything
I can think of to do with the ram and the sata controller ... the only time
it ran ok was with the cpu at stock speed but you seem to have ignored that
and stayed on the track of blaming the ram.

Let us know what the results are.

Mal
--
Of course everything is in the last place you look!
Why would you find it and keep on looking??!

Old May 4th 04, 11:52 AM
Yiannis

Mal thank you for your reply

I tried the stoke speed for my CPU (13x166) but the Kingston DDR400 don't
run in dual channel mode @ 400 MHz but runs perfectly @ 333 MHz.

I spend my euros to buy a DDR400 and not DDR333.

Old May 4th 04, 01:51 PM
Dimitris

[...]

Seems that overclocking your CPU may have done damage to it or even
the memories(Kingston are not the best choice for overclocking). If
your CPU is a 3000+ with 200FSB(10.5x) then ofcourse this isnt the
case, but if it is with 166FSB(13x) , setting with higher FSB(203!)
and different multiplier(11x) could cause all these.

However it is strange that you said it works almost fine with other
memory chips(and in dual channel mode). This makes me think it might
be a power problem(get a bigger PSU) or a heat problem(put more fans!,
put heatsink above the Sii3512chip if you can).
Old May 4th 04, 03:21 PM
Mal

"Yiannis" wrote in message
| Mal thank you for your reply
|

| I tried the stoke speed for my CPU (13x166) but the Kingston DDR400 don't
| run in dual channel mode @ 400 MHz but runs perfectly @ 333 MHz.
|
| I spend my euros to buy a DDR400 and not DDR333.
|

| "Mal" wrote in message
| "Yiannis" wrote in message
| |I have a SATA HD pre-corruption problem with Silicon Image 3512 and WD
| | Raptor 360GD on GA-7N400 pro2 rev2.0. My problem is the EventID 51
| "...error
| | in device\harddisk2\D during the paging operation."
| | I tried both BIOS 4.3.33 and 4.3.47 for raid controller but the error
| | persists. I tried RAID configuration with single HDD and BASE
| configuration
| | WITH ALL RELATIVE DRIVERS but the EventID 51 persists. I tried
Memtest86
| for
| | about one hour without errors. Also I tried to reset CMOS, but the
| EventID
| | 51 persists.
| |
| | Gets to know somebody if my memory 2x512MB Kingston KVR400X64C25
| [2.5-3-3-8]
| | with Mosel Vitelic chips V58C2256804SAT5B, is compatible with my
| | motherboard? I have sent an email in the Giga-Byte and Kingston since
| 27/4
| | but up to today they have not answered.
| |
| | I tryed the newest FC BIOS but it's unable to boot in WinXP if I set
the
| | Kingston as dual channel. I get BSOD. If I set the Kingston as single
| | channel and CPU interface at optimal not at aggressive, my system boot
| | without the EventID 51.
| |
| | Also I tried a 2x512MB TwinMos M2G9J16A-TT [2.5-3-3-8] with TwinMos
| chips
| | TMD7608F8E50D, and in dual channel mode my system boot with BIOS FC
but
| the
| | EventID 51 presented 1-2 times for about every boot.
| |
| | Please tell your opinion about these conflicts. It's a memory or SATA
| | problem? Which memory is better?
| | Kingston KVR400X64C25 [2.5-3-3-8] with Mosel Vitelic chips
| V58C2256804SAT5B
| | or TwinMos M2G9J16A-TT [2.5-3-3-8] with TwinMos chips TMD7608F8E50D.
| |
| | Thanks in advance....
| |
| | ----------------------------------------------------------------------
| | GigaByte GA-7N400 PRO2 Rev 2.0
| | Athlon XP 3000+ @ 203*11 (3200+)
| | 2x512MB RAM Kingston DDR400 KVR400X64C25 @ 2.5-3-3-8
| | HD1 SATA WDC Raptor 360GD
| | HD2 PATA Seagate ST3120026A
| | VGA Prolink FX5600 Golden limited 256MB RAM AGP 8x
| | CDRW Plextor PX-W5224A
| | DVDRW Teac W58G
| | PSU Enermax EG465AX 460 Watt
| | Windows XP Professional with SP1
| |
| |
| |

| Try running your CPU at it's stock speed and your ram in dual-channel
| mode.
| You say it ran ok when the cpu was set to run at optimal settings
instead
| of
| aggressive and the ram in single channel. You've tried just about
| everything
| I can think of to do with the ram and the sata controller ... the only
| time
| it ran ok was with the cpu at stock speed but you seem to have ignored
| that
| and stayed on the track of blaming the ram.
|
| Let us know what the results are.
|
| Mal
| --
| Of course everything is in the last place you look!
| Why would you find it and keep on looking??!

sounds like the mobo doesn't like the kingston ram ... could be fixed in a
future bios update. Another option is to check the compatibility list for
the mobo and exchange for some DDR400 ram off that list?

Old May 4th 04, 06:02 PM
Yiannis

I thank you for your answers,

I believe that the problems is:

1. A very poor BIOS for GA-7N400 PRO2 Rev 2.0

2. A very low quality of the motherboard.

3. A very low compatibility of Kingston KVR400X64C25 (V58C2256804SAT5B)

3. A Silicon Image 3512A SATALink Controller.

I tested all of my hardware in another motherboard 7N400 PRO2 Rev 1.0
without any problem and I use FSB 210 MHz without any instability.

Can suggest some reliable motherboard?

Old May 5th 04, 04:17 AM
Chris

Hello,

I have the same error with a k8nnxp MB, running AMD 3400, Windows XP, SI
3512 controller (base), and Corsair Memory.

I get constant EventID51 when writing to an SATA drive. However, I have
gotten no corruption. I called Gigabyte and they were of no help what so
ever.

Old May 5th 04, 08:03 AM
Dimitris

"Yiannis" wrote in message ...
I thank you for your answers,

I believe that the problems is:

1. A very poor BIOS for GA-7N400 PRO2 Rev 2.0

2. A very low quality of the motherboard.

3. A very low compatibility of Kingston KVR400X64C25 (V58C2256804SAT5B)

3. A Silicon Image 3512A SATALink Controller.

I tested all of my hardware in another motherboard 7N400 PRO2 Rev 1.0
without any problem and I use FSB 210 MHz without any instability.

Can suggest some reliable motherboard?

Reliable under overclocking conditions? I cant think of any. You said
you have no problems with standard speed, so you cant rma the board.
Even if all work with another motherboard(Rev2.0 is different than
1.0!) this doesnt removes totally the possibility of bigger PSU need.
I read that Enermax had quite a few problems in systems with ATi
Radeon 9700(or higher) and gigabyte motherboards .
Old May 5th 04, 10:12 AM
Dimitris

"Chris" wrote in message ...
Hello,

I have the same error with a k8nnxp MB, running AMD 3400, Windows XP, SI
3512 controller (base), and Corsair Memory.

I get constant EventID51 when writing to an SATA drive. However, I have
gotten no corruption. I called Gigabyte and they were of no help what so
ever.

I tell you guys, if it isnt a driver/software problem then it is
either PSU(recommend Power=480W) or problematic Sii3512 chip. If you
can, put a cooling heatsink fan on 3512 chip. I suppose this will void
the motherboard warranty.
Old May 5th 04, 10:31 PM
How can I be down

It is probably a stupid Microsoft issue. I have seen an error similar on
windows servers that are running SCSI. If nothing is crashing, ignore it.