Do the Gigabyte boards set voltages correctly for CPU with default settings? CPU at 74C

Old May 3rd 04, 12:39 AM
KWW

Default Do the Gigabyte boards set voltages correctly for CPU with default settings? CPU at 74C

I just installed an XP2600+ on a GA7VM400M mobo running Win98SE. I messed
with the BIOS settings, basically letting it autodetect most of the
settings. It properly detected the 333 DDR, the XP2600+ CPU, etc , but as
soon as it starts up I get a warning from the EasyTune SW (and a commercial
tool that also checks temperature and fan speeds). Granted, I used the tape
that came with the CPU, may have to use my thermal paste instead, but I also
wonder if the voltage is set correctly for the CPU. I can't find what the
settings should be on the AMD website. The monitoring SW reads vcore 1.658V
and DDR V 1.280 .

I have the case open, all kinds of fans, etc. I was running a SOYO Dragon+
mobo with Athlon XP1600+ in an Antec case (350 Watt P/S). I have the
smartP/S connected to the mobo and the CPU fan also connected to the mobo.

1 Sony CD R/RW
1 floppy
1 Maxtor 120 Gb drive (7200 RPM)

That is ALL I have running at the moment. I was getting a voltage warning
on the other monitoring SW (non-Gigabyte) that the -12 voltage was running
on the low side (+12 was fine). I have never seen that before. I don't
know if it is because the SW was set up for the Soyo board or what.

Any thoughts? 74C is WAY too hot, I would think.
Thanks.

Old May 3rd 04, 03:08 AM
KWW

OK, so I finally found AMD's website, vcore nominal 1.65 V. I wonder why it
is running so hot? The max temp for that die is 85 C. I guess I will put
some of my GOOD thermal paste on it after scraping off that tape junk they
supplied with the PCU/cooler. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Regards,
KWW

Old May 3rd 04, 04:19 AM
wayne

you may want to check where the thermal sensor on the MB is does he MB in
setup show the temp the same?

Wayne

Old May 3rd 04, 11:01 AM
KWW

I will do that, thanks. Also, I found that AMD's site also does NOT include
this board in the recommended list of Gigabyte boards for this processor,
while Gigabyte tested it as "OK" on their site. Bummer. I may also opt for
the "conservative" default settings for the BIOS setup and see what that
does. I won't be able to mess with it any more until tonight.
Thanks.

Old May 4th 04, 05:22 AM
KWW

Temperature problem solved! It is now reading in the 20s C! (Granted, the
room is quite cool now too, but still....) Got a ThermoTake Quiet Cool...
Copper fins, etc...

Still getting warnings from the monitoring program, however, but this time
it is for the '12V power. (I was getting that before, but the temperature
was my first concern.)

I looked and low and behold, although the power supply is a good one, it is
only 300 Watts. Well, I have a 420 Watt P/S sitting around, surely that will
handle it... so I hooked it up and it only gets the board/fans to pulse for
a split second and then nothing happens. I put the old power supply back on
and it worked fine... just that -12 volt thing again... The 420 Watt P/S may
be bad... I will have to test it on another system tomorrow evening... but
what else might cause the fluxuating (and low) voltage on the -12 V leg ...
the +12 leg is about 12.5 or 12.6 V and fairly steady.

TIA
KWW