updated 7VTXH BIOS, now system stops suddenly

Old April 29th 04, 10:30 PM
nutso fasst

Default updated 7VTXH BIOS, now system stops suddenly

Updated the BIOS to F7 with the built-in updater, now system stops without
warning anywhere from a few seconds to about 10 minutes after boot. Power
supply must be turned off for a while before system will restart.

SIV utility shows CPU temp 52C, system temp 42, CPU and case fans 4200rpm,
voltages OK.

Not sure the BIOS had anything to do with this, this is the first time
system has been turned off in a long time and it's been running almost
continuous 24/7 for over three years. No problems prior to this.

Athlon 1700+ CPU, 1 512MB DDR, Antec 303XP power supply.

Anyone know a likely cause for this problem?

thanks,
nf

Old April 30th 04, 11:28 PM
nutso fasst

After posting I removed all boards and drives and restarted. System ran for
about an hour without shutdown, so I tried another video board. System shut
down again after some minutes. Took out video board and ran it again with
nothing attached. This time it shut down after about 10 minutes. This
morning I reinstalled boards, reattached drives and restarted to check
e-mail. System still running after five hours, CPU @ 52C, system @ 46C.
Maybe it'll run another three years if I don't turn it off... oops,
forgot... still haven't installed the new HDD...

nf

Old May 1st 04, 12:03 PM
Dimitris

"nutso fasst" wrote in message .com...
After posting I removed all boards and drives and restarted. System ran for
about an hour without shutdown, so I tried another video board. System shut
down again after some minutes. Took out video board and ran it again with
nothing attached. This time it shut down after about 10 minutes. This
morning I reinstalled boards, reattached drives and restarted to check
e-mail. System still running after five hours, CPU @ 52C, system @ 46C.
Maybe it'll run another three years if I don't turn it off... oops,
forgot... still haven't installed the new HDD...

nf

Possible causes:
1) Virus infected.
2) Inadequate power supply unit.
3) Temp sensors have become a bit jerky and give a higher temperature
than the actual for a few secs, which causes system to shutdown. GO to
bios and disable the option shutdown on overheating.
Old May 3rd 04, 07:36 PM
nutso fasst

Dimitris wrote:
Possible causes:
1) Virus infected.
2) Inadequate power supply unit.
3) Temp sensors have become a bit jerky and give a higher temperature
than the actual for a few secs, which causes system to shutdown. GO to
bios and disable the option shutdown on overheating.

Thanks for the suggestions. I surmised failing MB circuitry. The display
began to 'shimmer', a PCI modem caused the power LED to come on when the
system wasn't running, and I don't recall the system temp being that high in
the past. Fry's had a special on Athlon 2500+ with an ECS motherboard for
$80 and I bought it. Don't like the features of the ECS as well as Gigabyte,
but it's working OK and, according the health status in the BIOS, the 2500+
CPU is staying 42C or below (this board has no system temp sensor).

nf