Can anyone think of a reason

Old April 20th 04, 06:06 PM
S.O.S.D.D.

Default Can anyone think of a reason

Why wouldn't a mainboard not show any video or sound, even if I have
tried:
different CPU
different Video Card
No CPU Just speaker
Taken it out of the case
New power supply
Removed the battery then put it back in. (reset bios)
Checked speaker it works.
I have tried all these things If someone could think of any
thing else I would try if for sure.
TIA

--
I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I
think, "Well, that's not going to happen."

Old April 20th 04, 09:12 PM
Stephen Williams

"S.O.S.D.D." wrote in message
Why wouldn't a mainboard not show any video or sound, even if I have
tried:
different CPU
different Video Card
No CPU Just speaker
Taken it out of the case
New power supply
Removed the battery then put it back in. (reset bios)
Checked speaker it works.
I have tried all these things If someone could think of any
thing else I would try if for sure.
TIA

Maybe RAM?

But more likely that it's dead

Steve

Old April 21st 04, 02:45 AM
S.O.S.D.D.

"S.O.S.D.D." wrote in message
Why wouldn't a mainboard not show any video or sound, even if I have
tried:
different CPU
different Video Card
No CPU Just speaker
Taken it out of the case
New power supply
Removed the battery then put it back in. (reset bios)
Checked speaker it works.
I have tried all these things If someone could think of any
thing else I would try if for sure.
TIA

Maybe RAM?

But more likely that it's dead

Steve

I have tried another computer on the monitor that I was using for it. The

monitor worked fine.
I assumed that it would work on the problem compter too.
Even without a video card I should have heard the system beeps.
??? what do you think?

Old April 21st 04, 03:01 PM
Dimitris

"S.O.S.D.D." wrote in message news:0Mchc.190010$oR5.32819@pd7tw3no...
Why wouldn't a mainboard not show any video or sound, even if I have
tried:
different CPU
different Video Card
No CPU Just speaker
Taken it out of the case
New power supply
Removed the battery then put it back in. (reset bios)
Checked speaker it works.
I have tried all these things If someone could think of any
thing else I would try if for sure.
TIA

Probably the mobo is faulty. However check the floppy cables, some
mobos wont boot if they are put in reverse. To be sure, put only CPU,
one memory dimm and the agp card, remove any other sort of devices and
cables that plug on to the mobo like ide cables, floppy, audio,
usb,firewire e.t.c. Do a clear cmos using the jumper, then boot.
Old April 21st 04, 05:40 PM
Mark Irvine

"S.O.S.D.D." wrote in message
[...]

I know somebody that had the same problem, we pulled RAM, all cards,
everything except speaker and CPU. Sent M/B back, they did *something* and
sent it back claiming all well. It then worked. He then did BIOS reset and
hey presto locked again. M/B went back again, they sent it back and it is
OK, just he is not trying to reset bios via jumpers etc.......... Don't
know what they did (was it just wait long enough without power?) Doesn't
really help except to let you know you are not on your own....

Mark

Old April 21st 04, 06:38 PM
Dodgy

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 17:06:04 GMT, "S.O.S.D.D."
waffled on about something:

Why wouldn't a mainboard not show any video or sound, even if I have
tried:
different CPU
different Video Card
No CPU Just speaker
Taken it out of the case
New power supply
Removed the battery then put it back in. (reset bios)
Checked speaker it works.
I have tried all these things If someone could think of any
thing else I would try if for sure.
TIA

Do you have any memory in it?! If you've got more than one stick try
it with just one of them on it's own, then try the other one, again on
it's own.

Try it with no hard drive or floppy connected. I've seen some
motherboards that won't even turn on the psu via the ATX plug if the
HDD cable is in round the wrong way.

Do you have any sign of life on the motherboard? Does the power light
on the case light up? Does the CPU fan start to spin? Does the PSU fan
start to spin?

If not, you might have connected the Power switch to the wrong place
on the motherboard, or the switch itself might be faulty.

D0d6y.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES
Old April 22nd 04, 05:12 AM
Dimitris

"S.O.S.D.D." wrote in message news:0Mchc.190010$oR5.32819@pd7tw3no...
Why wouldn't a mainboard not show any video or sound, even if I have
tried:
different CPU
different Video Card
No CPU Just speaker
Taken it out of the case
New power supply
Removed the battery then put it back in. (reset bios)
Checked speaker it works.
I have tried all these things If someone could think of any
thing else I would try if for sure.
TIA

if it is a motherboard for intel processor, you have to plug another 4
pin(shaped as square)12v connector, along with the big main voltage
plug(which is 2pinsx8pins i think).
Old April 22nd 04, 06:39 AM
S.O.S.D.D.

Sorry folks I didn't give you the whole story.
It's a Gigabyte board with via chip AMD 1600 512 meg DDR 2100
All started when I put a new Heatsink and Fan on it. Before that it ran like
a top.
first thing I did was dissconnect one drive at a time, checking each
time
It wouldn't start up no fans no beeps nothing like it wasn't getting any
power.
But this was not concistant sometimes it would start other times not.
I figured it might be the power supply, so I replaced it with a brand new
one. Enermax. only change was the fans worked all the time.
Then I took all the other things off, Soundcard etc. booting after each
one was removed. Same, no change.
Next took the CPU out and put another one same kind in. still same
Tried another Video card. same no change
I then took out the battery left it for a few hours. No change
I put the ram into another computer and it worked fine.
video card and monitor were all checked the same way in another computer
I took the board out of the case hot booted it same just fans running no
beeps. I've just about run out of things I can think of doing.
any other suggestions??? TIA you folks have been great.