GA-7AVXP 160GB drives...

Old April 20th 04, 06:33 AM
Maxx Pollare

Default GA-7AVXP 160GB drives...

There's a sale on here Maxtor 160GB/8MB cache Ultra ATA/133 drives and
I was thing of picking up 2 for a "data drive" set-up...

Does anyone know if the onboard Promise RAID allows Win98 to "get past"
the 137GB limit? I have run dual 80s in RAID-0 without any problems,
but I'm not sure about dual 160s in RAID-1.

--
Maxwell C.G. Pollare, a "small god" in his own mind...
Old April 20th 04, 05:01 PM
Dimitris

Maxx Pollare wrote in message t...
There's a sale on here Maxtor 160GB/8MB cache Ultra ATA/133 drives and
I was thing of picking up 2 for a "data drive" set-up...

Does anyone know if the onboard Promise RAID allows Win98 to "get past"
the 137GB limit? I have run dual 80s in RAID-0 without any problems,
but I'm not sure about dual 160s in RAID-1.

Well if you can see 80x2=160gb as a single drive in win98, then you
probably can see 160x2=320gb as a single drive.

Another try is that if you can fdisk it into smaller partitions137gb
you will be able to see it. In windows 98 you are forced to fat32,
hence seeing 320gb as a single drive isnt wise, unless you will use it
for large video/dvd files.

Another puzzle is if the promise raid controller can see a single
drive bigger than 137gb.
Old April 20th 04, 09:46 PM
Maxx Pollare

The voice of "Dimitris" drifted in on the cyber-winds,
from the sea of virtual chaos...

Does anyone know if the onboard Promise RAID allows Win98 to "get
past" the 137GB limit? I have run dual 80s in RAID-0 without any
problems, but I'm not sure about dual 160s in RAID-1.

Well if you can see 80x2=160gb as a single drive in win98, then
you probably can see 160x2=320gb as a single drive.

Actually, I looking at 160&160=160 (RAID-1)...

Another try is that if you can fdisk it into smaller
partitions137gb you will be able to see it. In windows 98 you are
forced to fat32, hence seeing 320gb as a single drive isnt wise,
unless you will use it for large video/dvd files.

Probably...
But would it be safe to create partitions past the 137GB mark?

--
Maxwell C.G. Pollare, a "small god" in his own mind...
Old April 21st 04, 07:08 AM
Dimitris

Maxx Pollare wrote in message t...
The voice of "Dimitris" drifted in on the cyber-winds,
from the sea of virtual chaos...

Does anyone know if the onboard Promise RAID allows Win98 to "get
past" the 137GB limit? I have run dual 80s in RAID-0 without any
problems, but I'm not sure about dual 160s in RAID-1.

Well if you can see 80x2=160gb as a single drive in win98, then
you probably can see 160x2=320gb as a single drive.

Actually, I looking at 160&160=160 (RAID-1)...

Another try is that if you can fdisk it into smaller
partitions137gb you will be able to see it. In windows 98 you are
forced to fat32, hence seeing 320gb as a single drive isnt wise,
unless you will use it for large video/dvd files.

Probably...
But would it be safe to create partitions past the 137GB mark?

I think so, especially since you will be using it in mirror mode,you
wont have any problems cause you already work successfully with
160gb(in strip mode though).