HELP! GA-7DXR Mainboard Won't Boot This Morning!

Old April 17th 04, 05:04 PM
Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

Default HELP! GA-7DXR Mainboard Won't Boot This Morning!

I usually leave my machines on 24/7, so they're normally operational when I
arrive. Today was different: I arived to the BIOS boot screen, stuck at
"Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM: Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM: "

I reset, but the machine always hangs at that point. I powered down and
rebooted, but still hangs at that point. I suspect the 7DXR has died.

Anyone have this happen? What caused it?\

I have a new power supply that I electively upgraded last month. It's a
Antec True430. Can't figure out what's wrong with it. Is it motherboard or
CPU or ??

--

Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

Business sites at:
www.dv-clips.com NOW ONLINE!
www.mwcomms.com
www.adventuresinanimemusic.com NEW Streaming Archives!
-

Old April 17th 04, 06:35 PM
Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

UPDATE:
I fired up my laptop, got my mail and received a bounced message (probably
spoofed) about having cleaned a W32Beagle virus. I don't think it was from
me, because I had just done a virus scan 24 hours ago and was clean and
haven't opened any e-mails of unknown origin since then.

Just to be sure, I was going to backup my system with Norton Ghost just now,
but Ghost failed when it got to the part where I had selected the partition
to back up. I got a General Exception error. The only other time I got this
error was when my wife's drive failed on her machine and when my Maxtor
drive failed on this machine a little over a week ago. This drive is a
Western Digital.

Any ideas?

--

Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

Business sites at:
www.dv-clips.com NOW ONLINE!
www.mwcomms.com
www.adventuresinanimemusic.com NEW Streaming Archives!
-

link.net...

Old April 18th 04, 12:12 AM
Jim Schuster

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss wrote:

I usually leave my machines on 24/7, so they're normally operational
when I arrive. Today was different: I arived to the BIOS boot screen,
stuck at "Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM: Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM: "

I reset, but the machine always hangs at that point. I powered down
and rebooted, but still hangs at that point. I suspect the 7DXR has
died.

Anyone have this happen? What caused it?\

I have a new power supply that I electively upgraded last month. It's
a Antec True430. Can't figure out what's wrong with it. Is it
motherboard or CPU or ??

I don't understand why you would get a BIOS screen if the PC is left on
continuously, unless there a power outage where this PC is located and
you don't have the PC connected to a UPS. If this is the case, check
your hard drive--the power surge might have killed the drive.
Old April 18th 04, 10:42 AM
Aussie

Well, sounds like u've just lost ur MBR (MasterBootRecord)And i also read ur
other post's .I think ur machine/s r infected with some kind of mail
attachments and/or virus'.I hope im wrong but all of ur problems indicates
that way..But one thing for sure;ur mobo is ok.Also ur backup prog. NGhost
could be infected is well..Ur best bet is starting over again i think.Just
make sure ; whatever cd/floopy u use screened and/or cleaned by a decent
AV...
GoodLuck

Old April 18th 04, 11:55 AM
Dimitris

"Mark & Mary Ann Weiss" wrote in message hlink.net...
I usually leave my machines on 24/7, so they're normally operational when I
arrive. Today was different: I arived to the BIOS boot screen, stuck at
"Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM: Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM: "

I reset, but the machine always hangs at that point. I powered down and
rebooted, but still hangs at that point. I suspect the 7DXR has died.

Anyone have this happen? What caused it?\

I have a new power supply that I electively upgraded last month. It's a
Antec True430. Can't figure out what's wrong with it. Is it motherboard or
CPU or ??

--

Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

Business sites at:
www.dv-clips.com NOW ONLINE!
www.mwcomms.com
www.adventuresinanimemusic.com NEW Streaming Archives!
-

It more likely that your harddrive has died or has bad sectors. Boot
sector of hard disk.should be at least bad, cause from your symptom it
seems that the pc cannot boot from hard disk.
A small possibility is that your mobo's dmi pool need a reset. Do a
clear cmos using the jumper or load bios fail-safe defaults and see.
Things you should do to avoid situation like these:
1) Put fans in front or above your hard disks. If possible make the
harddisk to go to sleep using the winxp power options. Thus hard disk
stops rotating when not needed and its life is extended.
2) Get a UPS which is line interactive.
3) In case you leave the machine as an http/ftp server you need a good
firewall.
Old April 21st 04, 07:06 PM
Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

It more likely that your harddrive has died or has bad sectors. Boot
sector of hard disk.should be at least bad, cause from your symptom it
seems that the pc cannot boot from hard disk.
A small possibility is that your mobo's dmi pool need a reset. Do a
clear cmos using the jumper or load bios fail-safe defaults and see.
Things you should do to avoid situation like these:
1) Put fans in front or above your hard disks. If possible make the
harddisk to go to sleep using the winxp power options. Thus hard disk
stops rotating when not needed and its life is extended.
2) Get a UPS which is line interactive.
3) In case you leave the machine as an http/ftp server you need a good
firewall.

System scanned clean of viruses the night it happened.
Cleared CMOS and also reset config data.
Problem was only solved once I restored a Ghost image backup.
My Ghost program is on CD and cannot be infected unless Semantic shipped it
that way.
I have SIX large fans in this system. System drive is in the force flow of a
120mm and 80mm fan at the front of case.
System power is conditioned by a TrippLite line conditioner and a big
enterprise APC UPS.
System is behind a hardware firewall and C$ admin share was disabled. Not
running a server on the affected PC. Other PCs in this network scanned clean
before and after the event.
Apparently the bugbear virus is running all over YahooGroups mailing list. I
got several more messages from various users today that were 'cleaned' by
Yahoo.
I'm convinced it's an intermittent hardware problem. System was fine until I
upgraded the system drive 3+ weeks ago. that drive failed after 168 hours.
Replaced with drive of a different make. System failure occured less than
one week after installation of that drive.
Question remains what caused it. Random motherboard error that trashed the
MBR? Not sure. Replacing motherboard, CPU and RAM next week when it comes
in. Not taking any chances.

--
Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

VIDEO PRODUCTION . FILM SCANNING . AUDIO RESTORATION
Hear my Kurzweil Creations at: http://www.dv-clips.com/theater.htm
Business sites at:
www.dv-clips.com

Old April 22nd 04, 06:37 PM
Dimitris

[...]

Well if it aint virus, heat, power supply(how many watt is it?), then
it is either a bad mobo/pci controller(common in all cases of failure)
or just unusual bad luck.
I tend to beleive its the motherboard controller (or pci controller )
cause its the only thing that can cause low level hard disk errors
like do random writing that causes file data and format data(which are
written to disk during format) to become corrupted. As it seems the
boot sector data was corrupted, though it wasnt a bad sector cause you
were able to ghost over.
Check the quality of the cables also, if they pass above large mobo
chips or say memory chips(which radiate significant amount of EMI). Of
course cables are shielded but you never know.
What else? A sabotage? )))