problem with processor?

Old April 9th 04, 08:23 PM
Matt

Default problem with processor?

Hi,

I've just swapped my P4 2.6 for a hyper-threading 2.8 and the bios post says
that it is 1.4ghz. In System Properties (XP Pro) it says "Pentium(R) 4 CPU
2.80GHz" but under that it says "1.41GHz".
Also the post says "200mhz dual-channel mode" but I'm using 2 x 266MHz 256mb
DDR.

Its a GA-8INXP and I've tried F3, 4 and 5 bioses.

Any ideas people???

matt

Old April 9th 04, 08:49 PM
sig666

Matt wrote:
Hi,

I've just swapped my P4 2.6 for a hyper-threading 2.8 and the bios post says
that it is 1.4ghz. In System Properties (XP Pro) it says "Pentium(R) 4 CPU
2.80GHz" but under that it says "1.41GHz".
Also the post says "200mhz dual-channel mode" but I'm using 2 x 266MHz 256mb
DDR.

Its a GA-8INXP and I've tried F3, 4 and 5 bioses.

Any ideas people???

matt

Did you emable hyperthreading in the BIOS? This has to be done.
Old April 9th 04, 09:20 PM
Matt

yes its enabled. Maybe its a bug with the bios. Device Manager shows 2
Pentium 4 2.8GHz, I'm assuming this is to do with HT?
"sig666" wrote in message
news

Old April 9th 04, 11:54 PM
Stephen Williams

"Matt" wrote in message
Hi,

I've just swapped my P4 2.6 for a hyper-threading 2.8 and the bios post

says
that it is 1.4ghz. In System Properties (XP Pro) it says "Pentium(R) 4 CPU
2.80GHz" but under that it says "1.41GHz".
Also the post says "200mhz dual-channel mode" but I'm using 2 x 266MHz

256mb
DDR.

Its a GA-8INXP and I've tried F3, 4 and 5 bioses.

Any ideas people???

matt

Your front side bus is set to 100MHz (400 effective), you need to increase
it to 200. You need to make sure the RAM still runs at 266 effective, by
setting the memory to 2:3. Otherwise it will try and run the RAM at 400MHz
which yours can't do.

It's unlikely there are any faults with your hardware, just an incorrect
setting in the BIOS.

Steve

Old April 10th 04, 12:07 AM
Matt

I've found the problem now. My 2.8 is 800fsb which the 8INXP doesn't
support. New MB for me....

cheers,
matt

Old April 11th 04, 07:45 AM
Udo Kammer

I've found the problem now. My 2.8 is 800fsb which the 8INXP doesn't
support. New MB for me....

There exist no FSB800. It is only Quadspeed of FSB200. Do, what
Stephen has written, and your P4 will run as a P4 2.8.

Udo Kammer
Old April 11th 04, 09:56 AM
Stephen Williams

"Matt" wrote in message
I've found the problem now. My 2.8 is 800fsb which the 8INXP doesn't
support. New MB for me....

cheers,
matt

If your motherboard is able to reach 200FSB (which will quad pump to
800FSB), and it also supports the ability to lock the PCI/AGP busses, AND
can run the RAM at 2:3 of the FSB (works out to be 133MHz, which in DDR
terms is 266 which matches your RAM) then you do not need to change the
board. Just because it lacks official support, doesn't mean it definitly
won't work.

Steve

Unusual DVD-rom problem Sizif General 0 July 7th 04 03:25 PM
Restart problem DJS0302 General 4 June 21st 04 03:33 PM
This problem has baffled everyone... Nick G General 46 May 22nd 04 04:01 AM
* A7N8X bios/boot problem - Save & Exit death problem ? Jay Bittle Asus Motherboards 1 January 12th 04 08:16 AM
AMD Athlon XP 3000+ problem Mark Overclocking AMD Processors 6 July 13th 03 02:42 PM