8IRXP OCed to 150 FSB, but RAM?

Old December 29th 03, 07:25 PM
Doc

Default 8IRXP OCed to 150 FSB, but RAM?

Had this GB 8IRXP since the 'reboot' problems and so far I'm
okay with 'shutting down' instead of 'restarting'. It is a bit
long in the tooth but I cannot afford to replace it yet.

I've got a 1.6 OCed to 2.4 (FSB at 150) but the DDR is 2100 (good
stuff from Mushkin) and won't do the full 150... have it asynched
and WANT to upgrade to a couple of 512 sticks that WILL do synch at
150 (not taking advantage of full bandwidth).

Anyone with OCed 8IRXP that has DDR running at same 1:1 speed ratio
and what memory? Thanks.
--
Rich "Doc" Colley

mailto:

Old December 29th 03, 08:58 PM
Stephen Williams

"Doc" wrote in message
Had this GB 8IRXP since the 'reboot' problems and so far I'm
okay with 'shutting down' instead of 'restarting'. It is a bit
long in the tooth but I cannot afford to replace it yet.

I've got a 1.6 OCed to 2.4 (FSB at 150) but the DDR is 2100 (good
stuff from Mushkin) and won't do the full 150... have it asynched
and WANT to upgrade to a couple of 512 sticks that WILL do synch at
150 (not taking advantage of full bandwidth).

Anyone with OCed 8IRXP that has DDR running at same 1:1 speed ratio
and what memory? Thanks.
--

Any budget RAM should handle that. You want a DDR effective rate of 300MHz,
which any PC2700 or PC3200 can do with ease. It's like trying to find a

Steve

Old December 29th 03, 11:38 PM
Doc

Stephen Williams typed this:

"Doc" wrote in message

Had this GB 8IRXP since the 'reboot' problems and so far I'm
okay with 'shutting down' instead of 'restarting'. It is a bit
long in the tooth but I cannot afford to replace it yet.

I've got a 1.6 OCed to 2.4 (FSB at 150) but the DDR is 2100 (good
stuff from Mushkin) and won't do the full 150... have it asynched
and WANT to upgrade to a couple of 512 sticks that WILL do synch at
150 (not taking advantage of full bandwidth).

Anyone with OCed 8IRXP that has DDR running at same 1:1 speed ratio
and what memory? Thanks.
--

Any budget RAM should handle that. You want a DDR effective rate of 300MHz,
which any PC2700 or PC3200 can do with ease. It's like trying to find a
Porche that will do 30mph

...ahh, the 'ol bathtubs!
Yeah, want to get something that will stick with me a bit longer
too... not sure what I'll update to next but guess I'll have to
have the dual ddr stuff for the 875/865 or sis chipsets...

One of these sticks is 2100 , other is 2700 (it DID not alone handle
the 300!? At all! Mushkin is good too...) Danka.

--
Rich "Doc" Colley

mailto:

Old December 29th 03, 11:44 PM
Doc

Ooops,
Need DDR that will run at the 2.66 multiplier. So about 400 or
so... that could be interesting. I've got the system at 150 or
MemBus of 300... but it isn't taking full advantage. I have gotten
Memory up to nearly 400, dies around 360 or so... but maybe it
cannot be done.

Old December 29th 03, 11:57 PM
Big Daddy

on Mon December 29 2003 2:25 pm, Doc decided to enlighten us with:

Had this GB 8IRXP since the 'reboot' problems and so far I'm
okay with 'shutting down' instead of 'restarting'. It is a bit
long in the tooth but I cannot afford to replace it yet.

I've got a 1.6 OCed to 2.4 (FSB at 150) but the DDR is 2100 (good
stuff from Mushkin) and won't do the full 150... have it asynched
and WANT to upgrade to a couple of 512 sticks that WILL do synch at
150 (not taking advantage of full bandwidth).

I assume you didn't upgrade your BIOS to the one that crippled the voltage
adjustment? I've never heard of anyone getting an FSB that high on this
board. I remember people complaining about needing 1.85 volts to be stable
at 133 MHz.

I have the same board, but I'm not as enthusiastic about overclocking. I
have a 110 MHz FSB, but I've had it as high as 125. I have F9 BIOS, though
and can't get to 1.85 volts to really make it shine.

I understand that the F3 BIOS could reach it without reboot problems.
Old December 30th 03, 02:14 AM
Doc

Big Daddy typed this:
[...]

I am only advancing the Clock to 1.75, no more. Stable as can be...
Will look into better RAM that will run at the 2.66 setting and not just
the 2.0.. thanks.

--
Rich "Doc" Colley

mailto:

Old December 30th 03, 04:16 PM
John

"Stephen Williams" wrote in message

"Doc" wrote in message
Had this GB 8IRXP since the 'reboot' problems and so far I'm
okay with 'shutting down' instead of 'restarting'. It is a bit
long in the tooth but I cannot afford to replace it yet.

I've got a 1.6 OCed to 2.4 (FSB at 150) but the DDR is 2100 (good
stuff from Mushkin) and won't do the full 150... have it asynched
and WANT to upgrade to a couple of 512 sticks that WILL do synch at
150 (not taking advantage of full bandwidth).

Anyone with OCed 8IRXP that has DDR running at same 1:1 speed ratio
and what memory? Thanks.
--

Any budget RAM should handle that. You want a DDR effective rate of

300MHz,
which any PC2700 or PC3200 can do with ease. It's like trying to find a
Porche that will do 30mph

Steve

Don't get Kingmax 3200 (DDR400) for this board. Kingmax 2700 will achieve a
higher
FSB in this board than Kingmax 3200. Compatibility issue...

Old December 30th 03, 04:17 PM
John

"Doc" wrote in message

[...]

You'll achieve better stability at higher FSB's if you use just one stick of
RAM in this board (not 2)

Old December 30th 03, 04:21 PM
John

"Doc" wrote in message
Big Daddy typed this:
[...]

This board doesn't have bus locking. Once you get above 150 FSB you should
consider
changing the AGP/PCI ratios (can't remember what it's called in the bios).
The AGP/PCI
speeds are only in spec at 133 and 166 FSB. 150 is the midpoint...

Old December 30th 03, 07:53 PM
Doc

John typed this:

"Doc" wrote in message

[...]

Right. I'm not going any higher for the FSB, just the memory multiplier.
Still looking for the right RAM... OCZ maybe or the newest Mushkin...
have to see. Thanks.
--
Rich "Doc" Colley

mailto: