Where are advanced BIOS settings on 8KNXP??

Old August 29th 03, 05:13 PM
Charlie Smith

Default Where are advanced BIOS settings on 8KNXP??

Manual says to punch CTRL+F1 to get into advanced settings. Tried this
durring and after POST, and while looking at the BIOS menu screen (the one
you get by hitting DEL during POST), with no effect. Using BIOS version
F6. What am I doing wrong??

Also, is there a way to disable APM on this board?? System still reboots on
Win XP shutdown.
Thanks, Charlie

Old August 29th 03, 05:43 PM
marcusD

On mine the Advanced Bios is right there on the first screen
that comes up with the Bios. Page 40 of my User's Manual
shows the screen, and Advanced is the second entry.
AFAIK this will apply to Bios vers 4 thru 6.
If you want to 'kick it up a notch' go to the last item, Frequency Control.

I've heard that an automatic reboot on shutdown is a hardware
conflict. Maybe one of the gurus will come along to assist you
on that one.

Old August 30th 03, 12:21 AM
Timothy Drouillard

With mine, I get into the normal BIOS setup, THEN I hit ctl-F1.

At first glance the screen looks the same, till I noticed one of the menu's
on the right side wasn't there before, then I started going into all the
menu's and sure enough there were many additional settings.

Old August 30th 03, 04:36 AM
Bob Davis

It adds another section, "Advanced chipset options" or similar, and also
adds more options in at least one other section.

Old August 30th 03, 06:04 PM
marcusD

Oh oh, mine doesn't do that. Ctrl + F1 makes the screen flash, nothing
changes. The items on the right side are help items explaining the
option highlighted in the left colum. My board is Rev 1.0 with Bios F6 from
Gigabyte.

Old August 30th 03, 06:22 PM
Timothy Drouillard

'just for the hell of it'.......
try using your 'other' ctl key on the outside chance that the ctl key you're
using isn't working properly, giving you the effect of just hitting the F1
(help) key.

Old August 30th 03, 09:44 PM
marcusD

Ok, here's what happens. Ctrl + F1 makes only one change to the bios
screen, and that is to add "Top Performance" on the top of the right side,
over Select Language. And, Top Performance only has two choices,
enabled or disabled. That item, by the way, is not covered in the Users
Manual. Otherwise, my Users Manual matches my bios screen exactly,
and Advanced Bios Features is always shown on the left side as the
second item, under Standard CMOS Function. I'd like to know what
options you guys see when you bring up your Advanced Bios...and if it
is referenced in your Users Manual, what page? My Users Manual is
dated April 16 2003, and my Bios is described starting on page 39.

Old August 30th 03, 10:23 PM
Mr E

marcusD wrote:
Ok, here's what happens. Ctrl + F1 makes only one change to the bios
screen, and that is to add "Top Performance" on the top of the right
side, over Select Language. And, Top Performance only has two
choices,
enabled or disabled. That item, by the way, is not covered in the
Users Manual. Otherwise, my Users Manual matches my bios screen
exactly,
and Advanced Bios Features is always shown on the left side as the
second item, under Standard CMOS Function. I'd like to know what
options you guys see when you bring up your Advanced Bios...and if it
is referenced in your Users Manual, what page? My Users Manual is
dated April 16 2003, and my Bios is described starting on page 39.

I think you'll find that the date is the effective date for the 'Declaration
of Conformity' rather than the date of the manual. My copy of the manual has
Bios featured described as you say on page 39.

I seem to recall that the main differences between the standard BIOS and the
Advanced BIOS (as achieved through pressing CTRL-F1) appears on the screen
relating to memory timings. You can actually change the timings in the
advanced BIOS. I'm sure there were some other differences too.

Take care,

John.

Old August 30th 03, 10:24 PM
Timothy Drouillard

Take a closer look.

On the ride hand menu, they add 'Top Performance' menu

On the left hand menu they add 'Advanced Chipset Features'.

I didn't take the time to explore the menus nor look what's in the 'Advanced
Chipset Features sub-menu yet.

Right now I just wanted to point out that there are TWO ADDITIONAL menu
items in the Advanced BIOS (ctl-F1) menus.

Old August 30th 03, 10:38 PM
marcusD

Thanks, I'll keep looking, I'm new to this board but you'd think I could find
a bios item...oh well.

Alert at bootup Katy Asus Motherboards 3 September 24th 04 01:43 PM
SP2 865/875 Microcode Industry Failure? Ron Reaugh Asus Motherboards 31 September 13th 04 12:02 PM
A8V random reboots - Turn off BIOS "auto" settings? Bill Asus Motherboards 11 August 21st 04 11:04 PM
Bios Settings for A7N8X-X and Athlon XP 2800+ Edson Alvarenga Asus Motherboards 2 May 26th 04 12:45 PM
Help with BIOS settings Alan Homebuilt PC's 4 January 23rd 04 03:39 AM