What can be?????

Old August 28th 03, 05:13 PM
Nate Grey

Default What can be?????

I have had errors in the past like this when the master and Slave settings
are incorrect on the drives. Worth a check......

"theo" wrote in message
. ..
Into my computer the BX2000 mainboard, upgraded with the F9 biosversion.
As harddisk I'm using the Maxtor 6Y200PO, (200GB).
I'm running windows xp pro on this.

Now I'm facing the problem that windows doesn't start up anymore.

The symptones are these:

- First the bios detects first en second master and slave disk (these all
are present and in the bios is standing to detect them automaticly)
- Second the HDD S.M.A.R.T. capability will be enabled.
- Third you will see your PCI device listing-list
- Fourth is Verifying DMI Pool Data

After this line windows has to start up but instead I'm hearing the

computer
a smalle sound (like the detection of the 1.44mb-disk-station) and on the
screen where the line Primairy Master HDD S.M.A.R.T. capability ....

enabled
was standing is standing now the same line but the 'b' of enabled is
missing. Like this: Primairy Master HDD S.M.A.R.T. capability .... ena

led.

I have three possible solutions for this:
1. my bios or mainboard is damaged I need to buy a new one
2. my harddisk is the problem (don't think so because I have had the

same
problem with my old harddisk, IBM-dpta-372730 (27GB), inside)
3. or windows is the problem.

Anyone any idea?????

Old August 28th 03, 05:46 PM
theo

Nate,

I have checked them. The jumpersettings on the drives were fine.

Primairy master is the maxtordrive, primairy slave is the IBMdrive. With the
jumper on the harddrives I set it this way. The bios is detecting it all
automaticly.
The only thing which I find strange, is the new cable between the mainboard
and the drives.

Normally you put the masterdrive first at that cable and the slave is on the
end.
With the new cable (round and 80 wires) according to the description the
master is placed at the end and the slave in the middle.

"Nate Grey" wrote in message
I have had errors in the past like this when the master and Slave settings
are incorrect on the drives. Worth a check......

. ..