BSOD on new system?

Old August 24th 03, 08:13 AM
Frans Groot

Default BSOD on new system?

"Mike Conrad" wrote:

Hope somebody can help me here...

I have just built a new system consisting of:
Gigabyte GA-7NNXP mobo w/ Athlon XP 2600 chip
GeForce Ti 4200 8X AGP video
1 GB PC 3200 DDR RAM
Western Digital Caviar 80 GB 7200 RPM hard drive.

This was all assembled and tested by the retailer that I purchased the parts
from and all seems fine, well kinda. System boots and detects everything
correctly, but there are problems when I get past the first screen of the
BIOS. The system randomly locks up while in the BIOS changing settings
and/or in the RAID config. utility (which I have disabled now). Or, if that
doesn't happen and I get to install Win XP from the CD drive, I get a
problem there. After the initial files are loaded and the message
"Preparing to start windows" appears, I receive the dreaded BSOD. The only
info. I get from it is "page_fault_in_nonpaged_area" and some
info/suggestions that don't help. I am extremely perplexed by this problem.
Is there any help out there?

Mike

Most likely this is a BIOS settings problem. Try different settings
for the memory-timings in the BIOS. A bios-update might also help.
good luck
Frans

Old August 25th 03, 03:08 AM
Mike Conrad

UPDATE:

The system seems to be booting ok and enters Windows Setup. However, I get
a message saying something to the effect that I have no mass storage device
installed, nor can I install one. My mobo has the SATA/RAID feature which I
know nothing about. Do I need to install the drivers for this, or can it be
disabled, or something else? After I choose to use no mass storage device
(or whatever it says), I get the blue screen. Another suggestion on the
blue screen is to disable BIOS memory caching/shadowing, but I don't see any
options like this, even after hitting "Ctrl+F1". Any other help out there?

Mike

Old August 25th 03, 03:22 AM
Tim

Where is your HDD plugged in? Is it a SATA drive? If it is make sure the
SATA controller is not set to RAID.
If it is not a SATA drive, is it plugged into IDE1? If not, plug it in
there.

Check your bios - have you disabled your IDE or SATA controller - whichever
you are using?

- Tim

Old August 25th 03, 05:07 AM
Mike Conrad

Sorry for being "uneducated" as far as SATA and RAID go, but all I know is
that my hard drive is Enhanced IDE Western Digital Caviar and is plugged
into IDE 1 on the mobo. The CD-R drive is plugged into the IDE 2 plug.
I'll have to check on the BIOS settings, but that will be in the morn :^)

Thanks,

Mike

Old August 27th 03, 02:08 AM
Mike Conrad

OK, tried something else, and got an interesting reaction.

I took the hard drive out of my working computer (this one) and connected it
to the new system. When it was ready to show the windows splash screen, i
saw a bsod flicker and the system restarted itself. Does this mean
anything?

Mike

Old August 27th 03, 02:38 AM
BBunny

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 00:37:58 +0000, Mike Conrad wrote:

Thanks for all the tips, Tim. I tried everything imaginable, but still no
luck. Here's what I've got:

HD is plugged in to IDE 1 (which is a different color from the other IDE
plugs...)
Cable is plugged in the right way and in the end of the cable, not the
middle
All RAID and other frilly stuff is disabled in BIOS
HD is detected in BIOS correctly as primary master
All stuff that I'm not sure of is set to "AUTO"
There is a setting, "Onboard H/W Serial ATA" which can be set to RAID or
BASE. I have tried RAID, BASE, and DISABLED

All settings allow me to get to Windows Setup from the CD, but it's at that
point that weird things happen:

Sometimes the install just freezes as the initial files are being loaded,
reboot necessary ---- most often
Sometimes I get to the "Starting Windows" dialog, just in time to get the
blue screen
Sometimes I get to the same point, but the system just restarts on its own

I really don't know what else to try. I have never had this much trouble
with a system before and am getting very frustrated The only consolation
is that my hard drive and CD drive are detected correctly, and always have
been. At least that's something to work on...

Any more suggestions?

Mike

snip snip for brevity

I don't know why all the talk about SATA. Your problem as read by me is
when windows tries to load setup into ramdisk that it fails. Or starting
windows when the OS tries to copy files to the HDD. Problem = RAM, CPU or
Mainboard. Give memtest86 a shot. It sure reads like RAM.
good luck

Old August 30th 03, 01:49 AM
Michael Conrad

Thanks for all the help folks...

I tested the RAM one stick at a time and everything worked fine with one,
but not the other, so it's time to replace the other. That really sucks,
considering it's brand new, but at least everything is back to normal.

Mike

"Jose Cabrero" wrote in message
I would say there is nothing wrong with your IDE drive. Something else is
the problem. Maybe memory...

Old September 11th 03, 05:08 PM
Brett R

If your getting page faults and lockups and so on, my money is on memory...
check out your memory with memtest. that will show up any problems. I did
see a quite lengthy sugestion outlining some good steps. If you have done
all that has been sugested, there should be no reason why you havent found
your problem at least.

Patience and never forget the basics,if it seems out of the question, 9
times out of 10, its usually the problem.

Cheers big ears
Brett Redfern

"Tim" wrote in message

[...]

BSOD when i try to logon (ADSL) Nomadic One General 0 January 12th 04 04:18 PM
Happy Birthday America SST Overclocking 333 November 27th 03 07:54 PM
PII vs PIII Gregory L. Hansen General 114 October 15th 03 05:56 PM
BSOD MiniDisc_2k2 General 9 July 14th 03 11:54 AM
how much can i overclock my computer en how MiniDisc_2k2 Overclocking 2 July 6th 03 12:58 AM