GA-8KNXP setup

Old August 21st 03, 02:20 AM
marcusD

Default GA-8KNXP setup

What's the secret to using a hard drive on IDE 3 or 4? I know IDE 1 is
recommended for a single drive; is that because they will not work on
3 and 4 or do they just work better on 1 and 2?

Old August 21st 03, 02:45 AM
Tim

IDE 3 and 4 are on the GigaRaid controller - aka ITE.

If you want one (or only) ordinary disc on IDE 3 or 4 you will need to check
the ITE controller is enabled in the bios and set to the Non Raid setting.
In the RAID setting, you must have discs insalled in pairs to be able to
configure the RAID.

So, if you are not wanting RAID, forget about drivers and RAID and make sure
the bios is not set to RAID for the ITE...

If you do want RAID... you need drivers installed.

- Tim

Old August 21st 03, 05:01 AM
Bob Davis

How do single drives run on the GigaRaid controller? Do they run as slow as
in the RAID configurations we've heard so much about? How does it compare
to IDE 1&2?

Old August 21st 03, 06:45 AM
Tim

I haven't benchmarked.

The drive is only there cos if I put it on IDE1 I can't boot off the SATA
drive with XP on.
Seems "OK". It is only used for backups.

- Tim

Old August 21st 03, 05:12 PM
marcusD

Thanks, I've been looking for ITE controller choices in bios but no luck,
I'll
look again knowing they are there someplace. Don't want raid, just want to
backup (with Drive Image) a HDD on IDE 1 or 2 to a HDD on IDE 3, then
shutdown 3 for emergency backup use.

Old August 21st 03, 05:14 PM
marcusD

Thanks Matt, I was just about to try that idea to see if it would work.

"Matt" wrote in message

"marcusD" wrote in message
What's the secret to using a hard drive on IDE 3 or 4? I know IDE 1 is
recommended for a single drive; is that because they will not work on
3 and 4 or do they just work better on 1 and 2?

Any IDE channel will work the same. However if you need to install Windows
XP then it needs to be connected to IDE 1 first in order to install it.

Then
you can move the drive to IDE 3 or 4.

Matt

Old August 21st 03, 05:40 PM
marcusD

My Bios (5) allows the ITE Ctrl Boot Order to be set with the ITE
first. I've done that, is that what you mean by "enable ITE"?

I see no option to set the non-Raid setting. Maybe because I do not
have a drive on 3 or 4 now, but there's no such a choice in Bios. I've
tried Ctrl C and Ctrl S during post but it boots right past that selection.

Old August 21st 03, 09:51 PM
Tim

The ITE RAID aka GigaRaid is the last controller / raid entry in the list.
Highlight the RAID line that relates to this and change it - I think the
other value is ATA. On reboot, you should then see an additional
initialisation step with a rotating | character showing scan progress. If
you drive is detected it will appear in the list that pops up after about 20
seconds.

You may need to switch off and on or do a hard reset after changing the
above setting for it to take effect.

- Tim

Old September 5th 03, 11:35 PM
pd

I am about to setup my PC with the 8KNXP.
I would like to use IDE 1 for my current hard drive, IDE 2 for my DVD,
IDE 3 for my CDRW and IDE 4 for my new hard drive.
My manual says the GigaRAID controller has a setting called "Normal". It
says all the drive will act as independent drive volumes.
Will IDE 3 and or 4 support my DVD and or CDRW??

me/

Old September 6th 03, 12:57 AM
Timothy Drouillard

The manual reccomends that the IDE-1 connector be used for your normal HD's
(two of them), and IDE-2 connector be used for your CD or DVD drives (again
two drives)

IDE-3 (two drives) and IDE-4 (another two drives) are used with the GigaRAID
controller