8KNXP IDE 3

Old August 20th 03, 01:25 AM
IMConfused

Default 8KNXP IDE 3

I'd like to be able to use a single HDD on IDE 3. There must
be some simple step that I'm missing because whenever I
connect to IDE 3 the PC will not boot, it hangs at NTLDR
not found.

Since a single drive didn't work I tried 2 HDD on IDE 3,
master/slave, and two Raid options were offered...Stripe and
Span (in the other two it showed 2 unused drives). On boot
with both Stripe and Span the boot hangs at Verifying DMI pool.
I couldn't get beyond that to use XP setup.

I've read the manuals twice, installed the Raid software from the
CD ROM, and tried Bios 6fk. The hard drives work find on IDE
1 and 2. Any help greatly appreciated.

Old August 20th 03, 02:24 AM
Tim

If you have only 1 disc on the ITE controller, the controller mustn't be in
RAID mode - you can't have a RAID config with only 1 disc. If you want plain
non raid discs, set the ITE controller to be Non Raid. If you are not using
ITE RAID you do not need to install the drivers during XP setup using F6.

If you want RAID, then you will need a minimum of 2 discs. With 2 discs,
make each one master and plug one each into IDE3 and 4 connectors, go into
the ITE RAID BIOS (make sure ITE is set to RAID) and create either a RAID 0
or 1 config as you need. If you do this, you *must* install the ITE drivers
using F6 at the start of XP setup.

Don't make a RAID config with 2 discs on the same channel (IE Master /
Slave) - if it lets you. Your RAID will run have poor performance as all
data is having to go through the 1 channel and only 1 drive can be active at
a time.

IE for each disc in a RAID config, the partner disc should be on the other
channel - this is particularly important for RAID 1 - mirroring.

- Tim