Santa Cruz Sound Card

Old August 17th 03, 10:32 PM
Davek

Default Santa Cruz Sound Card

I'm getting ready to order a soundcard from Newegg. I read
at Newegg that one user had problems with the Santa Cruz
sound card not working with a Gigabyte GA-8IK1100
motherboard. I'm wanting to add the card to a Gigabyte
GA-8IKNXP. Has anyone else had success or problems with
this sound card? I'd try something from Creative but
reviews on their cards seem even worse than the Turtle Beach
card.

Motherboard: GA-8KNXP
Sound Card: VOYETRA TURTLE BEACH SANTA CRUZ - OEM
Speakers: Cambridge SoundWorks MegaWorks 213 speakers

Old August 18th 03, 11:08 PM
Faustus

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 21:11:00 -0500, Robert McDermitt
wrote:

Davek wrote:

I can't speak to the Gigabyte but I've run the Santa Cruz on the Asus

A7N8X
and the Asus P4PE. It worked perfect in both boards. Personally, I

like
the Santa Cruz better than the Audigy 2 which I also ran in both

boxes....

Uhm...but the HW of the Audigy2 is much more advanced than that of the
Santa Cruz, isn't it?

Faustus

Dave King -- Faustus
HomePage | http://home.earthlink.net/~davidkinghsd/index.html
ICQ : 329002
Old November 21st 03, 01:51 AM
Nate

Well, the user reviews of that Hercules card at www.newegg.com state that
it's 100X better than the next best creative ****blaster card. And it also
comes with an optical out. Every reviewer on their site gave it 5 stars.
I've had one of every creative card ever made pretty much. In all different
types of systems and they all sucked. Most had very annoying random popping
and clicking noises. Some would BSoD they systems.

I would say try anything else before you test your luck with a soundblaster.

Nate

"Darmok" wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 21:32:28 GMT, Davek
wrote:

I'm getting ready to order a soundcard from Newegg. I read
at Newegg that one user had problems with the Santa Cruz
sound card not working with a Gigabyte GA-8IK1100
motherboard. I'm wanting to add the card to a Gigabyte
GA-8IKNXP. Has anyone else had success or problems with
this sound card? I'd try something from Creative but
reviews on their cards seem even worse than the Turtle Beach
card.

Motherboard: GA-8KNXP
Sound Card: VOYETRA TURTLE BEACH SANTA CRUZ - OEM
Speakers: Cambridge SoundWorks MegaWorks 213 speakers

Well, I'm the guy who had the problems with the Santa Cruz on the
GA-8IK1100 MB. It ran for one day, then, on the 2nd day, while I was
listening to the Harry Potter audio book with MusicMatch Jukebox, it
started making a funny high pitched noise. MMJB crashed, but the
squealing sound kept coming out of the speakers, so I re-booted
Windows XP Pro. When it came back up, not only did I not have any
sound, but the onboard LAN chipset wasn't working, and my ATI Radeon
9700 AIW was not at the correct setting. I tried moving the Santa
Cruz to another PCI slot, but got the same results. I figured it was
defective, and got in touch with NewEgg, and they offered me an
exchange, with no restocking charge. I opted for the Hercules
Fortissimo 7.1 card, which has been working for me. However, I'm not
happy with the weak sound of the Hercules card, and, if I had to do it
again, I'd get some kind of Creative Labs card ... either a Sound
Blaster Live! 1024 or an Audigy or something ... I've always had good
luck with Creative Labs cards.

I guess you can get a lemon in any card, but I'd take my chances with
Creative Labs. As long as you're buying from NewEgg, you're covered
as far as 'infant mortality' goes.

"Mirab, with sails unfurled .."

Old November 21st 03, 02:19 AM
Fitz