RAID question

Old August 2nd 03, 07:34 PM
crw

Default RAID question

Why do so many domestic users seem to opt for RAID systems with all its
inherent expense and complication? Isn't it still easier (and safer) to back
up critical data to CD-ROM, DVD-ROM or similar, and be sure to have an
archive totally independent from one's PC?

Old August 2nd 03, 11:30 PM
llywiwr

"Frank" wrote in message
m...

Expense About the same as a good video card.

what about the extra drives you need?

Old August 3rd 03, 01:10 AM
Bob Davis

"Frank" wrote in message
m...

I have paid over $500 for a _40 Mb_ drive back when.

I hate to show my age, but my first HD was a 10-megger and it cost $1800.

Old August 3rd 03, 05:28 AM
Bob Davis

Mine was an add-on to my Osborne 1, which only had two 204k 5¼" floppy
drives. Having 10mb in 1985 was all the disk space in the world. That
computer had a CP-M OS with a non-upgradeable 64k (as in kilobytes) of RAM,
and believe it or not I ran my business on it for years.

I don't remember drives with removable platters. That may even predate my
computer history (1982).

"Timothy Drouillard" wrote in message
The first 'hard drive' I actually used, was a 5meg removable platter pack.
an RL01 for a DEC PDP 11/04

The first hard drive I actually bought, was a USED 10meg for my IBM PC

(one
of the very early models), and it cost me $450.

Old August 3rd 03, 06:16 AM
Timothy Drouillard

As a matter of fact, I still have an Osborne 1 myself. If I remember
correctly later on the was an Osborne Executive that 'may' have had an
internal hard drive as an option.
How did you like that little 5" green-screen monitor. At least I had the
external monitor adapter that plugged into the front of the Osborne.
I spent many hours using the optional 300 baud modem to dial up BBS's all
over the country. I routinely racked up $300/month phone bills because of
the wonderful world of BBS's and their 'free' software.
Learned WordStar and Dbase II on that little gem.
Bought my first computer game for that system as well. I may even have it
here somewhere. It was called Zork I also know as 'adventure' or 'collossal
Cave.

The PDP 11/04 and it's RL01 Drive that I used was back in the middle 70's.
Also had paper tape on it as well as a teletype for a printer. Had to start
the system by entering a boot-strap routine from the front panel by
depositing values in individual registers at specific addresses using
toggle-switches.
No keyboards in those days.

. ..