Gigabyte GA-7VAXPand Windows XP

Old July 28th 03, 07:00 AM
Dennis Alperstedt

Default Gigabyte GA-7VAXPand Windows XP

Hi,

I bought a computer in november last year. All worked fine under
Windows2000. Then, i installed Windows XP, because Windows2000 didn't
recognized the onBoard-RAID-Controller correctly.

But now i have another problem: at my secondary IDE-Channel i connected two
devices: a Toshiba SD-M1612 DVD-ROM and a AOpen CRW4850 CDRW drive.
If i try to start a program from the CD, Windows pops up an errormessage,
telling me, he didn't found a procedure-entry (i don't know, how the english
windows reports this error, but in german, it says "Prozedureinsprungpunkt
nicht gefunden".
Then it lists a procedure-name, with changed names
i.e.
"InterLockedDLL" becomes "InterHockedDLL".
The name differs between the programs, i try to start.

I tried to Install the VIA-Hyperion-Drivers, turn off the RAID-Controller,
connect just one drive to the IDE-Channel and changed the master-slave order
of the drives ... nothing helped.

Is there anybody having the same problem?
Could it be, that the mainboard is defect? But then, it also would'nt run
under Windows2000.

Please help!
Thank you!

Old July 28th 03, 03:52 PM
Dennis Alperstedt

"NuT CrAcKeR" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
it sounds like german software has been applied somewhere...

yes - thats correct ... it's because the system is german ;-)

Also, I didnt know that the RAID controller supported CDroms. I thought

they
were for fixed disk only.

maybe i haven't wrote it correctly ... the cd and dvd aren't connected by
raid ... both are on the secondary ide-channel.

it's no difference if i activate or deactivate the raid-controller ...

Old July 28th 03, 05:50 PM
Dennis Alperstedt

2) That Toshiba DVD drive was designed more than 18 months ago and there
are loads of reported problems with its firmware. Just type
"sd-m1612"+firmware into Google and you will see.

okay ... i made a firmware-update ... but there's no one provided by
toshiba.
but anyway, it doesn't worked ... i still have the problem, that the data
can't be read correctly from any cd-rom or dvd ...

Old July 28th 03, 06:31 PM
Alien Zord

"Dennis Alperstedt" wrote in message
2) That Toshiba DVD drive was designed more than 18 months ago and

there
are loads of reported problems with its firmware. Just type
"sd-m1612"+firmware into Google and you will see.

okay ... i made a firmware-update ... but there's no one provided by
toshiba.
but anyway, it doesn't worked ... i still have the problem, that the

data
can't be read correctly from any cd-rom or dvd ...

If you disconnect the CDRW drive and only leave the DVD connected does
it work then?

Old July 28th 03, 06:33 PM
Dennis Alperstedt

If you disconnect the CDRW drive and only leave the DVD connected does
it work then?

no ... if i just connect the dvd it doesn't work ... same, if i only connect
the cdrw ...
but this problem only appears under windows xp

Old July 28th 03, 10:41 PM
Eddie Bromhead

Hi Dennis,

Perhaps you will get better help if you list all the hardware - maybe
someone will recognize a combination which they have had problems with:

1. Type of cpu
2. Amount and type of RAM
3. What peripherals you have (as well as the DVD and CDRW) and to which
channel etc they are conected
4. What expansion cards you have and how are they connected (for example,
which PCI slot)

My suggestion is that you strip the machine down to its bare bones, just
leaving:

a. RAM
b. cpu and fan (obviously)
c. AGP graphics card
d. One hard disk - set as 'Master' on first IDE channel
e. One CD ROM - perhaps it would help if you got a basic CD ROM drive on
loan for the test

No sound, modem, etc etc. Use this opportunity to ensure that all cards are
seated properly in their slots (check the RAM as well).

Now go through the BIOS and select the option to reset everything. This is
"Load fail-safe defaults". Check that things like on board sound etc are
disabled. Do a fresh install of Windows XP. If it still doesn't work
properly, then replace things one at a time until it does. There may be more
than one thing wrong. Once it is running properly, start adding components
back until it goes wrong again: if installing something creates a problem,
and removing it solves the problem, then you have found the faulty
component.

Next of all, start adjusting the BIOS parameters to get a better
performance. Do them one at a time, and be prepared to reverse the changes.

Don't re-"activate" XP until you are happy with the changes.

My best bet as to the fault with your machine is that the RAM is set to run
beyond its capacity. That's just a guess.

Good luck.