8KNXP and HT

Old July 23rd 03, 12:45 PM
Tim

Default 8KNXP and HT

Hi,
My 8KNXP system shows only 1 CPU in Task manager, yet 2 CPU's in Device
Manager - the CPU is a P4 2.8c.
HT has always been enabled in the bios, so I am curious if this is working
correctly as it does not appear to.

Bios is F5.

Does anyone have any ideas?

- Tim

Old July 23rd 03, 11:38 PM
Tim

Yes. That is exactly what I am not seeing.
I check in Device Manager & as I said, there are 2 CPU's (really intel, who
is kidding who?).
The Computer in Device Manager says it is an ACPI Multi Processor PC, so XP
seems to have all the correct device drivers as far as I can see. Updating
the device driver for the Computer gives no options,which is correct as the
only update would be a downgrade to Uni or non-acpi which requires a
reinstall & is not a valid option...

The only anomoly is the Task Manager display. The menu for View - CPU
History has only 1 entry: One Graph per CPU which is ticked. Normally I
think there are 2 items in this menu - a 1 graph and a 2 graph. XP SP 1 is
in, but not alot else of patches (where is SP2, must be due soon?).

- Tim

"Timothy Drouillard" wrote in message
Under the performance tab in Task manager, the top window should show two
small windows side-by-side. one for each 'cpu'.

is that what you're not seeing?

Old July 24th 03, 04:22 AM
Bob Davis

A friend had the same problem on his Asus mobo (same 875P chipset), and he
fixed it by enabling ACPI and reinstalling WinXP. Somehow the HT function
must tie in with ACPI, but neither of us have figured out the details of
this relationship. If anyone knows, please enlighten me!

On the 8KNXP I don't think you can even disable ACPI, and my PM settings are
all on the defaults that came with the F5 bios. Mine set up perfectly for
HT from the outset.

Old July 24th 03, 04:56 AM
Timothy Drouillard

The view menu should indeed have two choices

One Graph, all CPU's
One graph per CPU

Old July 24th 03, 07:24 AM
Tim

Thanks Bob, so no easy fix then?

Well, my Device Manage config says ACPI Mult... and lists 2 CPU's... Odd, I
think I'll put this down to yet another Award bios oddity.

The only items in the bios I tinkered with prior to install was to get the
SATA boot disc recognised.

- Tim

.. .

Old July 24th 03, 10:41 AM
Tim

Good question.

Apart from wanting things to work correctly, I am used to dual CPU systems,
and it does seem that hyperthreading does smooth out the performance of an
otherwise single CPU systems.

Try an experiment. Run one copy of zip or rar on a large file. Then start
another rar / zip on a second file at the same time and watch the two CPU's
in task manager. Ok, so its a little bit of a visual lie... but I am sure
you can get my drift on this.

Now while this is running check the responsiveness of the machine by doing
something else. EG opening apps and typing.

I am sure you will find the system runs much smoother with HT. Some of this
is possibly attributable to XP with a higher spec CPU, but overall compared
to preceeding single CPU systems an HT system does seem to have much better
smoothness to it and that is a characteristic of a Dual.

Again, it may be just an illusion 'cos when the IDE channels get busy, the
system still runs like a dog - but this is much more difficult.

I am interested to hear what peoples experience is of SCSI on HT systems,
and the 8KNXP Ultra RAID.

BTW: I got it going by doing an XP repair.

- Tim

"Boudewijn" wrote in message
Hello,
Why bother?
It's only useful if you're using software that it specifically written to
make use of 2 CPU's
Failing that and you could have 4, 8,16 etc CPU's in your box, and It
wouldn't make a difference at all.
So again, why bother?!
Regards, Boudewijn

Old July 24th 03, 02:36 PM
Bob Davis

"Boudewijn" wrote in message

Why bother? It's only useful if you're using software that it

specifically written to
make use of 2 CPU's

That's true, but more and more of these apps are being written. I for one
bought into HT (2.8C) because I use PhotoShop and Nikon Capture, both of
which can make use of dual-processor technology. The HT makes a dramatic
difference with these apps. My friend was concerned because he also works
in PS, plus a complex stock-analysis app that also uses it. He claims his
P4 3.0C runs the latter 3x faster than his old Athlon 1400XP.

Old July 25th 03, 12:19 AM
John Yuen

Wrong! There are so many benefit for having 2 cpus even when you don't use
program that take advantage of it. It allows you to multi-task with much better
response and performance. Rip/burn Cd/DVD in the background. Multiple download
form different program, etc, etc.

Regards
John Yuen

Old July 25th 03, 04:39 AM
Bob Davis

I was always under the impression that any advantage gained from
dual-processors could be achieved only when the software is written for it.

Old July 25th 03, 05:44 AM
Tim

Bob,

A common misconception. Any other task will benefit in a dual CPU
situation - CD burning / ripping as mentioned, FTP, switching to another app
etc. etc. I do a lot of database 'slice and dice' as I call it - large
queries.

A dual is a fat lot of use to a person that types with two fingers and only
ever uses one application at a time - the system will be smoother, but this
will be barely noticeable.

I am a software developer - I always have heaps to do, so having a machine
that works as fast as I think means I earn more. When one task is working, I
switch to another and keep working flat out. SCSI discs help a lot here,
although IDE with RAID seems to be a good option.

I have a rule of thumb - doesn't quite work these days - but it goes like
this.
When buying a system, don't buy at the very top of the CPU spec list, buy
one down EG 2.8G instead of 3G, get a dual motherboard, and when the price
of the CPU's drop, get another CPU - heaven.

This used to work well - prior to P4. The price delta between top spec and 1
off top spec CPU's is often great, while the diffference in performance is
usually 10%. The CPU price delta usually exceeds the price margin for a
dual capable m/b. In addition to this, I have found that the machines I buy
like this last me a *lot* longer - they perform extremely well, and so
because of the quality of the user experience, one is happier using the
machine for a lot longer. Duals tend to be the most reliable m/b's.

I have only just - with this P42.8Ghz machine come across a machine that
COMPARES to the dual P2 400 server I have. Most of the work is somewhat
faster on this machine, but a full application compile (MS VC) has gone from
20+ minutes down to about 2. So, I am waiting with baited breath to see how
Opterons pan out - I may get a dual again. The P2 400 server runs 24 x 7 and
was purchased in 1998 I think - Asus P2B-DS with 640MB Ram, never crashes.

Another way to look at it is: if you computer keeps you waiting 5% of the
time, you cost 100,000 units per annum to employ, using a dual you
estimate - after stuffing around, gettting coffee, chatting to others, email
etc. - to save 50% of the wait time, then 2.5% of 100,000 units is 2,500. If
thats dollars, thats either another PC or a dual with money saved, more
productiviy, closer to deadlines etc. (Don't forget that if you are paid n$,
the cost of employment is likely around 2 x n$). This ignores the fact that
on a dual you can be running lengthy processes without costing anything. EG
writing CD's.

- Tim

news

"John Yuen" wrote in message

Wrong! There are so many benefit for having 2 cpus even when you don't

use
program that take advantage of it. It allows you to multi-task with much

better
response and performance. Rip/burn Cd/DVD in the background. Multiple

download
form different program, etc, etc.

Regards
John Yuen

8KNXP - Corsair Twinx 3700 - Bios F8 Matt. Davies Overclocking 5 December 16th 03 09:01 AM
GA 8KNXP memory bandwidth issues RC Overclocking 1 November 11th 03 11:36 PM
overclock 8knxp Luca Overclocking 4 October 8th 03 05:13 PM
Gigabyte GA 8KNXP OC Kernel Overclocking 1 September 18th 03 05:08 AM
Switch from 8INXP to 8KNXP Boudewijn Gigabyte Motherboards 4 July 23rd 03 02:50 PM