Help needed for a dumbo

Old July 20th 03, 01:36 PM
Sam Kekavitch

Default Help needed for a dumbo

I have problems with my computer that are not related to the hard disk.

Machine has Gigabyte GA 8ST667 motherboard. Pentium 4. It was smoothly
running XP until my son turned it on yesterday. He couldn't log on. I have
checked everything I can think of with the hard disk including putting it in
another computer and reloading XP. It works properly in the other machine
but when returned to the original, the machine wont start.

I get a message that says that a problem has been detected and windows has
been shut down to protect the computer.

The stop information doesn't enlighten me.

I suspect it might be something he downloaded though he assures me that he
virus checked everything.

Any suggestions will be appreciated and positive thoughts relayed to anyone
who can help me solve this.

TYIA

Sam

Old July 20th 03, 06:39 PM
blackgold

Not sure what are you talking about. Why not try again.
Especially the second paragraph. Also what do you actually mean by
"reloading XP".

Old July 21st 03, 01:32 AM
Sam Kekavitch

I mean I took the hard disk out of the problem machine and put it in another
one. I reformated the disk and then reinstalled XP. It works perfectly on
the second machine but when I put it back in the original machine it starts
to boot and then gets to the error message nd will go no further.

Old July 21st 03, 02:23 AM
Sam Kekavitch

The error message I receive is:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF9E48640, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Old July 21st 03, 05:12 AM
Muttley

You should always format and re-install in the machine that it will run in.

Windows XP does NOT like being moved to a different machine after
installation.
It usually will not boot unless both machines are an identical hardware
configuration.

Try format + re-install in the problem machine.

John S.

Old July 21st 03, 05:32 AM
Jesse

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 22:36:03 +1000, "Sam Kekavitch"
wrote:

I have problems with my computer that are not related to the hard disk.

Try booting off xp cd rom and choose repair

0x0000007B Error
http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBL/tip5500/rh5534.htm

You Receive a Stop 0x0000007B Error After You Move the Windows XP
System Disk to Another Computer
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...d_stp_xlxv.asp

If you Reformat, first remove all partitions with fdisk and
repartition using FDISK /MBR command
http://www.itsecurity.com/asktecs/jan1702.htm

Memtest runs from a floppy
http://www.memtest86.com/

Old July 21st 03, 05:37 AM

You might want to read this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=122926

Nobody

Old July 21st 03, 11:34 PM
PWY

Try this site: http://forum.techbuy.com.au/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=319

Old July 25th 03, 12:58 PM
Sam Kekavitch

Thanks guys. Problem solved. I removed the battery and that reset
everything.

"blackgold" wrote in message
Could be a switch problem. Quite troublesome, but are you prepared to try.
Worth your effort? You can do this. Bring your second computers near/next

the first. Make sure the case covers are off. Then loosen all connectors

the motherboards. Now connect the connectors from the second casing to the
first motherboard.. Then try to boot up. You can leave the power

connectors
from the Power Supply to the motherboard as is. But if you want to use the
power from the second casing, it's OK. If it boots up then you can be sure
that the connectors of your first computer is faulty, most likely the

on/off
switch. But check and double check that all the connections are correctly
done.Use a good torchlight to help you. Good Luck.