GA-8KNXP LAN Speed problem...

Old July 19th 03, 08:55 AM

Default GA-8KNXP LAN Speed problem...

Hello,

Has anyone else noticed a problem with the onboard "Intel
Pro/1000 CT Desktop" ethernet controller only detecting a 10 MB
network, even if you're on a 100 MB network? This problem is driving
me insane. I've already tried flashing the BIOS and updating the
drivers, and the problem persists. Their stupid software thinks
there's a bad wire or something, and I tested all 8 wires myself, and
they're fine. I even tested it with multiple patch cords.

Thanks
Old July 19th 03, 05:46 PM
Timothy Drouillard

First of all, are you using high quality patch cables that are certified for
100-Base-T?

If you buy your patch cables, I would reccomend that you buy patch cables
certified as Cat-5e.

If you install the Intel Proset software that came on the CD, you can bring
that up, and try changing the speed setting there. It normally defaults to
auto-set, but you can manually choose your speed.

"Bob Davis" wrote in message
.. .

wrote in message

Has anyone else noticed a problem with the onboard "Intel
Pro/1000 CT Desktop" ethernet controller only detecting a 10 MB
network, even if you're on a 100 MB network?

How can you tell? I have a P2P with three computers (two now since the
notebook is in the shop), and I have no problems that I'm aware of.

Their stupid software thinks there's a bad wire or something, and I

tested
all 8 wires myself, and
they're fine. I even tested it with multiple patch cords.

Is it generating errors?

Old July 19th 03, 08:00 PM

Has anyone else noticed a problem with the onboard "Intel
Pro/1000 CT Desktop" ethernet controller only detecting a 10 MB
network, even if you're on a 100 MB network?

How can you tell? I have a P2P with three computers (two now since the
notebook is in the shop), and I have no problems that I'm aware of.

It says so in the Intel PROset software that came with the
motherboard. There's a button that says, "Test Link Speed". When I
test it, this is what it says back: "A Category 5 cable is required to
run at 1000 Mbps. The cable connected to the device either has only
two pairs or has faulty wires."

Also, the 100 light on the router is turned out for this port
- only the 10 is turned on. FYI, I have tried switching to another
jack and also tested the cable with another computer (works at 100
there). There's also a "Test Cable" button, and that doesn't detect
any errors on the line.

The funny part, is I made this particular wire myself using
Cat5e cable, so it should be good for 100 or 1000. I don't have any
problems with any of my other computers reaching 100 - I'm not really
going for the full 1000 speed here (I personally thing that's a waste
of time until hard drives become faster).

Their stupid software thinks there's a bad wire or something, and I tested

all 8 wires myself, and they're fine. I even tested it with multiple patch cords.

Is it generating errors?

No there are no errors.
Old July 19th 03, 08:04 PM

First of all, are you using high quality patch cables that are certified for
100-Base-T?

If you buy your patch cables, I would reccomend that you buy patch cables
certified as Cat-5e.

If you install the Intel Proset software that came on the CD, you can bring
that up, and try changing the speed setting there. It normally defaults to
auto-set, but you can manually choose your speed.

I have a few store bought cables, but I usually make them
myself from Cat-5e cable. I know they work, because the router always
detects them at 100 and I can transfer files a lot faster than 10
mbps. I tested it with this new NIC, and it's taking 15 mins to
transfer a file that used to come across in 3 or 4 mins - so the
software's not misreporting the speed or anything.
Old July 19th 03, 10:01 PM
Bob Davis

wrote in message

I know they work, because the router always detects them at 100....

How can you tell?

Old July 19th 03, 10:07 PM

The easy part is what color wire goes to what pin.

1. White with Orange stripe
2. Orange with White stripe.
3. White with Green stripe.
4. Blue with White stripe
5. White with Blue stripe
6. Green with White stripe
7. White with Brown stripe
8. Brown with White strip.

Thanks for the info, it's always good to double-check yourself, but
that's exactly how I make my cables.

1. White/Orange
2. Orange
3. White/Green
4. Blue
5. White/Blue
6. Green
7. White/Brown
8. Brown

The easiest way to quickly doublecheck yourself before you crimp the
connector, is to verify that the wires (from 1 to 8) are stripe, solid,
stripe, solid, etc.

I'll have to keep that in mind for next time.

The trickier part (for higher speed operation) is how far back you untwist
the pairs in order to feed them into the connector.

At 10Base-T speeds, it's not very picky. At higher speeds you want to majke
sure you only untwist the pairs JUST far enough to be able to feed the
individual wires into the connector.

That's funny, because my friends complain that I take too long to make
my cables, because I'm making them just like you described. Most
people let it all hang out and just put a boot on it - I personally
don't like that. Now you've justified my slowness in making cables!
:-)

Another weird thing I just noticed, and this is kind of a slap in the
face, is the Intel PROset software has this message: This adapter is
capable of connecting at a higher speed. I have a feeling Intel
created this NIC with 1000 only in mind. I have no way of checking
the impedience on the lines, but I have check all of them for
continuity.

Is anyone out there running this same exact board on a 100mbps network
successfully?
Old July 20th 03, 12:05 AM
Timothy Drouillard

I Have mine cabled to a Linksys Cable/DSL Router (connecting at 100mbs)
along with a second PC (also connected at 100Base-T) and two printers and it
works flawlessly.

Yes the Intel software tells you it's capable of higher speed, it can go to
1000mbs .

Old July 20th 03, 12:06 AM
Timothy Drouillard

Also check to make sure you're running at full duplex as well.
wrote in message
wrote in message
.. .

I know they work, because the router always detects them at 100....

How can you tell?

I can tell by my transmission speeds, which seem to be limited by my
hard drives. I can send roughly 1 gig over the network in 7 mins.
Now it wants to take a lot longer (over twice the time), and it's only
because it's being limited by that 10mbps ethernet connection -
doesn't even hit the bottleneck in the hard drives now.

Old July 20th 03, 01:22 AM

Also check to make sure you're running at full duplex as well.
Well, I checked eveything I could, and it all looks fine.

I just had a good idea... I'm going to test it through a hub,
and see if this NIC is incompatible with my router. I figure the hub
will talk to the router, thus bypassing the whole situation of this
NIC talking directly to the router.

Guess what guys?!! It worked! Going through the hub it has
no problem connecting at 100. FYI, I'm using the same exact cable to
connect, and I previously tested other ports on the router.

Now I just have to figure out why this NIC doesn't like my
router - I have a Netgear RT314. Anyone else using one with this
motherboard successfully?

Thanks everyone for all your help, I really really appreciate
it. This was driving me up a wall. I might have to email Intel and
Netgear to see if they know anything we don't. I'm just glad to be
back at 100!

Pentium II Upgrade Problem [email protected] General 5 January 8th 05 05:15 PM
AGP Speed JimBob Homebuilt PC's 4 November 28th 04 12:10 AM
fsb speed - why does it matter? James Hanley Overclocking 52 November 7th 04 01:04 PM
I still don't completly understand FSB.... legion Homebuilt PC's 7 October 28th 04 03:20 AM
A7V8X RAM/CPU speed problem John Simon Asus Motherboards 7 April 15th 04 05:52 PM