GA-8KNXP is it any good?

Old July 19th 03, 06:55 AM
Vincent Poy

Default GA-8KNXP is it any good?

Yeah, the ITE RAID controller was the one I was talking about being slow.
I think that's the only drawback for the Gigabyte motherboard.
On the RAID stuff, is it possible to like install the OS and stuff in non-
RAID mode and then add a identical drive and turn RAID on without
destroying the contents of the first drive?

Kinda funny but it seems like I've been using computers for 23 years and
never came across a bad flash except on the HP DVD+RW Firewire Drives. But
as for specs, we seem to have the same thing. Since my config is as
follows:

Motherboard: ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe (I got this instead of the Gigabyte due
to the ITE RAID issue so while it technically is supposed to
give 2 more devices over the ASUS, it seems to have 4 less).
CPU: P4 3.2C (haven't built the system yet since I'm waiting for my Zalman
CNPS7000-Cu HSF)
2 GB RAM (4 x 512MB Hynix CAS3 in Dual Channel Mode - these are from my
friends Dell Dimension XPS system)
OS: WinXP Pro Sp1
Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro (what happened to Northgate as a company
anyways?)
IDE1 - Western Digital 120GB 7200RPM Drive with 8MB Cache
IDE 2 - Western Digital 120GB 7200RPM Drive with 8MB Cache
AGP - NVidia GeForceFX 5900 Ultra 256MB (Have my Matrox G400Max in a box
somewhere still)
Monitor: Silicon Graphics Inc (SGI) 17.3" 1600SW 16:10 1600x1024
Flat Panel LCD Display connected to the Media Box and then
DVI to the Video card
NIC (on-board Intel Gigabit CSA): connected to 3Com 10/100/1000Mbps
24 port Managed switch with 3
computers and 1 Tektronix Phaser
840GP Solid Ink Printer
PCI1 - empty due to the video card hogging up the slot
PCI2 - SB Audigy 2 Platinum eX with IEEE-1394
PCI3 - Adaptec 39320 SCSI controller
- Pioneer DVD305S internal DVD-ROM
- Seagate Barracuda 2.1GB UltraSCSI2 7200rpm HD
- External Iomega Zip100Plus
PCI4 - empty
PCI5 - empty
LPT1 - unconnected
USB: - HP PhotoSmart 7550 Printer with SD/Compact Flash II/Memory Stick,
SmartMedia reader built-in
- Canon PowerShot G5 Digital Camera Camera
- Palm Tungsten T PDA
- HP IPAQ I5550 PocketPC PDA
Firewi - Sony DRX-510UL External DVD+/+RW/-R/-RW IEEE1394/USB2 Burner
- Epson Perfection 3200 Professional Scanner
PS/2: Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0
Com1: USR Courier Dual Standard v.everything v90/x2/HST
Com2: Empty as the one needs to buy a optional port cable to the
motherboard

Does the Gigabyte really have LPT2? Speaking about USB, is there a way to
tell if a cable is USB 1.1 or 2.0?

Cheers,
Vince

"Bob Davis" wrote in
:

I have no experience with the Asus board. I would rate the standard
(ATA100) PATA performance as excellent with the two 8mb-buffer drives
(Maxtor and WD), though I haven't compared it with any other 875P
board. OTOH, I have heard the ITE RAID controller (PATA 133) is a
slug, and I'm now glad I failed to get it running, as it probably
would've been a waste. When installing XP-Pro I never could get it to
take the drivers.

All in all I think I've missed out on some of the features I paid
extra for--like the PATA RAID, which is too lame to use, IMHO. I
won't be using SATA 'til Norton Ghost supports this standard, as it is
an important part of my backup strategy, though I assume such support
will be present in Ghost 2004.
The dual bios is nice, though in 20 years of computing I've yet to
become disabled by a bad bios or flash (knock on wood). The DPS2
sounds okay, and although I'm not overclocking I have it installed.

With my requirements, I could've likely done as well with a cheaper
875P board, however. Here's a look at my system:

Motherboard: Gigabyte 8KNXP
CPU: P4 2.8C (not OC'd)
1gb RAM (2 x 512mb Kingston CAS3 in dual-channel mode @ SPD)
OS: WinXP Pro SP1
Northgate 102 Ultra keyboard (via PS2 adapter)
IDE1 - Maxtor 160gb (8mb buffer) [C:]
IDE2 - WD 100gb (8mb buffer) [D:]
IDE3 - Empty
IDE4 - Empty
AGP - Matrox G450 DH at 4x
Monitors: Sony E540 (21") primary, Sony A240 (17") secondary
NIC (on board) - Connected to Linksys 4-port router Networked
computers: 3 Sound (on board) - active
PCI1 - Empty
PCI2 - StarTech firewire adapter (Via chipset)
- Lexar Compactflash reader/writer [F:]
- WD800BB 80gb on firewire adapter (normally not running) [J:]
- WD1200BB 120gb on firewire adapter (normally not running) [K:]
PCI2 - AHA-2930B SCSI adapter:
- Plextor 12/10/32TS CD-RW [H:]
- Plextor 32Plex [I:]
- HP 6250 Scanner
- Iomega Zip
PCI3 - Extra parallel adapter (LPT2)
PCI5 - Empty
LPT1 - Brother HL-645 laser printer
LPT2 - Epson LQ-850 dot-matrix printer
USB:
- Epson Photo Stylus ink-jet printer
- Wacom pen tablet
- Digital Wallet (usually not connected)
COM1 - USR Courier V-Everything external modem (for fax)
COM2 - Empty
"Vincent Poy" wrote in message
.154...
Hmm, how would you rate this board against something like the new
ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe? Are the P-ATA IDE controllers really slow
though like what people have claimed? I guess the reboots are
worrying me though, are others experiencing the same problems too?

Cheers,
Vince

(GordonH) wrote in
m:

Lance,

Sorry for the long span of time before posting a follow up. This
is due in part to on going problems. After installing the
Kingston, I am still unable to get a stable system. I can run at
with 1 gig installed, however I still experience steady reboots
every 30 - 60 mins. 2 gigs will not boot at all. I think I got a
bad motherboard. I've sent a note to Gigabyte requesting warranty
instructions.

Overall though, I am pleased with what I have seen of this board.
This is the first board I've owned that has a dual bios feature
which was a lifesaver as I hit a sporadic reboot in the middle of
flashing the BIOS. The system wouldn't even power on reset. I
powered it down and up and the system was then able to detect an
error on the primary BIOS, went to the backup and restored the
primary. All is well. I'll never go with another board that does
not have dual bios.

The sound is quality from the built in is pretty good. While I'm
not a power sound user, it's quite good while playing some games
(for the few mins I've acutally been able to play in between
reboots).

I got the SATA up and running with no problems. Not currently in a
position to run RAID, but plan on it soon. Other than that, I have
not had much of a chance to run any tests. Just too many memory
problems. Sigh...

Gordon

"Lance Robertson" wrote in
message ...
Thanks Gordon,

I've emailed the tech support about 10 times asking for approved
memory and not gotten a reply.

I'm just going to go with the Kingston 1GB Kit PC3500. It's
matched pairs so that's all I care about. Kingston vs Corsair
doesn't really matter to me too much.

But overall do you like the board?

Lance

"GordonH" wrote in message
om...
Lance,

I tried multiple different settings with four different BIOS
version, F5, F6a, F6d, and F6e. None worked right. At
houseofhelp.com there are many users with the same problems,
however there are also some that report no problems, liek Dodgy.
Shrug, who knows.

I sent Gigabyte an e-mail letting them know about the Corsair
problems I had. This was the response:

"Question : The Corsair memory I purchased does not work
properly in your
system. What is Gigabyte's officially supported DDR400 memory
for this board
and where is a link to that info?

Hi,

Pls use the Samsung, Kingston or Micron.
Pls check the link for the Kingston memory.

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/conf...nfo.asp?SysID=
+14 774+&di
stributor=0&submit1=Search
Tks.

Gigabyte E-service"

I received my order today of 2 sets of 1GB Kingston matched
pair, part no. KVR400X64C3AK2/1G. When I get home tonight, this
is priority number one. I will post my results to let you know
how it went.

Gordon

"Lance Robertson" wrote in
message
Thanks for the info. I guess I'm not against Kingston as long
as I get
their
matched kit as well. They have pretty good memory.

Another question I had. Can I run say PC3500 or PC3700 RAM in
this board
and
just have it run at DDR400 speed? It's not much more expensive
and I
figured
if I get say DDR 433 or 467 then I might be less prone to
maxing out the memory and can run with more relaxed timings.
Is that possible?

Lance

Remove "DONOTSPAM" to reply via email

"Dodgy" wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 07:11:32 -0700, "Lance Robertson"
waffled on about
something:

Gordon,

Thanks for the info. I'm torn right now between the MSI
NEO-FIS2R and
this
board. But I'd like some good RAM in there. Did you try
relaxing your timings at all on the ram or leave them as
the default timings?

Hi,

I'm running Corsair TwinX DDR3200LL on a KNXP with F6a bios,
no probs.

I must admit they just wouldn't work dual channel with the
F5 bios it arrived with, so I booted with just one plugged
in, flashed the Bios to F6a, manually set some relaxed
timings (2-3-3-6 I think), and it's running fine now.

I'm planning to have a play with the timings soon, but I
just wanted to make sure everything else was working first.
(My first KNXP had a badly fitted northbridge heatsink/fan
and cooked itself within a week!).

Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

Old July 19th 03, 06:56 AM
Vincent Poy

Do you have to do the RAID when the drives are empty or can you setup one
drive with all the data on it and then add a 2nd drive to do the raid
setup?

Cheers,
Vince

"news1.cableaz.com" wrote in

Raid is a big part of my setup. I'm running on Soyo Dragon Plus via
it's IDE Raid Controller. I was thinking of using an IDE to SATA
adapter to run on the serial raid. I don't really have any backups to
the drive I just capture video and use it as a storage for files. I
too have heard the IDE Raid is a slug but I'm not so sure about the
SATA. I basically have 2 choices. I could opt to go with this board
and use the SATA Raid with the adapters or get a Promise Fast Trax
4000 board for a little over 100 bucks to use for Raid. I'd prefer to
use the onboard stuff if at all possible however.

I hope to order something tomorrow whatever it may be.

Lance

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/conf....asp?SysID=+14

Old July 19th 03, 02:25 PM
Bob Davis

"Vincent Poy" wrote in message
.154...

CPU: P4 3.2C (haven't built the system yet since I'm waiting for my Zalman

CNPS7000-Cu HSF)

I wonder if this will work with the DPS2 installed? If not, I could detach
it, I guess. I use a few DOS programs and they eat up CPU cycles and
increase heat. I've seen CPU temps go up into the 60's (°C) when running
these progs so I may look into one of these heatsinks.

Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro (what happened to Northgate as a company

anyways?)

http://www.ergo-2000.com/ergo2000/sh...ctGroup_ID=235

Northgate has been out of business for years, but their legendary keyboards
live on. Check out the above website for the Avant Stellar (pricey at
$190), which has the Alps keys and steel base (6.5 lbs.) like the
Northgates. I have a Northgate Omni 102 Ultra (inverted "T" style) on this
computer and a circa 1989 Omni 102 on another networked computer. IMO there
is no better keyboard, and have a cult following as evidenced by prices for
these keyboards on Ebay.

Does the Gigabyte really have LPT2? Speaking about USB, is there a way to
tell if a cable is USB 1.1 or 2.0?

No. I have a PCI parallel card installed that provides the extra port. I
have a dot-matrix printer installed for doing FedEx and other multi-layered
forms, etc., while LPT1 is used for the laser.

I'm not sure about USB cables, or even which of my six USB ports are v2
compatible. I have only one device attached now and it is v1.1, so these
are yet untested for 2.0. I have the extra two connectors installed on the
mobo, but don't know which of the six are 2.0 compatible since I have yet to
venture into the 2.0 realm.

Old July 19th 03, 07:35 PM
Vincent Poy

"Bob Davis" wrote in
:

"Vincent Poy" wrote in message
.154...

CPU: P4 3.2C (haven't built the system yet since I'm waiting for my
Zalman

CNPS7000-Cu HSF)

I wonder if this will work with the DPS2 installed? If not, I could
detach it, I guess. I use a few DOS programs and they eat up CPU
cycles and increase heat. I've seen CPU temps go up into the 60's
(°C) when running these progs so I may look into one of these
heatsinks.

From what I read elsewhere, it works but the spacing is really tight, like
1/8th inch space left or something.

http://www.ergo-2000.com/ergo2000/sh...ID=36&ObjectGr
oup_ID=235

Northgate has been out of business for years, but their legendary
keyboards live on. Check out the above website for the Avant Stellar
(pricey at $190), which has the Alps keys and steel base (6.5 lbs.)
like the Northgates. I have a Northgate Omni 102 Ultra (inverted "T"
style) on this computer and a circa 1989 Omni 102 on another networked
computer. IMO there is no better keyboard, and have a cult following
as evidenced by prices for these keyboards on Ebay.

Yeah, I remember they had the 105 key keyboard that was cool. Their
machines used to be better in looks than Dell when they were big in the
late 1980's, early 90's. The Original IBM PS/2 keyboards are good too.

Does the Gigabyte really have LPT2? Speaking about USB, is there a
way to tell if a cable is USB 1.1 or 2.0?

No. I have a PCI parallel card installed that provides the extra
port. I have a dot-matrix printer installed for doing FedEx and other
multi-layered forms, etc., while LPT1 is used for the laser.

Heh, I thought you actually had a second parallel port.

I'm not sure about USB cables, or even which of my six USB ports are
v2 compatible. I have only one device attached now and it is v1.1, so
these are yet untested for 2.0. I have the extra two connectors
installed on the mobo, but don't know which of the six are 2.0
compatible since I have yet to venture into the 2.0 realm.

I try to use Firewire on everything unless there is no Firewire option
available.

Do you happen to know where one can get the second serial port on a bracket
and also the bracket firewire ports that connect to motherboards online?

Cheers,
Vince
Old July 20th 03, 02:44 AM
Bob Davis

"Vincent Poy" wrote in message
.154...

Yep, there is a discussion of this on forums.anandtech.com for this
specific motherboard so I know it'll fit. I just wonder how the
ThermalTake P4 Spark 7 compares to the Zalman. The only problem with
the Zalman is the weight I think and it's pretty fragile.

Just looking at the surrounding area, I don't know how it will clear the
DPS2, which isn't really needed anyway, and the first memory module, but I
assume it'll fit from what you've said and the fact that this mobo isn't on
Zalman's incompatibility list.

I guess try to get it off with a razor blade and then use alcohol.

That's not something I relish doing on a CPU.

With the ASUS, the board has a 6 pin FW port as part of the I/O portion

and then
there is a 10-1 connector on the motherboard with a cable that goes to
another bracket. The bracket has two 10-1 brackets since there is a 4 pin
and a 6 pin port but the cable has only one connector.

This 8KNXP has a 9-pin connector on the board that can be connected to a
bracket containing one 4-pin and one 6-pin port. I wonder if the internal
connector on the mobo is generic enough to attach an aftermarket bracket
with more ports. OTOH, it would probably be better just using what I have
now (the FW card) and add a hub later if more connectors are needed.

It seems mobo's these days have only one port that's
physically on the I/O on the board and then there is the motherboard

header
for Com2 which you need to find the port with the cable that plugs into

the
mobo.

I didn't know that since I haven't used COM2 in years.

Old July 20th 03, 06:57 PM
Bob Davis

"McGrandpa" wrote in message
.. .

IBM has been putting ONE serial port on later models. Some are
talking about being completely Legacy Free....meaning no serial or

parallel either.
That would be the final break from the old school

A year or so ago Abit introduced a board without any legacy connectors at
all--parallel, serial, PS2, etc.--and I feared it would soon be their end.
Here I am still using a 12-year-old Northgate keyboard, dot-matrix printer,
and serial modem (faxing)--and having no plans of getting rid of any of them
in the near future. That seemed ominous to me at the time, but that board
must not have been a hit, as I haven't seen a dramatic trend in that
direction, even though ISA is now gone.

Old July 21st 03, 02:43 PM
Lance Robertson

"Vincent Poy" wrote in message
.154...
Do you have to do the RAID when the drives are empty or can you setup one
drive with all the data on it and then add a 2nd drive to do the raid
setup?

Cheers,
Vince

Well my old drives were done with a Promise Raid so yeah it had to be
rebuilt and reformatted. Unless you are using the same drivers I'm sure it
will have to be rebuilt as they aren't handled the same way by the drivers.
At least that is my experience.

Lance

To reply via email, remove "DONOTSPAM"

Old July 24th 03, 04:58 AM
Bob Davis

"Vincent Poy" wrote in message
.154...

Dunno but I read people used the DPS2 with the Zalman without issues.

We'll find out soon, as my Zalman should be in tomorrow.

You just have to do it carefully. I've done it multiple times before but
very gently except I use one of the German made Paring knives.

I've been using Slot 1's for the past three years, all retail PIII's with
not-easily-removable Intel HSF's, so I haven't dealt with this issue in a
while.

According to the manual, it says the mobo port can be used to connect
directly to internal HDD's and stuff so it's probably generic. [Firewire]

Well, I have the mobos controller disabled in the bios with an aftermarket
card inserted with one internal and three external 6-pin ports, which is all
I need now. If I need more later I'll just buy a hub.

Hehe. I used to use Com2 for the mouse as com1 was for the USR Courier
modems and Telebit modems before that.

Reminiscing=on

[chuckle] I have a Courier attached to COM1 now for faxing, so I just can't
break away from the legacy stuff. I have a 12-year-old Northgate keyboard,
18-year-old Epson dot-matrix printer, Courier, and lots of less-ancient HW
attached to this modern 8KNXP. No, I don't have a 5¼" floppy drive
installed g, but if I could figure out a use for installing one I have two
in the drawer. I did some housecleaning this weekend and found four
full-height ESDI drives? Great drives in 1990. Good door stops now. Also
found an Osborne 1. Anyone want to reveal their age by admitting knowledge
of these?

Reminiscing=off

Old July 24th 03, 07:06 AM
Timothy Drouillard

Yep, I've still got an Osborne 1 myself.

I remember getting one for use at work about 21-22 years ago.

Used to spend waaaay to many hours at home with it and it's optional 300
baud modem surfing the BBS's for 'free' software. I would look on each BBS
for a list of other BBS's I could dial-up. Didn't really seem to pay
attention to the fact that these BBS'a were scattered all over the US.

Used to average $300/month phone bills.

ESDI Drives? yep. had several of them. I remember finding a good deal on
110meg Fujitsu drives for $100 each. All you had to do is find an ESDI
controller.
Some of the early IBM PS/2 Model 80's (386) used ESDI drives.

Floppies? I've still got a brand new box of 8" floppies here somewhere.

remember the old Timex Sinclair computers? They used your TV for a monitor?
They were small wedge-shaped devices. So were some early Radio-Shack color
computers I think.. Turns out the small wedge shaped design made them very
handy to use as a door stop. Used them as such on the front door at a small
computer shop I used to work at. Customers got a big kick out of it. Had to
replace them every few months as they wore out.

Don't get me started on using punch cards or paper tape. Or using telatype
terminals before monitors were used...

Old August 24th 03, 05:45 PM
Chris A. Epler

"Timothy Drouillard" wrote in message ...
I remember buying a 4096 drive full height 5 1/4" (80gig if i remember
correctly) to go in my new IBM Enhanced AT (6Mhz) back in 85 or 86. Paid
$1000.00 for it at dealer cost.

80 gig in 1985?!!? ;-P I liked Seagate's numbering, it always made
sense. 4 meant a full height 5.25" drive, the 96 was the size, 96 meg
before formatting.

floppies, brand new EGA graphics card and EGA IBM Monitor, Math chip, etc.

I remember buying a Cyrix 387 to do some raytracing for $200, a week
later the price dropped to $65. That hurt.

Back when a 20meg drive meant that even after low-level formatting the drive
and mapping out bad blocks, you were left with a drive that had AT LEAST 20
'megabytes' of space rather than the now common 20 million bytes.

20 megabytes IS 20 million bytes, they just came out with a new prefix
that nobody really knows about so that manufacturers could deceive the
public. What you thought of as a megabyte has now become a MEBIbyte:

http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html

--
Chris A. Epler
For latest PGP Key: E-mail: