Wake Me Up : Gigabyte 667 Ultra2 -Onboard-Lan suddenly stopped?

Old July 11th 03, 01:12 AM
Joe Greenman

Default Wake Me Up : Gigabyte 667 Ultra2 -Onboard-Lan suddenly stopped?

Ugh! I can't figure this out. Any help appreciated.

My onboard LAN suddenly stopped working. No Internet, no Local Area
Network. Nothing.

Only precipitating event - I just popped in a new video card (Sapphire
Radeon 9100). That's it.

Now, when I look at the network cable plugged into the back of the PC,
the indicator light is flashing yellow. And *no* LAN related
functions work.

Is this a wake issue? Perhaps the new video card tricked the onboard
lan (82540EM Intel chip) into permanent sleep? If so, how do I wake
this thing back-up?

Many thanks,

J Greenman
Detroit

P.S. I'm using a cable modem connection, plus a router - & my other
PCs work fine. I plugged the problem PC in using a working PC
connection & cable. Still no go.
Old July 11th 03, 02:42 AM
Matt

"Joe Greenman" wrote in message
om...
[...]

What OS are you using? WinXP, 98?? What happens if you reset the cable modem
and run it directly to the computer without the router?

Matt

Old July 11th 03, 02:08 PM
Joe Greenman

It's Win XP Service Pack 1... not sure how this could be a router
issue. I've plugged in to a working port (tested with another PC) and
it's still no go. Plus, I did nothing to the router that would have
changed anything. In any case, I've tried restarting the cable modem
/ router. Other PC still works; the troubled PC doesn't (even when
plugged into other ports).

Thanks for all the ideas. Any others? I'm dead in the water still.

P.S. I know the Realtek onboard Lan on some other Gigabyte boards can
be put into semi-permanent sleep (and has to be manually woken up).
Anyone have experience with this on an Intel onboard Lan? Or maybe
it's something else entirely.
Old July 19th 03, 11:00 PM
Joe's Bar&Grill

uh....how do you mannually wake it up????
I've had this happen on a 7VAXP several times.
thanx...
joe

Old July 19th 03, 11:36 PM
Matt

"Joe's Bar&Grill" wrote in message
uh....how do you mannually wake it up????
I've had this happen on a 7VAXP several times.
thanx...
joe

Wake it up? I don't think I am following you. OTOH there is a BIOS setting
to enable the onboard NIC controller. You want to look for that.