GA-7VA Reseting

Old June 24th 03, 09:26 AM
Alan

Default GA-7VA Reseting

I've tried searching the group for an answer to this, but with no luck.

Can 400MHz DDRs be used with the GA-7VA board or not?

I've just built two identical systems with the above board, 512Mb 400MHz
DDR, AMD Athlon XP2600+ and Asus 64Mb Geforce 4 MX440 card.

Both machines insist on rebooting at random intervals, whether or not the
machine is being used.

The manual infers that only 333MHz memory can be used. Does that mean
using 400MHz is likely to be the cause of this instability?

Anything to help would be very useful.

Many hanks

Alan

--
SPAM BLOCK IN USE!
Replace 'deadspam.com' with penguinclub.org.uk to reply in email
Old June 24th 03, 10:48 AM
Alan

"merak" wrote in :

Alan wrote:
I've tried searching the group for an answer to this, but with no
luck.

Can 400MHz DDRs be used with the GA-7VA board or not?

List of recommended DDR400
http://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/...de/TechnologyG
uide_37.htm

Thanks.

I wasn't sure about that list as it is so far out of date. I was hoping
that six/seven months later, memory was more consistent and I wasn't tied
to a particular chip.

Alan

Old June 24th 03, 12:23 PM
John

I used 2700 kingston samsung pqi and every other brand
known to man and have come to the conclusion
that the board is a load of CRAP!

"Alan" wrote in message
.3...
"merak" wrote in :

Alan wrote:
I've tried searching the group for an answer to this, but with no
luck.

Can 400MHz DDRs be used with the GA-7VA board or not?

List of recommended DDR400

Old June 28th 03, 11:57 PM
john

It won't mater what you do these boards are a load of crap do what I did buy
an Asus A7N8X-X same price twice the board.
"merak" wrote in message ...
Alan wrote:
I've tried searching the group for an answer to this, but with no
luck.

Can 400MHz DDRs be used with the GA-7VA board or not?

List of recommended DDR400

http://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/...gyGuide_37.htm

Old July 1st 03, 12:04 AM
Mikk

"Alan" wrote in message
.3...

I've tried searching the group for an answer to this, but with no luck.

Can 400MHz DDRs be used with the GA-7VA board or not?

I've just built two identical systems with the above board, 512Mb 400MHz
DDR, AMD Athlon XP2600+ and Asus 64Mb Geforce 4 MX440 card.

Both machines insist on rebooting at random intervals, whether or not the
machine is being used.

The manual infers that only 333MHz memory can be used. Does that mean
using 400MHz is likely to be the cause of this instability?

Just replaced my 1800+ with a 2600+ on a GA-7VAX board, the new Arctic
Cooling heatsink/fan
seems to be doing the job, although it's running 5 degrees hotter than my
old 1800+ did.

Only had it running a day or so and it crashes randomly too - about 3 times
now
Maybe the 2600+ quality control manager had a day off?
Running 333MHz memory on mine btw

Old July 1st 03, 09:10 AM
Mikk

"Mikk" wrote in message

Only had it running a day or so and it crashes randomly too - about 3

times
now
Maybe the 2600+ quality control manager had a day off?
Running 333MHz memory on mine btw

Some not very pretty reading here too
http://www.extremetech.com/print_art...a=32340,00.asp

see particuarly comments on 2600+ chip and conclusions

seems to me that 333 FSB support is not very well implemented on this
chipset

Old July 1st 03, 11:46 AM
goldy

I had the same problem and a girl in this group suggested turning off Top
Performance in the Bios.
apparently TP doesn't always work well.
But for me it stopped the random Crashes.
also check whether you are useing VIA or Microsoft drivers for your usb 2.0.
I have heard that the microsoft ones work better though I've heard only a
couple of opinions on this.
I'm Running an amd 2500 with 333 memory
"Mikk" wrote in message

.3...

Old July 1st 03, 07:25 PM
Mikk

"goldy" wrote in message
I had the same problem and a girl in this group suggested turning off Top
Performance in the Bios.
apparently TP doesn't always work well.
But for me it stopped the random Crashes.
also check whether you are useing VIA or Microsoft drivers for your usb

2.0.
I have heard that the microsoft ones work better though I've heard only a
couple of opinions on this.
I'm Running an amd 2500 with 333 memory

Ok cheers, trying that now, or at least I would be if I hadn't got lumbered
with some decorating I promised to do in return for treating myself to that
new CPU

Yeah I did put the VIA drivers in, but as I only have 1.1 devices, I don't
know why I did

Yet another fresh install of Windoze will sort that

Old July 4th 03, 01:58 PM
Alan

"John" wrote in
:

Cut you losses and get another board these boards are crap and it
surprises me how Gigabyte have not been taken to task for producing
substandard products

"Mikk" wrote in message

"Alan" wrote in message
.3...

[...]

Seem to have fixed the problem now. Tried using 333MHz memory, but
didn't cure the problem.

Saw http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/...AQ/FAQ_308.htm about
reseating heat sink with compound rather than transfer pad, and both
systems seem to be working fine now.

Alan

Old July 27th 03, 10:10 PM
Stan Mould

"john" wrote in message
It won't mater what you do these boards are a load of crap do what

I did buy
an Asus A7N8X-X same price twice the board.

Couldn't agree more. My Gigabyte 7VAXP has been a nightmare since I
bought it. It's a complete piece of ****.

I bought an Asus A7V8X-X, which although does not have all the
features of the Giga****e, at least booted up first time and I
haven't had to spend half a lifetime keeping it working.