A7N8X-E Deluxe - Where to get PC3200 RAM on ASUS tested list

Old January 10th 05, 07:44 AM
Lou

Default A7N8X-E Deluxe - Where to get PC3200 RAM on ASUS tested list

I'm building a new PC with an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe and an Athlon XP
2800+ (Barton). I want to install two 512MB PC3200 modules to run in
dual channel mode at 200MHz. (or maybe 166 MHz. to match the bus
frequency - I think I've read that with the Atholn XP, synchronous at
the lower speed is actually faster).

The problem is that I just can't find memory with the exact same part
number as listed on the ASUS web site as having been tested. (I can't
find a list for the -E Deluxe but there is one for the A7N8X Deluxe
and I assume they are the same memory-wise).

www.newegg.com has a two module kit (2 X 512) of TWINMOS for $140 and
TWINMOS is on the list, but with no specific part number.

www.ms4me.com has a two module kit (2 X 512) of Samsung memory for
about $150 and htey have a 100% positive feedback rating on PriceWatch
but they don't show the manufacturers full part number either.

Has anybody here used either of these memories on an A7N8X / A7N8X-E
Deluxe or have anyother advice for me.

I appreciate it.

Louis

Old January 10th 05, 10:13 AM

"Lou" schreef in bericht
[...]

Hi

Í run a A7n8x-e MoBo (+ cpu: Amd 3000+)
with a twin-couple of memory of corsair typeTWINX512-3200LLPT. (partnr.
0304045)
And it runs very well with it, stable and fast.
gr fr

Old January 10th 05, 07:41 PM
Paul

In article , Lou
wrote:

[...]

There is a thread here on TwinMOS:

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49071

There are also plenty of other threads on nforcershq about memory:

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51516

My suspicion, is that you'll find few problems running a
couple of generic CAS3 sticks at 166MHz (DDR333). But, if you
want to run at DDR400 (say when you are overclocking the
FSB of your new processor, and running FSB and memory in
sync), then expect trouble.

If you want to play at DDR400, pick up some CAS2 (low
latency) PC3200 memory. That seems to work better than
buying CAS3 PC4000 type memory.

Looking in the Newegg memory lists, this is the cheapest
CAS2 product I can find. Mushkin PC3200 2x512 Blue Dual
pack 2-3-3 memory for $182.

On one of the threads on nforcershq.com, about memory,
one user reported brands that worked and didn't work. It
will take you a while to sift through all the threads, but
that is the only way to find memory that actually works.

When judging the threads, the users reporting their results
should have used memtest86/prime95 to test the memory, and
list the memory settings used. They should have used
enough Vdimm to get the memory to work well (like 2.6 to
2.8V). You'll find many reports from people who are not using
taxing configurations for their hardware (like only 166MHz),
or from people who are unaware of the need to test the memory,
and their experiences are best ignored.

Start here, and click "search for all terms" to get logical
AND in your searches:

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/search.php

I use Ballistix PC3200 at DDR400 2-2-2-6 and find it is error
free in dual channel mode. But it is a little more expensive
than the Mushkin. If you only plan to ever run the memory
at DDR333 (166MHz), you may not need to bother with the more
expensive memories.

I took a look at the Newegg customer reviews for some of their
cheapest memories, and unfortunately there are very few reports
from people who test their memories properly. Since the cheapest
memories involve a mixture of stick designs (can change from
lot to lot), there is really no way of knowing what you'll get.
If you want to play "bargain memory" games, it is best to do that
with a vendor having a generous return policy, or use a local
vendor who will accept returns or allow upgrading. Make sure the
memory has a warranty of longer than one year, as I've been burnt
twice by memory failures (on cheap generic "sale" memory) just
after the one year warranty expired. Dammit, I want to own my
memory, not rent it :-)

HTH,
Paul
Old January 10th 05, 09:50 PM
FG

I use two 512 Kingston 3200 Cas 2.5 (not twins, but it does
not make any difference).

They are on Asus compatibility list for that motherboard.

Old January 11th 05, 12:12 AM
Paul Busby

Thus spake Paul:
I use Ballistix PC3200 at DDR400 2-2-2-6 and find it is error
free in dual channel mode. But it is a little more expensive
than the Mushkin. If you only plan to ever run the memory
at DDR333 (166MHz), you may not need to bother with the more
expensive memories.

Just what I wanted to know Paul, so thanks for that. I'm toying with the
idea of replacing my XP1800+ with an XP2400 m & 2x512 PC3200 to replace my
Crucial 2x256 sticks. My concern was that the Crucial RAM isn't recommended
by Asus but do they update these recommendations - probably not for an "old"
m/b such as this one.

Old January 11th 05, 01:28 AM
Paul

In article , "Paul Busby"
wrote:

Thus spake Paul:
I use Ballistix PC3200 at DDR400 2-2-2-6 and find it is error
free in dual channel mode. But it is a little more expensive
than the Mushkin. If you only plan to ever run the memory
at DDR333 (166MHz), you may not need to bother with the more
expensive memories.

Just what I wanted to know Paul, so thanks for that. I'm toying with the
idea of replacing my XP1800+ with an XP2400 m & 2x512 PC3200 to replace my
Crucial 2x256 sticks. My concern was that the Crucial RAM isn't recommended
by Asus but do they update these recommendations - probably not for an "old"
m/b such as this one.

My purchase was just like everyone else - "pays your money,
takes your chances". I mean, when the QVL still has Winbond
based DIMMs listed (Winbond going out of production more than
a year ago), what good is such a QVL ? Asus just doesn't seem
to be that interested in maintaining their QVLs.

http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?langs=09&m=A7N8X (see bottom of page)

I didn't know whether this RAM would work or not, and
it was either pick the Ballistix (with the latest Micron
chip rev on it) or pick one of the other six suppliers
selling CAS2 Samsung TCCD ram (like Corsair 3200XL). I selected
the Ballistix partially based on being able to easily move it
between my A7N8X-E and P4C800-E. So far, no problems on either
board, running at stock PC3200 speeds, 2-2-2-6, dual channel.

My purchase was the process of elimination. Reports of certain
CAS3 sticks not working, some cheap CAS3 I already had that
wouldn't work without errors, reading reports of PC4000 memory
not fixing the problem on the A7N8X etc - that left CAS2 as the
only other alternative. So I got lucky...

Not all chipsets are this bad, but it would seem that there
are still designs out there (including some of the Athlon64
processors) that aren't really that happy at DDR400.

It is a lot like "high tech roulette" :-)

Paul
Old January 11th 05, 10:32 PM
Matt

"Paul Busby" wrote in message
Thus spake Paul:
I use Ballistix PC3200 at DDR400 2-2-2-6 and find it is error
free in dual channel mode. But it is a little more expensive
than the Mushkin. If you only plan to ever run the memory
at DDR333 (166MHz), you may not need to bother with the more
expensive memories.

Just what I wanted to know Paul, so thanks for that. I'm toying with the
idea of replacing my XP1800+ with an XP2400 m & 2x512 PC3200 to replace my
Crucial 2x256 sticks. My concern was that the Crucial RAM isn't
recommended by Asus but do they update these recommendations - probably
not for an "old" m/b such as this one.

Crucial test and guarantee there own RAMS on each motherboard, so if you
went through their RAM selector and selected the correct RAM for your
motherboard and it did not work then you would be able to get it replaced.

Matt

Old January 12th 05, 07:48 AM
Lou

I can't find a compatibility list for the A7N8X-E Deluxe on the ASUS
site so I''m going by the list for the A7N8X Deluxe. Can you give me
the URL?

Thanks,
Louis

Old January 12th 05, 08:13 AM
Lou

Are memory timings typically referred to in a specific order? You
refer to running Balistix at 2-2-2-6. To which parameter does each
number refer? In my BIOS I get the following timings:

Column "A" = "AUTO" (166 MHz.)
Column "B" = "BySPD" (200 MHz.)

A B
SDRAM Active Precharge Delay 7 8
SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay 3 3
SDRAM RAS Precharge Delay 3 3
SDRAM CAS Latency 2.5T 3T

This is obviously in a different order than the way you state it.
(BTW this is with two sticks of 256MB Kingston PC3200 memory and it
seems to run fine at 400 MHz. async with an Athlon 2600+).

I was planning to upgrade the RAM on my A7N8X Deluxe to two 512MB
modules and pass my two 256MB modules down to my kids (I'm upgrading
their PC with a new mobo & CPU). If I do that, I want capability to
run the new 1GB @ DDR400 in case I upgrade to a 400 FSB processor or
an Athlon64.

Thanks everyone for all of the input.

Louis

Old January 12th 05, 08:30 AM
Lou

Sure enough - and it's only $79.99 with free shipping straight from
their web site! I notice that it is only CAS-3; I'd be more
comfortable with 2 or 2.5. Even though I have a 166MHz. FSB CPU
(Athlon 2600+ Barton) I can run the memory at 200 MHz. async. for
testing with memtest86 during the return period.

Thanks,

Louis

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 21:32:08 -0000, "Matt"
wrote:

Thus spake Paul: