Use HDD from AMD Proc Motherboard in Intel Proc Motherboard

Old August 15th 04, 02:48 PM
Sekhar

Default Use HDD from AMD Proc Motherboard in Intel Proc Motherboard

I was tring to use my HDD from my HP AMD machine on a Emachine INTEL
Proc as boot disk.

For some reason, the HDD cannot be recogonized on my Intel Proc's
motherboard. When I plug in the same in the AMD Proc Motherboard, it
works great.

I know most of the devices would need to be reinstalled by doing this
due to a diffrent chipset. But didn't know that HDD itself would not
be recogonized.

Could someone explain why this could happen?

Thanks in advance.

Sekhar
Old August 15th 04, 07:41 PM
Paul

In article ,
(Sekhar) wrote:

I was tring to use my HDD from my HP AMD machine on a Emachine INTEL
Proc as boot disk.

For some reason, the HDD cannot be recogonized on my Intel Proc's
motherboard. When I plug in the same in the AMD Proc Motherboard, it
works great.

I know most of the devices would need to be reinstalled by doing this
due to a diffrent chipset. But didn't know that HDD itself would not
be recogonized.

Could someone explain why this could happen?

Thanks in advance.

Sekhar

Have you checked the jumpers on the drive Master/Slave/Cable_Select ?
Does the Emachine have a limit on the size of disk it can take ?

Try a search on the two terms - Emachine disk - in Google. Some
disks have a "limit jumper". When the limit or clipping jumper
is installed, it limits the size of the disk to 32GB. (You may need
to find an extra jumper to do this.) Maybe that will allow the disk
to be seen by the BIOS. If that works, you won't be booting from it,
unless the disk was prepared with the limit jumper inserted in the
first place. Clipping off a portion of the disk would change the
integrity of the file system, so using the limit jumper is solely
for the purpose of seeing if the disk can be detected - don't try
booting from it in that state. Just check in the BIOS to see if
the disk can be seen.

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...news cene.com

If that works, remove the limit jumper, put it back on the HP, back
up any useful info. Install the limit jumper, reformat the disk on
the HP, install Windows on the disk, then take it back to the
Emachine. It is only worth doing, if the limit jumper test in the
second paragraph above works.

As it is an Emachine, anything is possible.

Paul

Gigabyte GA-8IDML with mobile CPU? Cuzman Overclocking 1 December 8th 04 09:20 PM
intel 810 motherboard replacement M Berki General 1 October 29th 04 06:11 AM
Intel chipsets are the most stable? rstlne Overclocking AMD Processors 105 October 26th 04 02:53 AM
Motherboard for P4. MS Overclocking 80 August 2nd 04 10:14 PM
533Mhs Intel Proc on I845D With DDR 333 Alain Alexandre Overclocking 0 December 17th 03 10:50 AM