wake up on lan request

Old December 5th 03, 01:11 PM
Kyle Brant

Often times, a WOL header is present on a MOBO for connection to a PCI
NIC card, and the onboard NIC will not respond to WOL b/c it requires
that the chipset receive power at all times (from the Standby voltage
circuit) and doing so would require the chipset to have 2 different
power connections. I have not checked my a7n8x to see whether this is
the case, but this WAS true with my SIS735 chipset based mobo (ECS
k7s5a). Also, usually a "magic packet" transmission program is
required to wakeup a computer via a network connection, depends on the
NIC.

--
Best regards,
Kyle
"Maria" wrote in message
| I have PCI wake-up option enabled in my bios (latest version) but
nothing
| happens. I have a wireless network mounted at my home, with a router
| share an Internet connection between this Desktop PC with ASUS A7N8X
mobo
| and a
| notebook.
|
| Everything is OK. The internet is accessible by both computers, and
I can
| share files between them BUT I MUST POWER ON THEM MANUALY.
|
| Yesterday I tried to wake up my desktop computer by making a Remote
Desktop

Old December 5th 03, 09:34 PM
David Shorthouse

I don't know of a single wireless NIC that has WOL capabilities, i.e.
maintains the 5v connection for this to work. If you think about it, this
makes sense because the card has to be able to filter out all other radio
signals for a correct wake-up signal.

Dave

"Maria" wrote in message
I have PCI wake-up option enabled in my bios (latest version) but nothing
happens. I have a wireless network mounted at my home, with a router to

Old December 6th 03, 06:09 AM
David Shorthouse

I don't know of a single wireless NIC that has WOL capabilities, i.e.
maintains the 5v connection for this to work. If you think about it, this
makes sense because the card has to be able to filter out all other radio
signals for a correct wake-up signal.

Dave

I believe the Linksys LNE100TX does.

That one wireless? I have a LNE100TX wired NIC and yes, you're right, WOL
works just fine.

Dave

Question about transfer speeds between HDs, and DMA mode ZigZag Master Overclocking AMD Processors 25 July 25th 04 09:56 PM
Maximum System Bus Speed David Maynard Overclocking 41 April 14th 04 10:47 PM
wake on PME or RI Rob Homebuilt PC's 3 April 8th 04 12:48 PM
P4C800-E: Wake on ring (WOR) not working Derek Hawkins Asus Motherboards 3 December 4th 03 05:51 PM
Can't get my computer to wake up for scheduled tasks P4S533-X. Simon Asus Motherboards 0 July 26th 03 05:12 PM