P4PE - How to switch audio out from front to back connector

Old November 2nd 03, 11:14 PM
Sierras

Default P4PE - How to switch audio out from front to back connector

Hello,

My computer has the audio jack working from the front connector only.
I get no audio from the back connector jack.

How can I change this configuration so that I get audio from the rear
jack instead of the front jack. I use amplified speakers which have a
headset jack already. Running the speaker cable to the front of the
computer is a pain. Please help!!

Thanks
Old November 3rd 03, 12:38 AM
Paul

In article , Sierras
wrote:

Hello,

My computer has the audio jack working from the front connector only.
I get no audio from the back connector jack.

How can I change this configuration so that I get audio from the rear
jack instead of the front jack. I use amplified speakers which have a
headset jack already. Running the speaker cable to the front of the
computer is a pain. Please help!!

Thanks

With the case audio cable disconnected and the two jumpers put back
on the header, you'll get sound from the rear connector.

If your case has an "Intel Compatible" audio cable, both the front and
the back will work. Plugging a headset into the front, mutes the rear
connector. If you buy an Asus J-Panel, that is a product that
sits in a drive bay, and it has an Intel Compatible audio cable as well.
In that case you would disconnect the case cable and use the J-Panel
instead.

In your current situation, you have two options. With the two jumpers
missing and your case audio connected, you'll only get audio on the
front connector.

If you can find a way of doing the same thing the jumpers do, while
the case audio cable remains in place, then you can have sound on
both front and back simultaneously. This can be done by winding a single
strand of copper wire from a power cord, around a pair of pins normally
jumpered (you'll need a separate strand for each pair of pins). A second
way of doing this, is to solder a jumper wire to the back of the
motherboard. You have to be careful when doing this, that you don't
come in contact with the +5V pin on the header.

HTH,
Paul
Old November 3rd 03, 01:21 AM
Sierras

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 18:38:14 -0500, (Paul) wrote:

In article , Sierras
wrote:

[...]

Thanks,

I am really not that knowledgeable about the internal parts of a
computer. So I won't even attempt to do any kind of soldering or
winding wires around pins. But the first suggestion you made seems
easy enough for even me to attempt. However, I don't know what the
'header' is when you suggest to disconnect the two jumpers and put
them bak on the header. Could you explain a little more in how to go
about doing this or what to look for?

Thanks..
Old November 3rd 03, 05:50 AM
Darkfalz

"Sierras" wrote in message
Hello,

My computer has the audio jack working from the front connector only.
I get no audio from the back connector jack.

How can I change this configuration so that I get audio from the rear
jack instead of the front jack. I use amplified speakers which have a
headset jack already. Running the speaker cable to the front of the
computer is a pain. Please help!!

Unplug the audio front panel connector.

Old November 3rd 03, 08:59 AM
Paul

In article , "Darkfalz"
wrote:

"Sierras" wrote in message
Hello,

My computer has the audio jack working from the front connector only.
I get no audio from the back connector jack.

How can I change this configuration so that I get audio from the rear
jack instead of the front jack. I use amplified speakers which have a
headset jack already. Running the speaker cable to the front of the
computer is a pain. Please help!!

Unplug the audio front panel connector.

See PDF page 54 of this document:

http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock...e1110_p4pe.pdf

The two blue things on the FP_AUDIO1 header are jumpers. You remove
the audio cable from your case and then put the two jumpers back.
This will give you audio on the Lime connector on the back of the
computer.

HTH,
Paul
Old November 3rd 03, 12:34 PM
Darkfalz

"Paul" wrote in message
In article , "Darkfalz"
wrote:

"Sierras" wrote in message
Hello,

My computer has the audio jack working from the front connector only.
I get no audio from the back connector jack.

How can I change this configuration so that I get audio from the rear
jack instead of the front jack. I use amplified speakers which have a
headset jack already. Running the speaker cable to the front of the
computer is a pain. Please help!!

Unplug the audio front panel connector.

See PDF page 54 of this document:

http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock...e1110_p4pe.pdf

The two blue things on the FP_AUDIO1 header are jumpers. You remove
the audio cable from your case and then put the two jumpers back.
This will give you audio on the Lime connector on the back of the
computer.

Oh yes, forgot about that.

Old November 4th 03, 08:09 PM
Sierras

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 02:59:05 -0500, (Paul) wrote:

In article , "Darkfalz"
wrote:

"Sierras" wrote in message
Hello,

My computer has the audio jack working from the front connector only.
I get no audio from the back connector jack.

How can I change this configuration so that I get audio from the rear
jack instead of the front jack. I use amplified speakers which have a
headset jack already. Running the speaker cable to the front of the
computer is a pain. Please help!!

Unplug the audio front panel connector.

See PDF page 54 of this document:

http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock...e1110_p4pe.pdf

The two blue things on the FP_AUDIO1 header are jumpers. You remove
the audio cable from your case and then put the two jumpers back.
This will give you audio on the Lime connector on the back of the
computer.

HTH,
Paul

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I found the wires you are
referring to. But there are no blue jumpers. Only wires connected to
long black plastic connectors that go directly to the pins. So when I
pull them out, there is no more sound. I guess I have to go to a
computer store and get a couple of those blue jumpers to get the sound
to the back panel.

Thanks again..
Old November 5th 03, 01:53 PM
Sierras

wrote:

"Sierras" wrote in message
[...]

OK - all is well. Installed the jumpers and the sound is where I want
it. Thanks for all your help..