P4P800 questions

Old July 5th 03, 08:08 AM
Steve Colburn

Default P4P800 questions

"John" wrote in message om...
I'm looking to buy a 2.8GHz 800FSB processor and the P4P800
motherboard. Not sure what I really get with the deluxe version of
the motherboard other then what looks like settings for the FSB down
to 400. Anyway, I had three questions:

1. With memory, am I gaining anying by going with PC3700(DDR466)
memory over the standard PC3200 (DDR400) memory? The cost is about
$100 for a gig.

2. What footprint is this motherboard when I go for a case? Is it a
standard ATX case? I'd reuse my P4B-LS motherboard case, but am
concerned with the power requirements of this motherboard if I did.

3. Is the P4P800 a good motherboard, or would there be a better one I
should be looking at?

Thanks.

JR

Fantastic choice!

1. Unless you are going to overclock, then get the PC3200 - get good memory though. Corsair XMS is good stuff.

2. Just about any new case will do. It is an ATX mobo. The power supply issue has been greatly debated here. Get a good one,
safe to say around 350 watt. Unless you have very special needs the 400+ watt ones probably won't do you much. But, get a good
one. Did I say that already?

3. Yes, it is a great mobo. Some folks have had problems, but then some folks will have problems. That is not a dig at anybody,
it is just the nature of this business. I've built many a system in the last 10 years, and each time I turn on the power switch for
the first time, I say a prayer!

Don't skimp on parts!

I just built two P4P800 systems - both are rock solid.

Steve

Old July 6th 03, 05:56 PM
Steve Colburn

I've been doing exactly the same. I also mainly shop at Googlegear, and also Newegg.com. I live in Alaska & Googlegear's "free"
shipping is the best I've found - they only tag on $10. Amazon is the absolute best as they will ship for free to Alaska, but their
choices in this arena are quite limited.

I too kept my old case (Antec), but bought an Antec Truepower 430 from Amazon. I then went to FrontX.com and purchased the
USB/Firewire/headphone/mic box for front access. Quite cheap & they too ship free!

Good choice on memory. One note on the processor - I built two systems, one was based on the 2.8, and mine is the 3.0. The 3ghz
chip comes with a much improved heatsink/fan setup. Is that alone worth the extra $? No, but go ahead and get it. The 3.2 is
coming out so the 3.0 is much cheaper now than what it was a month ago when I bought mine.

In any case - have fun!

Steve

"John" wrote in message om...
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the advice. I've decided to go with the following:

- Pentium 4 2.8GHz 800MHz Socket 478 Processor
- Asus P4P800
- Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2PT 1GB DDR400

I'm also looking at the Antec Sonata Quiet Mid Tower Case, however
paying $75 for shipping alone on a case is not something I want to do.
The case I have is an Antec also, and my hard drives are in an
external case (scsi), so am guessing I'll be ok power wise.

Still falling into that age old problem of when to buy. I used to buy
the latest and greatest (really want the 3GHz unit), and found that
the cost to buy something one step below the latest was considerably
cheaper, and the performace differences were not noticable. I usually
purchase from www.googlegear.com, however the prices for the above
components seem to keep dropping slightly every day. Hard to purchase
something when you know in a few hours it will be cheaper. (:

Thanks again.

JR

"G.B. Langer" wrote in message ...
John, I just finished building a similar system using the P4P800, but using
the retail (with Intel cooling) P4c2.4GB with two sticks of Kensington 256MB
memory instead. I built one other PC 7 years ago and did some minor
upgrading to it so I am by no means an expert on this. What I did do was
what you are doing now; researching and asking questions here. Excellent
advice here. I went with the non-Deluxe model because I didn't need some of
the other features of the Deluxe, but for the little expense more you might
consider it.

I went with the Kensington PC3200 because it was on the approved chart for
this board at the ASUS site. I'm sure other memory brands will work as well,
seeing here others are having great success, especially with the Corsair. As
you know you want 2 identical modules.

I went with an Antec Performance II Model SX630II ATX case. It only has a
300W power supply but all I have is a hard drive and a CD writer. Rumor is
the Antec power supplies are very conservatively rated so I feel okay with
the 300W. I could always uprgrade it if I ever had the need more later on. I
assume your old case is fine if the power supply is adequate. The board will
fit standard ATX cases. Make sure you have adequate case cooling. My case
came with 1 rear exhaust fan but I put in 2 front Antec intake fans as an
option, seeing as they were only $5 at NewEgg.com. :-)

I am extremely pleased that I chose the P4P800 and think you will too. It is
rock stable and fast with no problems whatsoever. I have pretty much
everything in the BIOS set at Default and have not experimented with
overclocking. Maybe later on I'll try some tweaking. The only difficulty I
had assembling was trying to figure out the connections for the front case
USB wires to the motherboard and the front case LED and switch wires. I got
the correct orientation here on this newsgroup quickly.

Good luck and have fun,
Beau

Old July 6th 03, 09:23 PM
G.B. Langer

Still falling into that age old problem of when to buy. I used to buy

NewEgg.com, definitely!!! Superb service, shipping, and price! No problems
for me.

See reviews of this case at:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...Antec+ Sonata
$15 shipping for the case.

Old July 7th 03, 11:48 AM
Y6g11

I'm also looking at the Antec Sonata Quiet Mid Tower Case, however
paying $75 for shipping alone on a case is not something I want to do.

As another poster stated, don't expect it to be that quiet. In fact I found it
to be noisier due to the holes on the side that spell out Antec.
Old July 7th 03, 11:53 AM
Y6g11

NewEgg.com, definitely!!! Superb service, shipping, and price! No problems
for me.

No refunds on 9700 or 9800 Pro Video boards at NewEgg. Only exchnge for same.
If it doesn't work in your system you are **** out of luck.

Is ZALMAN CNPS7000A-AlCu compatible with the ASUS P4P800 Deluxe motherboard? [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 4 April 9th 04 10:19 PM
serial ATA vs ATA133...can't decide on wich...to much unanswered questions... KILOWATT General 2 July 12th 03 10:13 AM
P4P800 Two Questions Jon Asus Motherboards 5 July 2nd 03 04:22 AM
P4P800 Cliff Asus Motherboards 3 July 1st 03 12:07 AM
p4p800 work with PIII PSU? Paul Asus Motherboards 2 June 25th 03 11:17 PM