Asus ENGTS250 got 2 power socket??

Old April 18th 09, 11:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
.YC

Default Asus ENGTS250 got 2 power socket??

Hi I bought a Asus ENGTS250 DK/HTDI/512MD3, but the card i get is different
from whant i see on internet. My Asus GTS250 come with 2 power socket. So am
i getting a reall 250 or what?

Can someone clarify this?
Thanks
YC

Old April 21st 09, 05:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

GTS250 1GB cards have a new, shorter PCB design with one power connector.
GTS250 512MB cards are typically just rebadged 9800GTX+ cards, so they have
two power connectors. See CNet's shopping page listing both Asus 1GB and
512MB cards:
http://shopper.cnet.com/buy-video-ca...g=mncol;d ir2

Anandtech explains this in detail:
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3523

Old April 21st 09, 05:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
.YC

Thanks for the info. So GTS250 512MB chip is different from 1gb version and
eat more power juice? Can i just use one power connector instead of 2?

Regards
YC

Old April 21st 09, 11:45 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

Nope. The GPU is identical among the 512MB and 1GB versions of GTS250, and
9800GTX+. The 9800GTX+ has two power connectors because its PCB was carried
over from the 65nm 9800GTX_.

Because of the carry-over, the PCB is probably designed to not fully
function if only one connector is plugged in.

Old April 22nd 09, 04:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
.YC

Thank you very much for the info, now all my doubt cleared. The sad matter
is a week after i bought this 512mb version the other shop selling 1gb
version cheaper than my zz

Old April 22nd 09, 11:30 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

In the week it took for a GTX285 to be shipped to me, its price dropped by
$40... This is the "bleed" part of bleeding edge.