Capturing video with Geforce 9800 series?

Old February 17th 09, 04:10 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Slattery \(H0llyw00d H0gan\)

Default Capturing video with Geforce 9800 series?

Am I able to use my GeForce 9800 GTX+ card to capture VHS video and store it
on my HDD for later transfer to DVD?

Old February 17th 09, 05:50 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

"Slattery (H0llyw00d H0gan)" wrote in message
Am I able to use my GeForce 9800 GTX+ card to capture VHS video and store
it on my HDD for later transfer to DVD?

It's not designed as a video capture card, so no. I'd pick up a USB capture
device for $40 or so...there are lots to choose from and I've not read the
reviews. This is one of many...

Old February 17th 09, 06:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

If your card is advertised with VIVO capabilities, then yes. Just use any
WDM-compliant capture application, such as VirtualVCR:
http://virtualvcr.sourceforge.net/ . The L-R audio lines from the VCR plug
separately into the line-in jack on your sound card (typically you'll need
an RCA-to-3.5mm Y-cable).

Bear in mind commercial VHS films have Macrovision copy-protection, so you
may need a video stabilizer box between the VCR and the card. Self-recorded
tapes obviously won't need it.

Old February 17th 09, 07:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

"First of One" wrote in message
If your card is advertised with VIVO capabilities, then yes. Just use any
WDM-compliant capture application, such as VirtualVCR:
http://virtualvcr.sourceforge.net/ . The L-R audio lines from the VCR plug
separately into the line-in jack on your sound card (typically you'll need
an RCA-to-3.5mm Y-cable).

I don't think there are any 9800 or 8800 series cards that actually do
VIVO......can you point me to one?

Old February 17th 09, 07:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

Good point. A few minutes on Google and it looks like no manufacturer has
deviated from the reference design by putting a VIVO chip on the PCB. Oh
well.

Old February 17th 09, 08:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

"First of One" wrote in message
Good point. A few minutes on Google and it looks like no manufacturer has
deviated from the reference design by putting a VIVO chip on the PCB. Oh
well.

I just upgraded to an eVGA GTX 260 SSC 896Mb unit and it won't do it either.
None of the GTX 280's I looked at when upgrading did. I think it's largely
an add-on card or dongle thing now.