65w vs 125w

Old September 17th 08, 04:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Dave[_33_]

Default 65w vs 125w

Is there a difference between the same CPU running at 65w vs 125w?

I see the same CPU on NewEgg with two different power requirements and
I'm not sure what the difference is.

Thanks!

Old September 17th 08, 05:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Wes Newell[_2_]

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 15:32:50 +0000, Dave wrote:

Is there a difference between the same CPU running at 65w vs 125w?

I see the same CPU on NewEgg with two different power requirements and
I'm not sure what the difference is.

Thanks!

The difference is that one uses less electricity. This is because it runs
at a lower default voltage. Normally, the lower watt one will overclock
more also.

Old September 18th 08, 08:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Scott Lurndal

Dave writes:
In article ,
says...
On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 15:32:50 +0000, Dave wrote:

Is there a difference between the same CPU running at 65w vs 125w?

I see the same CPU on NewEgg with two different power requirements and
I'm not sure what the difference is.

Thanks!

The difference is that one uses less electricity. This is because it runs
at a lower default voltage. Normally, the lower watt one will overclock
more also.

Awesome, thanks.

So I should always pick the lower watt one if possible?

It depends on your performance requirements. If the 65 watt part could
perform at the level of the 125w part, they're wouldn't be a 125w part.

scott
Old September 18th 08, 10:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Wes Newell[_2_]

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 19:55:33 +0000, Scott Lurndal wrote:

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 19:55:33 +0000, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Dave writes:
In article ,
says...
On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 15:32:50 +0000, Dave wrote:

Is there a difference between the same CPU running at 65w vs 125w?

I see the same CPU on NewEgg with two different power requirements
and I'm not sure what the difference is.

Thanks!

The difference is that one uses less electricity. This is because it
runs at a lower default voltage. Normally, the lower watt one will
overclock more also.

Awesome, thanks.

So I should always pick the lower watt one if possible?

It depends on your performance requirements. If the 65 watt part could
perform at the level of the 125w part, they're wouldn't be a 125w part.

scott

I hope you aren't thinking a 125W cpu will out perform a 65W cpu when they
are both running the same speed. That's just not the case with the same
model CPU. All CPU's are refined over time. Some even with the core will
work at the rated speed at lower voltage, thus drawing less current. The
speed would be identical. The only way one would out perform the other
would be by overclocking it. And a lower watt rated cpu will normally
overclock higher than a higher watt rated cpu.

Old September 20th 08, 01:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
mr deo

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
I hope you aren't thinking a 125W cpu will out perform a 65W cpu when they
are both running the same speed. That's just not the case with the same
model CPU. All CPU's are refined over time. Some even with the core will
work at the rated speed at lower voltage, thus drawing less current. The
speed would be identical. The only way one would out perform the other
would be by overclocking it. And a lower watt rated cpu will normally
overclock higher than a higher watt rated cpu.

WES FOR PRESIDENT...

U got my vote man!...
That aside... I thought a 65w jump from 125w was a lot..
If this is a Mobile-vs-Desk part then I think it's a huge dip. On a side
note ( I figgure you will know ) do the mfgr's sometimes carry the same part
numbers through to newgen products when there's a change to a higher density
tech?

Old September 20th 08, 07:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Wes Newell[_2_]

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 00:07:02 +0000, mr deo wrote:

That aside... I thought a 65w jump from 125w was a lot.. If this is a
Mobile-vs-Desk part then I think it's a huge dip. On a side note ( I
figgure you will know ) do the mfgr's sometimes carry the same part
numbers through to newgen products when there's a change to a higher
density tech?

True part numbers will always be different for one core to the next afaik.
However, many times the selling model number will be the same from one gen
to the next. A great example of this was with the AMD XP line of CPU's.

Old November 7th 08, 02:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
pokey man

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 00:07:02 +0000, mr deo wrote:

That aside... I thought a 65w jump from 125w was a lot.. If this is a
Mobile-vs-Desk part then I think it's a huge dip. On a side note ( I
figgure you will know ) do the mfgr's sometimes carry the same part
numbers through to newgen products when there's a change to a higher
density tech?

True part numbers will always be different for one core to the next afaik.
However, many times the selling model number will be the same from one gen
to the next. A great example of this was with the AMD XP line of CPU's.

Frequency takes more power so you will find higher frequency processors draw
more power...and create more heat just like a lightbulb the difference in
wattage will have more or less light and more or less heat. HRH

kk

Old November 7th 08, 07:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Wes Newell[_2_]

On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 21:31:32 -0500, pokey man wrote:

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 00:07:02 +0000, mr deo wrote:

That aside... I thought a 65w jump from 125w was a lot.. If this is a
Mobile-vs-Desk part then I think it's a huge dip. On a side note ( I
figgure you will know ) do the mfgr's sometimes carry the same part
numbers through to newgen products when there's a change to a higher
density tech?

True part numbers will always be different for one core to the next
afaik. However, many times the selling model number will be the same
from one gen to the next. A great example of this was with the AMD XP
line of CPU's.

Frequency takes more power so you will find higher frequency processors
draw more power...and create more heat just like a lightbulb the
difference in wattage will have more or less light and more or less
heat. HRH

Frequency has very little meaning in power consumption. My dual core 4200+
draws less power with 2 cores running at 2.2Ghz than my older single core
3000+ running at 2.0Ghz. The only time you'll see a noticeable increase in
power consumption is when you increase the core voltage.