cad

Old September 8th 08, 10:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Rudy

Default cad

Can anyone tell me what they think would be a good AMD processor for AutoCAD
& solidworks applications? Thanks.

Rudy

Old September 11th 08, 06:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Benjamin Gawert

* Rudy:
Can anyone tell me what they think would be a good AMD processor for AutoCAD
& solidworks applications? Thanks.

Probably any as CAD generally doesn't require a beefy CPU (and you
didn't tell us of what complexity the projects that should be done on
the computer are, so I'm assuming light to normal complexity here). More
important is the gfx hardware, though.

However, if it's for business use and not just a hobby you definitely
don't want to build yourself but get a certified workstation from one of
the big vendors (i.e. HP, Dell, Lenovo) instead. There are also models
with AMD (i.e. HP xw4550) if you prefer them for some reason. They don't
really cost more than a self build system but provide you with proper
hardware support and usually are a requirement if you need support for
your CAD package from the ISV as well.

Benjamin
Old September 11th 08, 07:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Miles Bader

Benjamin Gawert writes:
However, if it's for business use and not just a hobby you definitely
don't want to build yourself but get a certified workstation from one
of the big vendors (i.e. HP, Dell, Lenovo) instead. ... They don't
really cost more than a self build system but provide you with proper
hardware support and usually are a requirement if you need support for
your CAD package from the ISV as well.

I've never owned anything from dell or hp, but I've been quite amazed
at the awful component choices in the "big vendor" PCs I've looked at.

I suppose a business usually prefers accountability over value though.

-Miles

--
Infancy, n. The period of our lives when, according to Wordsworth, 'Heaven
lies about us.' The world begins lying about us pretty soon afterward.
Old September 11th 08, 05:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Benjamin Gawert

* Miles Bader:

I've never owned anything from dell or hp,

I did (quite a lot of different systems) and still do.

but I've been quite amazed
at the awful component choices in the "big vendor" PCs I've looked at.

Really I can't see where the "awful choices" should be. But then you
probably shouldn't look at their consumer PCs.

I suppose a business usually prefers accountability over value though.

No, businesses do prefer value for money. But they usually don't see
value in acrylic fans with blue LED lighting, or overclocker stuff in
the BIOS. Business users see value in reliability, certifications,
remote management capabilities, support and product consistency.
Self-building is a nice hobby but as soon as you start to make money
with your computer you usually can't afford all the hazzle that comes
with DIY.

Also for me personally the value of self-built PCs made of generic
off-the-shelf components is around zero, basically for the same reasons.

Ben
Old September 14th 08, 01:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Rudy

Thanks for your comments. I built my system about four years ago. It
consists of an Athlon XP 3200+, Gigabyte Mobo, Quadro FX 3000 video card & 2
gig of DDR 3200/400 ram and WD raptor 10,000 rpm sata's. It is running quite
well but the video card is acting up. My problem is the card is an AGP and
they are now very hard to find. I want to go with PCIe X16. All I want to do
is switch out the Mobo, get a newer CPU and some DDR2 ram. I've been
building my own units for years and have no problems with that. I don't use
generic components I stick with name brands. I'm not fond of the proprietary
stuff or the support that's offered from Dell and others. Thanks again.
Rudy

. ..