Best socket A mobo

Old April 10th 08, 10:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Lee M.

Default Best socket A mobo

I am perfectly happy with the performance of my Epox 8RDA3+ and Athlon 2700+
CPU with WinXP SP2 and 1.2GB RAM. I had an 8RDA+ die due to bad caps and
while my 8RDA3+ runs fine, it occasionally fails to boot, especially on a
warm start, until the 2nd or 3rd attempt. I've read that this is a symptom
of failing caps so I'm looking for a replacement/backup. Would like to
stick with the nForce2 chipset.

I want to stick with a major brand (Abit, ASUS, etc.) Are there any brands
of socket A mobos that weren't susceptible (or less susceptible than most)
to the bad cap problem? I've always been an Epox guy but my impression is
that Epox boards may have had more capacitor problems than some others.
Plus they are out of business.

Any thoughts?

Old April 10th 08, 11:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Bob M

Lee M. wrote:
I am perfectly happy with the performance of my Epox 8RDA3+ and Athlon 2700+
CPU with WinXP SP2 and 1.2GB RAM. I had an 8RDA+ die due to bad caps and
while my 8RDA3+ runs fine, it occasionally fails to boot, especially on a
warm start, until the 2nd or 3rd attempt. I've read that this is a symptom
of failing caps so I'm looking for a replacement/backup. Would like to
stick with the nForce2 chipset.

I want to stick with a major brand (Abit, ASUS, etc.) Are there any brands
of socket A mobos that weren't susceptible (or less susceptible than most)
to the bad cap problem? I've always been an Epox guy but my impression is
that Epox boards may have had more capacitor problems than some others.
Plus they are out of business.

Any thoughts?

I am an Epox guy also. I still have an 8RDA3+ going strong in a backup
system. I really don't think Epox had any more or less failing caps than
anyone else. Have you tried Ebay? I know Epox is out of business but
some of their employees started a new company called Supox. My Epox
boards are so reliable that I haven't had to purchase a new board yet.
Knock on wood.

Bob
Old April 11th 08, 12:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Wes Newell

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 17:51:01 -0400, Lee M. wrote:

I am perfectly happy with the performance of my Epox 8RDA3+ and Athlon
2700+ CPU with WinXP SP2 and 1.2GB RAM. I had an 8RDA+ die due to bad
caps and while my 8RDA3+ runs fine, it occasionally fails to boot,
especially on a warm start, until the 2nd or 3rd attempt. I've read
that this is a symptom of failing caps so I'm looking for a
replacement/backup. Would like to stick with the nForce2 chipset.

I want to stick with a major brand (Abit, ASUS, etc.) Are there any
brands of socket A mobos that weren't susceptible (or less susceptible
than most) to the bad cap problem? I've always been an Epox guy but my
impression is that Epox boards may have had more capacitor problems than
some others. Plus they are out of business.

Any thoughts?

Don't waste your time (or money) with socket A. I just bought a couple of
AM2+ (supports new quad core Phenoms) MB's at Fry's for $59.99 each. And
that included dual core X2 4200+ 65W cpu's. So, it will be at least twice
as fast as any XP cpu, and gives you an upgrade path to boot. Today I
bought 2GB of DDR2 PC6400 ram for it for $20 after rebate. And they have
onboard video (Nvidia Geforce 6100/430 chipset).

Other thoughts. Find a $10 socket A MB on ebay.

Old April 11th 08, 12:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Lee M.

--

I plan to buy used on Ebay which is where I got the 8RDA3+. Going to AM2
will require me to get new memory and video card plus processor. Might was

Old April 11th 08, 12:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Lee M.

"Bob M" wrote in message
Lee M. wrote:
[...]

I got the 8RDA3+ on Ebay and there are a couple there right now. May buy
one as a backup. My current 2nd box is an 8KHA+ which I bought new in about
2001 or 2002. Still runs fine although I can see that some of caps are
bulging.