Dual channel question

Old July 2nd 04, 03:39 AM
Augustus

Default Dual channel question

Got a quick question about dual channel config on a Soltek SL-75FRN2 board.
Currently running a Barton 2500 with 1 stick PC2700 512Mb Samsung DDR. I've
got 2 x 256Mb sticks of matched PC3200 Samsung DDR that I'm going to put in
the primary dual channel slot and one of the secondaries. I know this will
enable dual channel; my other system has 2 x 512Mb set up this way. What
happens if I put the remaining original 512Mb PC2700 stick in the last
remaining slot. Does dual channel still function? Will it even boot? And if
you must have matched RAM in all three, does dual channel still operate with
all three slots filled? The m/b manual is none too clear on this. I'd
appreciate an answer to all three of these questions if someone
knows....thanks.

Old July 2nd 04, 08:48 AM
Ben Pope

Augustus wrote:
Got a quick question about dual channel config on a Soltek SL-75FRN2
board. Currently running a Barton 2500 with 1 stick PC2700 512Mb Samsung
DDR. I've got 2 x 256Mb sticks of matched PC3200 Samsung DDR that I'm
going to put in the primary dual channel slot and one of the secondaries.
I know this will enable dual channel; my other system has 2 x 512Mb set
up this way. What happens if I put the remaining original 512Mb PC2700
stick in the last remaining slot. Does dual channel still function?

Yes.

Will it even boot?

Yes.

And if you must have matched RAM in all three,

You don't need matched RAM.

does dual channel still operate with all three slots filled?

Yes

The m/b manual is none
too clear on this. I'd appreciate an answer to all three of these
questions if someone knows....thanks.

Be sure to run all of your RAM in spec, at least initially, so at 166MHz,
and with the slowest timings (probably those from the PC2700, but check).

Ben

Old July 2nd 04, 05:51 PM
Augustus

Be sure to run all of your RAM in spec, at least initially, so at 166MHz,
and with the slowest timings (probably those from the PC2700, but check).

Ben

Thanks for the info