Which is quicker ATI HD2400Pro or Nvidia 8500GT ?

Old March 9th 08, 08:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mike[_7_]

Default Which is quicker ATI HD2400Pro or Nvidia 8500GT ?

Hi,

The question is as per title, I need a new low profile PCI-E video
card for an HTPC and I want to know which is the quicker out of the
ATI HD2400Pro vs the Nvidia 8500GT ? Both cards under consideration
have 256MB of DDR2 memory fitted

I will mainly be using it to watch TV and DVDs so video speed is
important to me, and hardware HD decoding would be very nice for the
future. (Note : I don't play any games to any significant extent on
this machine).

Many thanks,

Mike
Old March 9th 08, 08:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

"Mike" wrote in message
Hi,

The question is as per title, I need a new low profile PCI-E video
card for an HTPC and I want to know which is the quicker out of the
ATI HD2400Pro vs the Nvidia 8500GT ? Both cards under consideration
have 256MB of DDR2 memory fitted

I will mainly be using it to watch TV and DVDs so video speed is
important to me, and hardware HD decoding would be very nice for the
future.

There's basicaly zero difference in speed in this regard. In HD decoding,
the AMD cards tend to be better at offloading the CPU. Here's some reading
regarding the 8600/8800 series and 2400/2600 series in their TV/DVD and HD
aspects.
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3047&p=1

Old March 9th 08, 10:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphi...5 6&chart=275

Too bad every single benchmark listed in that review has nothing to do with
his question....they're all 3D ability and speed tests.