New cooling fan on XFX 8800 GT?

Old February 25th 08, 05:09 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
S. Smith

Default New cooling fan on XFX 8800 GT?

I just got a new XFX 8800GT card and I love it....except the fan
is REALLY loud. I see on NewEgg.com (where I bought it) that
other reviewers have the same issue.

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16814150273

Question: Is it possible to replace the stock cooling fan on these
cards with a different cooling fan unit?

If so, does anyone have a brand and/or online source for replacement
cooling fans for XFX/nVidia cards?

Thanks in advance.

- Scott Smith:
MySpace:
http://www.myspace.com/choppersmith

Old February 25th 08, 10:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
johns

You can put a Zalman VF900 on it, but that is very tricky
to do. Problem is the 8800s seem to be uncleanable, and
the 2sided thermal tape used to stick the heat sinks on
the ram and mosfets doesn't work. The Zalman kit only
has the ram heatsinks, and you have to buy other heat
sinks for the 'fets. NewEgg has all the "other" stuff you
need ... tape strips, and narrow heat sinks for the 'fets
.... but I have not tried it, so I can't say it will work. I
know that you MUST clean off the tape from the Zalman
kit, and use the NewEgg tape. Then, if you get it all
to stick and work, you use a manual speed control on
the Zalman fan, and you can set it to an overspeed that
is still totally silent ( about 1400 rpm .. or a little less ).
All of that comes with the Zalman VF900. I'm not
kidding about it being tricky to do.

johns
Old February 26th 08, 12:16 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

From my earlier message

http://www.evga.com/products/moreinf...202-F2-EV03-A1
The good thing about this cooler is that it has been qualified by eVGA as an
OEM unit, so both fitment and cooling capacity are known to be good.

Old February 26th 08, 04:12 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
JLC

"S. Smith" wrote in message

I just got a new XFX 8800GT card and I love it....except the fan
is REALLY loud. I see on NewEgg.com (where I bought it) that
other reviewers have the same issue.

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16814150273

Question: Is it possible to replace the stock cooling fan on these
cards with a different cooling fan unit?

If so, does anyone have a brand and/or online source for replacement
cooling fans for XFX/nVidia cards?

Looks like XFX has totally changed there HSF on this card. I have the next
model up, the XXX version that is core clocked at 670 and it has the
reference HSF on it and is very quiet when idle, I've turned up the fan
using RivaTuner to run at 60% when it hits over 60C, even at that speed the
fan it is still pretty quiet. JLC

Old February 26th 08, 06:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
S. Smith

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 20:12:51 -0800, "JLC" jc@nospam wrote:

"S. Smith" wrote in message
.. .

I just got a new XFX 8800GT card and I love it....except the fan
is REALLY loud. I see on NewEgg.com (where I bought it) that
other reviewers have the same issue.

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16814150273

Question: Is it possible to replace the stock cooling fan on these
cards with a different cooling fan unit?

If so, does anyone have a brand and/or online source for replacement
cooling fans for XFX/nVidia cards?

Looks like XFX has totally changed there HSF on this card. I have the next
model up, the XXX version that is core clocked at 670 and it has the
reference HSF on it and is very quiet when idle, I've turned up the fan
using RivaTuner to run at 60% when it hits over 60C, even at that speed the
fan it is still pretty quiet. JLC

RivaTuner seems to have no effect on this fan. It runs loudly all
the time, even when the system is idle.

Any suggestions on what else I could try to fix this...or to replace
the fan?

Old February 26th 08, 09:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
S. Smith

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 12:16:39 -0600, S. Smith
wrote:

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 20:12:51 -0800, "JLC" jc@nospam wrote:

"S. Smith" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

I think I'm just going to RMA this with NewEgg.com and return it.

Maybe I'll replace it with one of the newer EVGA 9600GT cards instead.

Anyone having good luck with those?