8600GT Thoughts ?

Old February 15th 08, 10:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Wonderman

Default 8600GT Thoughts ?

I was considering upgrading from an XFX 7600 GS 256 to this -

FS X is a bit too choppy in the old card and I could use a boost in CAD as
well. Any thoughts appreciated. BTW I'm running a nearly silent Sony
desktop so fanless is really important.

Old February 16th 08, 12:36 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

"Wonderman" wrote in message
I was considering upgrading from an XFX 7600 GS 256 to this -

Bottom feeder for FS X 3D. A this 8800GS is twice the card for $60 more.

Better yet, why not just get a the real deal 256Mb 8800GT for $209

or this 512Mb Galaxy 8800GT for $184 with rebate
http://www.ncixus.com/products/27328...%20Technology/

I have one of the OC Galaxy 8800GT 512Mb cards and it's quality is right up
there with the best. Excellent overclocker too.

Old February 16th 08, 12:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Wonderman

I'd love to put one of those in but they all use fans. I've tried cards
that use fans and they all sound like Dustbusters on low speed.

Any ideas about fanless cards ?

Old February 16th 08, 01:08 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Wonderman wrote:
I was considering upgrading from an XFX 7600 GS 256 to this -

FS X is a bit too choppy in the old card and I could use a boost in CAD
as well. Any thoughts appreciated. BTW I'm running a nearly silent
Sony desktop so fanless is really important.

How about a fanless 512M 8800GT from ECS that costs only $215 (after rebate)

Thank you, NewEgg, and you are welcome Wonderman.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...L2B-_-14134035

Old February 16th 08, 01:12 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

"Wonderman" wrote in message
I'd love to put one of those in but they all use fans. I've tried cards
that use fans and they all sound like Dustbusters on low speed.

Any ideas about fanless cards ?

That Galaxy I pointed you at has a silent fan. It's not like the other
enclosed dustbuster 8800GT's.

Old February 16th 08, 03:11 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

Careful. According to the user reviews, ECS did a poor job with the
packaging; the card often
comes through shipping with bent fins and broken plastic trim.

. ..

Old February 16th 08, 03:25 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

First of One wrote:
Careful. According to the user reviews, ECS did a poor job with the
packaging; the card often
comes through shipping with bent fins and broken plastic trim.

Oh noes! Possibly bent fins! Possibly broken plastic trim! I too read
the reviews from the newegg buyers.

You bend the fin(s) back in place if necessary and if the optional fans
or plastic bits arrived mashed, you get new ones if you plan on even
using them.

That was a stretch even for you, firsty you old sock, you old horse
thief, you old so-and-so.
Old February 16th 08, 04:37 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Wonderman wrote:
I'd love to put one of those in but they all use fans. I've tried cards
that use fans and they all sound like Dustbusters on low speed.

Any ideas about fanless cards ?

Sparkle has a press release for a fanless one. The second link is a review.
Any time you buy a passive, be prepared to mount a fan next to it.

http://www.sparkle.com.tw/News/SP880...assive_EN.html
http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/489/1/

Paul

Old February 16th 08, 03:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

There are a lot of things I *can* do to repair the card, but I *won't*
because I paid money for a new, defect-free product.

As for the horse thief part, well, I don't trust anything with less than 4
wheels and a motor. Unless you are talking about a certain first-person
slasher game made by Bethesda...