Speedstep not active

Old January 17th 08, 05:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Daniel[_4_]

Default Speedstep not active

Hi

I am running Vista Ultimate and have just installed a Pentium D Extreme
Edition 840 3.2 GHZ CPU onto an Asus P5SD2-X motherboard.

The BIOS does not show the Speedstep option and when I run the Intel CPU
identification utility it shows that Speedstep is not running.

Any ideas on how I can fix this?

thanks

Daniel

Old January 17th 08, 06:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Plato

Daniel wrote:

I am running Vista Ultimate and have just installed a Pentium D Extreme
Edition 840 3.2 GHZ CPU onto an Asus P5SD2-X motherboard.

Do NOT run any MS OS until version 2 is out.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Old January 17th 08, 06:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Daniel[_4_]

"Plato" |@|.| wrote in message
Daniel wrote:

I am running Vista Ultimate and have just installed a Pentium D Extreme
Edition 840 3.2 GHZ CPU onto an Asus P5SD2-X motherboard.

Do NOT run any MS OS until version 2 is out.
http://www.bootdisk.com/

What has it got to do with the OS

Old January 17th 08, 06:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

Daniel wrote:
Hi

I am running Vista Ultimate and have just installed a Pentium D Extreme
Edition 840 3.2 GHZ CPU onto an Asus P5SD2-X motherboard.

The BIOS does not show the Speedstep option and when I run the Intel CPU
identification utility it shows that Speedstep is not running.

Any ideas on how I can fix this?

thanks

Daniel

The manual shows it at the bottom of the CPU Configuration screen
(manual section 2.4.2). You have to scroll down to see it.

Both the 840 and the motherboard, give the appearance of supporting
EIST, so it should work. (According to CPUSupport web page.)

On support.asus.com, I looked at the BIOS updates, and don't see
any relevant improvements listed there.

Another place to look, is here.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx...Language=en-us

Paul

Old January 17th 08, 07:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Daniel[_4_]

"Paul" wrote in message ...
Daniel wrote:
[...]

the Speedstep option shown in the Manual does not come up
in my BIOS, the last one is Hyperthreading?

I'll have a go on the ASUS forum

thanks

Daniel

Old January 17th 08, 07:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Daniel[_4_]

"Plato" |@|.| wrote in message
Daniel wrote:

"Plato" |@|.| wrote in message
Daniel wrote:

I am running Vista Ultimate and have just installed a Pentium D
Extreme
Edition 840 3.2 GHZ CPU onto an Asus P5SD2-X motherboard.

Do NOT run any MS OS until version 2 is out.
http://www.bootdisk.com/

What has it got to do with the OS

Everything

Can you be specific?

Old January 17th 08, 09:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Daniel[_4_]

news
wrote:

Do NOT run any MS OS until version 2 is out.
http://www.bootdisk.com/
What has it got to do with the OS

Everything

Can you be specific?

Vista

Vista works perfectly well for me, I do not have problems with MS products.

Cheers

Daniel

Old January 17th 08, 09:41 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

Daniel wrote:

Paul

the Speedstep option shown in the Manual does not come up
in my BIOS, the last one is Hyperthreading?

I'll have a go on the ASUS forum

thanks

Daniel

I download the 0605 BIOS. I used "mmtool", which is a simple BIOS
utility from AMI. It allows decompressing the component parts of the BIOS.
In the 11th module inside the BIOS, I can see this text:

Intel(R) SpeedStep(tm) tech.

Maximum: CPU speed is set to maximum.
Minimum: CPU speed is set to minimum.
Automatic: CPU speed controlled by Operating system.
Disabled: Default CPU speed.

My suspicion right now, is the setting *may* be related to
some other setting. One poster in the VIP forum, noticed a
change when putting the CPU speed in a manual mode. I see
an "AI Overclock" setting for example. While the SpeedStep
feature is in a different BIOS screen, there is always a (slim)
chance that the problem is related to some other BIOS setting.

Paul

Speedstep not active Daniel[_4_] Intel 0 January 17th 08 05:53 AM
Speedstep? Poly-poly man Overclocking 2 April 7th 06 07:32 PM
Pentium M Speedstep Intel 2 December 23rd 04 01:12 PM
DELL SpeedStep rfc Dell Computers 3 April 21st 04 04:36 AM
Looking for SCSI-to-SATA RAID w/active-active controllers Mark Landin Storage & Hardrives 5 February 26th 04 05:10 AM