8800GT HDMI sound

Old January 15th 08, 05:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Handmade

Default 8800GT HDMI sound

Hey folks. I justupgraded from an ATI HD2600 to the 8800GT Nvidia
card. I'm loving the graphics, but one thing has me wondering..

When I set up my ATI card, I had Digital Audio drivers to install so
my HDMI cable could carry sound and video to my plasma on the one
cable.

I have the 8800 installed now, but i'm not seeing an Audio device in
my device manager.. am i gonna have to run the sound of of my onboard
sound card? analog? If i am i'll be going back to the 2600.

i have looked for drivers, or software.... i'm not finding anything.

Old January 15th 08, 07:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
JLC

"Handmade" wrote in message
Hey folks. I justupgraded from an ATI HD2600 to the 8800GT Nvidia
card. I'm loving the graphics, but one thing has me wondering..

When I set up my ATI card, I had Digital Audio drivers to install so
my HDMI cable could carry sound and video to my plasma on the one
cable.

I have the 8800 installed now, but i'm not seeing an Audio device in
my device manager.. am i gonna have to run the sound of of my onboard
sound card? analog? If i am i'll be going back to the 2600.

i have looked for drivers, or software.... i'm not finding anything.

I pretty sure that the 8800GT doesn't support HDMI. If it did wouldn't it
come with a HDMI dongle?
I have the card and nowhere in the specs does it mention HDMI. Your ATI card
was made for HD output, I guess the name says it all HD2600. The 8800GT is a
gaming card, while the HD2600 is more a media center card. I'm wondering
when you bought the 8800GT didn't you check to see if it supported HDMI
since it's important to you? JLC

Old January 15th 08, 07:45 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Handmade

On Jan 15, 3:32*pm, "JLC" jc@nospam wrote:
"Handmade" wrote in message

[...]

I did check it says in the box here...

"nvidia Purevideo HD technology"

Old January 15th 08, 07:47 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Handmade

[...]

and no my ATI card didnt come with a dvi ti hdmi dongle. i had to buy
it seperately, but it worked.
Old January 15th 08, 10:19 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Steven

The Nvidia's do not support HDMI sound..

The ATI HD2xxx do and the ATI 38xx models do natively, but they are also
limited -- they do not support bitstream sound on HDMI and do not support
the new HD codecs like TrueHD, DTS- HD etc.

there is no shipping PC solution for this yet.

I have an ATI 3870 and easily got HDMI sound to work, but quickly when back
to the SPDIF out from my mother board for non PCM outout to my receiver for
DD, DTS etc. -- the sound is much better on the SPDIF

I expect I will try the auzentech X-prelude and X-tension setup for an HDMI
solution with full bitstream if reviews says it works

this is expected 2 or 3 quarter of the year

The auzentech is suppose to with the ATI or Nvidia cards to overlay the
audio in the HDMI stream in a HDMI 1.3 compliant way.... meeting all the
HDCP requirements, etc.

Old January 15th 08, 10:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Steven

It'll do HDMI video without problem -- I expect most of the 8800gt models
support HDCP fro the video piece, but as noted they will not do audio on the
this HDMI on their own..

"JLC" jc@nospam wrote in message
. ..

Old January 15th 08, 11:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
JLC

"Handmade" wrote in message

[...]

As it says "Pure VIDEO HD technology" It comes with a component cable dongle
so you can output a HD signal, but that's not true HDMI support. ATI is much
better when it comes to outputting video signals. I myself upgraded from an
ATI card to the 8800GT and found Nvidia's TV support really lacking compared
to ATI. JLC

Old January 16th 08, 05:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Handmade

"Handmade" wrote in message

[...]

to ATI. JLC- Hide quoted text -

Thanks everyone. Nice card, but i'm returning it. Just doesn't do what
i need it to.

No HDMI Sound on Diamond Radeon 2600XT Chuck Forsberg Ati Videocards 16 February 28th 08 05:09 AM
8800GT length dizzy Nvidia Videocards 10 January 25th 08 02:27 PM
Nvidia 8800GT/GTS mcp6453[_2_] Nvidia Videocards 16 December 29th 07 05:16 PM
Just got an 8800GT and a new system SHRED Nvidia Videocards 5 November 20th 07 03:23 PM
HDMI on a PC has Sound? Albert Homebuilt PC's 6 October 28th 07 11:31 AM