AGP best card currently available ?

Old December 27th 07, 06:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
billybob[_2_]

Default AGP best card currently available ?

Hi
Sorry if this has been asked before but....What is the currently the latest
state of the art card for us poor souls still with only motherboards with
AGP slots ?
My PC is 3 years old with P4 3.4ghz CPU and a GA-8I848PM motherboard...AGP
slot is max 8X
I did have Radeon 9600XT 256mb that came with the PC......But my son
recently bought Medal of Honour Airborne and it spat out the card saying it
needs a shader 3 compatable board.
Anyway I have just purchased a Sparkle NVidea 7600GT 512 MB (AGP).....it
seems to work ok after upgrading the drivers to 169.21....could I have
bought better ?
Thanks

Old December 27th 07, 08:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"billybob" wrote in message ...
Hi
Sorry if this has been asked before but....What is the currently the latest
state of the art card for us poor souls still with only motherboards with
AGP slots ?
My PC is 3 years old with P4 3.4ghz CPU and a GA-8I848PM motherboard...AGP
slot is max 8X
I did have Radeon 9600XT 256mb that came with the PC......But my son
recently bought Medal of Honour Airborne and it spat out the card saying it
needs a shader 3 compatable board.
Anyway I have just purchased a Sparkle NVidea 7600GT 512 MB (AGP).....it
seems to work ok after upgrading the drivers to 169.21....could I have
bought better ?
Thanks

The fastest AGP card is still Gainward's 24-pipe 7800GS+ (the
plus sign is significant: it's got a 7900GT core, 24 pipes instead
of the 7800GS's 20 pipes, it was a limited edition and only 1500
cards were produced worldwide). You probably won't be able
to find one of these anywhere.

Fairly close second is ATI's current HD2600 series (XT or Pro):

These are DX10 cards (unlike the 7800GS+ which is DX9) and
a whole lot easier to find in stock today.

Old December 28th 07, 01:36 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

The fastest AGP card is still Gainward's 24-pipe 7800GS+ (the
plus sign is significant: it's got a 7900GT core, 24 pipes instead
of the 7800GS's 20 pipes, it was a limited edition and only 1500
cards were produced worldwide). You probably won't be able
to find one of these anywhere.

Fairly close second is ATI's current HD2600 series (XT or Pro):

These are DX10 cards (unlike the 7800GS+ which is DX9) and
a whole lot easier to find in stock today.

The X1950 Pro AGP is a LOT faster than the HD2600 AGP, DX10 compliance is
really immaterial when you're talking 40% more framerates and game
benchmarks.

Old December 28th 07, 05:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"Augustus" wrote in message news:fqYcj.42562$UZ4.1153@edtnps89...
The fastest AGP card is still Gainward's 24-pipe 7800GS+ (the
plus sign is significant: it's got a 7900GT core, 24 pipes instead
of the 7800GS's 20 pipes, it was a limited edition and only 1500
cards were produced worldwide). You probably won't be able
to find one of these anywhere.

Fairly close second is ATI's current HD2600 series (XT or Pro):

These are DX10 cards (unlike the 7800GS+ which is DX9) and
a whole lot easier to find in stock today.

The X1950 Pro AGP is a LOT faster than the HD2600 AGP, DX10 compliance is
really immaterial when you're talking 40% more framerates and game
benchmarks.

It might be faster than the HD2600, but take a look at this:

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...view/page6.asp

Compared to the 7800GS (and GS+ even moreso), the X1950
chokes big time as soon as AA is enabled.

Old December 28th 07, 07:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

That's only in Quake4. If you look at the rest of the review, the X1950 is
63% faster than the 7800GS at 1920x1200 4xAA in BF2142, 61% faster in
Pacific Fighters, 20% faster in FEAR, and 56% faster in Company of Heroes.
This means the highest res. with AA are playable on the X1950, but
unplayable on the 7800GS. More interestingly, in Pacific Fighters, the
7800GS is delivering the same framerates as the older X850XT.

The 7800GS+ is as fast as a 7900GT at best, and the 7900GT is slower than
the X1950Pro. Even the XFX 7950GT AGP, the last of which seems to have dried
up from retail, is slightly slower than the X1950Pro. In all modern
shader-bound games, the 36 pixel shader units on the X1950Pro work quite
well.

t...

Old December 28th 07, 09:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
P Gagg

In article ,

*From:* "billybob"
*Date:* Thu, 27 Dec 2007 18:43:10 -0000

Its the Ati X1950 pro I think?

*Peter*
Old December 30th 07, 04:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Timelord

The gainward 7800GS+ is what i took out as it failed on me. Since i posted
the original message i have got a brand new XFX 7950GT 512mb card for my
aging AGP computer.

I will be building a new one shortly though.

Old December 30th 07, 10:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos[_2_]

First of One wrote:
That's only in Quake4. If you look at the rest of the review, the X1950 is
63% faster than the 7800GS at 1920x1200 4xAA in BF2142, 61% faster in
Pacific Fighters, 20% faster in FEAR, and 56% faster in Company of Heroes.
This means the highest res. with AA are playable on the X1950, but
unplayable on the 7800GS. More interestingly, in Pacific Fighters, the
7800GS is delivering the same framerates as the older X850XT.

The 7800GS+ is as fast as a 7900GT at best, and the 7900GT is slower than
the X1950Pro. Even the XFX 7950GT AGP, the last of which seems to have dried
up from retail, is slightly slower than the X1950Pro. In all modern
shader-bound games, the 36 pixel shader units on the X1950Pro work quite
well.

I've recommended the X1950 Pro to my AGP friends, above the 7800's and
7900 AGP's available simply due to price/performance ratio and
stability. The 1950 series was just a better card overall than the
current HD2600. Normally I'm an NVIDIA guy, but it's been a while since
ATI's made a great card like that one. Come on, 150 bucks or less and
it's damn near the fastest AGP you can get? That's nice.