AMD "Cool N Quiet" no longer clock throttling

Old December 20th 07, 12:04 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Crow

Default AMD "Cool N Quiet" no longer clock throttling

OS: Windows XP Pro SP2
RAM: 1.5GB
Video: BFG Tech 6800OC 128MB

I am currently unable to get “Cool N Quiet” to function on my system.
While it was operational in the past, I noticed today that the clock is
no longer being throttled. I discovered this when I right-clicked on
“My Computer,” and the clock speed was constantly at 2.00GHz. I
attempted to run the “AMD Dashboard Demo,” but received the following
error message:

“Failed initializing, make sure the AMDTools Driver is installed and
that this system has a PSS or PST object.”

I then downloaded and installed the “AMD Power Monitor,” which does run
successfully, and was able to verify that the clock was remaining
constant at 2GHz, regardless of CPU load. I then updated the “AMD
Processor Driver” from 1.2.2.2 to 1.3.2.0053. After restarting the
computer, the issue was still present. I then uninstalled the
1.3.2.0053 processor drivers, restarted, and reinstalled the MSI
supplied “AMD Cool and Quiet Driver,” version 1.2.2.0. After restarting
the computer, the issue was still present.

The motherboard is an MSI-6702, which is an AMD recommended motherboard.
“Cool N Quiet” is enabled in the BIOS, and Windows Power Management is
set to “Minimal Power Management.”

How do I get “Cool N Quiet” working on my machine again? Thanks.
Old December 20th 07, 08:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Wes Newell

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 18:04:14 -0500, Crow wrote:

The motherboard is an MSI-6702, which is an AMD recommended motherboard.
“Cool N Quiet” is enabled in the BIOS, and Windows Power Management is
set to “Minimal Power Management.”

How do I get “Cool N Quiet” working on my machine again? Thanks.

I don't run Windows, but I know that “Minimal Power Management.” means
minimal. That's translates to very little power management, not very low
cpu speeds. Try a different setting or take it to a windows group and ask.

Old December 20th 07, 10:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
André, PE1PQX

Crow gebruikte zijn klavier om te schrijven :
[...]

Try shutting down the windows power management, and let 'Cool 'n quiet'
take over.

André

Old December 21st 07, 12:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Crow

I don't run Windows, but I know that “Minimal Power Management.” means
minimal. That's translates to very little power management, not very low
cpu speeds. Try a different setting or take it to a windows group and ask.

AMD CPU driver instructions indicate to set Windows Power Management to
"Minimal Power Management."
Old December 21st 07, 01:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Crow

Try shutting down the windows power management, and let 'Cool 'n quiet'
take over.

André

It's not readily apparent that this is possible, under "Power Options,"
the lowest management setting is "Minimal Power Management." If you
look at the "Windows Native Processor Performance Control" doc
(http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...Contr ol.doc),
you will see that setting it to "Minimal Power Management" sets both AC
and DC CPU throttling to "adaptive," and "Cool 'N' Quiet" uses that to
throttle the clock speeds based on CPU demand.
Old December 21st 07, 03:04 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
rms[_2_]

AMD CPU driver instructions indicate to set Windows Power Management to
"Minimal Power Management."

Everything you've said sounds just like on my system. The only
suggestion I have is to reinstall the latest motherboard drivers from VIA.
Also get the latest Realtek audio & lan drivers from realtek while you are
it. Check the coolnquiet readme in case it has some requirements also.

rms