gforce 8500 gt or 8600 gs?

Old December 8th 07, 09:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
harry

Default gforce 8500 gt or 8600 gs?

hi all,

can u hlp me pls
there are two desktop systems one with geforce 8500gt the otherone with
8600gs. i know there should not be a 8600gs but a 8600m gs, but the item is
a desktop and not a mobile unit !!
i am a líttle confused.
the salesman says 8500 gt is much better because it is a "t" series

- i just want to know which one is better

- is it possible to install a 8600m gs in a desktop?? since it seems to be
designed for laptops ....

tks a lot
harry

Old December 8th 07, 10:40 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos[_2_]

harry wrote:
hi all,

can u hlp me pls
there are two desktop systems one with geforce 8500gt the otherone with
8600gs. i know there should not be a 8600gs but a 8600m gs, but the item is
a desktop and not a mobile unit !!
i am a líttle confused.
the salesman says 8500 gt is much better because it is a "t" series

- i just want to know which one is better

- is it possible to install a 8600m gs in a desktop?? since it seems to be
designed for laptops ....

tks a lot
harry

I've not heard of it being integrated into any motherboards yet, so I'd
assume your salesmonkey is full of it. Generally the 8500GT as a
desktop card is very underpowered. It's useful as a HTPC or replacement
card (like older 6200's or a 7300).

An 8600GT in a respectable system offers surprisingly good performance
though. I just had my brother replace his 7600GT with a 8600GT and the
performance in games like UT3 is very good all considering.
Old December 8th 07, 10:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon

'harry' wrote:
| can u hlp me pls
| there are two desktop systems one with geforce 8500gt the otherone with
| 8600gs. i know there should not be a 8600gs but a 8600m gs, but the item
is
| a desktop and not a mobile unit !!
| i am a líttle confused.
| the salesman says 8500 gt is much better because it is a "t" series
|
| - i just want to know which one is better
|
| - is it possible to install a 8600m gs in a desktop?? since it seems to be
| designed for laptops ....
_____

Find another 'salesman'. Better yet, find another place to buy. Mail
order, perhaps. Even Dell.

According to the nVidia web site:
8800 Ultra
8800 GTX
8800 GTS (640 MByte & 320 MByte)
8800 GT
8600 GTS
8600 GT
8500 GT
8400 GS

exist.

8xxxM cards do not fit in PCI-E sockets, so you would not find one in a
notebook computer. Also, the 8xxxM cards are more expensive and are
generally clocked lower than the 8xxx cards.

On the nVidia web site at
http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce8.html
you will find a chart comparing the specifications of each nVidia 8xxx
GPU/graphics system. As you can see, there are two versions of the 8600,
the 8600 GTS and the 8600 GT. The 8600 GTS has significantly better
perfomance compared to the GT. BOTH 8600 cards have MUCH better performance
than the 8500 GT, around three times better performance.
Core Clock (MHz)Shader Clock (MHz)Memory Clock (MHz)Memory AmountMemory
InterfaceMemory Bandwidth (GB/sec)Texture Fill Rate (billion/sec)
GeForce
8800 Ultra61215001080768MB384-bit103.739.2
GeForce
8800 GTX5751350900768MB384-bit86.436.8
GeForce
8800 GT6001500900512MB256-bit57.633.6
GeForce
8800 GTS5001200800640MB or
320MB320-bit6424
GeForce
8600 GTS67514501000256MB128-bit3210.8
GeForce
8600 GT5401190700256MB128-bit22.48.64
GeForce
8500 GT450900400256MB128-bit12.83.6
GeForce
8400 GS450900400256MB64-bit6.43.6

THIS nVida web page at
http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_8m.html
points to information on the 8xxxM series

This nVidia web page at
http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_8600M.html
compares the 8600M GS with the 8600M GT
GeForce