PCI dual view video card?

Old November 19th 07, 10:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
surface9

Default PCI dual view video card?

I have an older PC (very quiet) that only has ONE slot, a regular PCI
(not PCI-e). The onboard video will no handle dualview, so, I need to
find a standard PCI video card that offers dual view (one analog and
one DVI output). Has anyone seen a card like this?

This PC does not have AGP, but, could there be a PCI-AGP adaptor? So
I could use a regular AGP card then?
Old November 20th 07, 12:11 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Sir-Les-MP

surface9 wrote:
I have an older PC (very quiet) that only has ONE slot, a regular PCI
(not PCI-e). The onboard video will no handle dualview, so, I need to
find a standard PCI video card that offers dual view (one analog and
one DVI output). Has anyone seen a card like this?

This PC does not have AGP, but, could there be a PCI-AGP adaptor? So
I could use a regular AGP card then?

First off there are no pci to agp adapters they have completly different
signalling and power setup's

there are still some pci video cards available that have dual monitor
support

for instance the ATI radeon 9250 with 128Mb ram

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-ATi-Radeon...QQcmdZViewItem

or if you prefer nvidia geforce 6200 with 256 Mb ram

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-256MB-nVid...QQcmdZViewItem

the nvidia card would allow you to run your monitors at higher
resoloutions than the Ati as it has more ram

Old November 20th 07, 12:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Geoff

"surface9" wrote in message
I have an older PC (very quiet) that only has ONE slot, a regular PCI
(not PCI-e). The onboard video will no handle dualview, so, I need to
find a standard PCI video card that offers dual view (one analog and
one DVI output). Has anyone seen a card like this?

This PC does not have AGP, but, could there be a PCI-AGP adaptor? So
I could use a regular AGP card then?

you won't find an adapter
just get a PCI video card with dual output, can't be that hard to find the
last of em

Old November 20th 07, 03:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

surface9 wrote:
I have an older PC (very quiet) that only has ONE slot, a regular PCI
(not PCI-e). The onboard video will no handle dualview, so, I need to
find a standard PCI video card that offers dual view (one analog and
one DVI output). Has anyone seen a card like this?

This PC does not have AGP, but, could there be a PCI-AGP adaptor? So
I could use a regular AGP card then?

There is a list of PCI cards here. There are cards from several different
generations of video cards, so some of these would be three or four
years old. Others are more recent. (For example, the Radeon 7000 would be
a complete dog of a card. It is also the cheapest.)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...nd&Order=PRICE

From Nvidia, the Geforce 6200 might be the most recent in the list.
For ATI, the X1300/X1550 are one in the same, just rebranded, and
would be ATI's latest in that list.

Paul
Old November 20th 07, 04:04 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
surface9

On Nov 20, 8:49 am, Paul wrote:
surface9 wrote:
I have an older PC (very quiet) that only has ONE slot, a regular PCI
(not PCI-e). The onboard video will no handle dualview, so, I need to
find a standard PCI video card that offers dual view (one analog and
one DVI output). Has anyone seen a card like this?

This PC does not have AGP, but, could there be a PCI-AGP adaptor? So
I could use a regular AGP card then?

There is a list of PCI cards here. There are cards from several different
generations of video cards, so some of these would be three or four
years old. Others are more recent. (For example, the Radeon 7000 would be
a complete dog of a card. It is also the cheapest.)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...NE&N=201038004...

From Nvidia, the Geforce 6200 might be the most recent in the list.
For ATI, the X1300/X1550 are one in the same, just rebranded, and
would be ATI's latest in that list.

Paul

Thanks, I found several on newegg, and I ordered the pny fx 5200 with
256 mb and dual vga output. I have used the 5200 before and I know it
works very well, so, I expect this to work out ok for me. It is also
fanless so my quiet PC will remain quiet. Not a gamer, just wanted
more screen realestate since I have two lcd's now that are exactly the
same and I can set them side by side.
Old November 21st 07, 12:50 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DaveW[_5_]

PCI video cards CANNOT handle the signal speed required for DVI. PCI to AGP
adapters are not possible to build due to signal speed differences. I'm
afraid you're out of luck without upgrading your motherboard.

--
--DaveW

Old November 22nd 07, 01:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Geoff

"DaveW" wrote in message
news
PCI video cards CANNOT handle the signal speed required for DVI. PCI to
AGP adapters are not possible to build due to signal speed differences.
I'm afraid you're out of luck without upgrading your motherboard.

PCI cards can't have DVI ?
lol

on the adapters, i do remember some odd bridge agp-pci stuff, it was rather
obscure though
like this

http://www.kuroutoshikou.com/pickup/agp2pci.html
the only situation i would recommend digging this sort of thing up is if you
wanted it for a special setup or some such
not where the buyer wanted to save money

Old November 25th 07, 02:55 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos[_2_]

Bull****, most PCI cards I can find have DVI:

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggIma...130-188-06.jpg