"Xbox 2011" - predicting the NEXT generation Xbox

Old November 17th 07, 05:51 AM posted to alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
JBDragon

Default "Xbox 2011" - predicting the NEXT generation Xbox

wrote in message
On Nov 15, 4:03 pm, AirRaid wrote:
* CPU/GPU - Integrated chip with 16 x 5GHz processor cores, 32 x 2GHz
graphics cores
* Memory - 8GB GDDR8
* Media - Dual-format HD-DVD/Blu-ray drive for backwards compatibility
and movies
* Storage - 4TB hard disk for online game (and movie) delivery
* Built-in camera - for gesture-based control
* Built-in microphone - for voice-recognised control

Oh, come on! These numbers are WAY over what the next Xbox will have.
Look at the jump from th Xbox1 to the 360. It was nowhere nearly this
great. The Xbox1 went from an 8GB hard drive to a 20GB harddrive (even
on the Premium edition) in five years (a 2.5x increase). And these
guys think it will jump from 20GB to a massive *4 TB* over the next
five (a 200x increase)!?!?!? The Xbox went from 64MB of memory on the
Xbox1 to 512 on the 360 (an 8x increase). But they expect a 16x
increase over the next five years?!?!?

And I expect a HD-DVD drive upgrade on the 360 *long* before 2011.
Developers are already pushing the limits of what a DVD can hold. If
they're still using a DVD drive in 2011, Sony will be mopping the
floor with them.

MS already stated that the HD DVD drive was for movies only, not games!!!
MS is not going to split the Gaming community to those with HD DVD drives,
and those without. Doing that kind of thing on past consoles has never
worked. Many games on the Xbox didn't even use half of a DVD disc. Also a
lot of times the Sequel of a game with better graphics and just better all
around was smaller in size then the original game! Some reason you think a
game needs all this space when it doesn't. HD Games don't really take much
more disc space then a Regular game. A bit larger Textures sure, but with
new and better compression, that takes less space and loads up faster. Put
it this way, PC games that can be using Higher Resolutions then a HDTV
aren't on a Blu-Ray or HD DVD Disc! Your falling for Sony Propaganda. HD
video on the other hand requires a lot more space then SD video. I guess if
you want to fill up disc space with lots of HD Video Cut scenes in a game,
you would need space. I say who cares. The Japanese may like that garbage
but generally US gamers don't. I always skip right past it if at all
possible.

No Company is going to fill most of 25 gig Blu-Ray disc with game Code!
It's not cost effective. Games are expensive enough to produce, especially
the more Popular games. The AAA games. Millions to make a game. You
MIGHT see a couple exclusive games on the PS3 that actually make use of the
space. Maybe Final Fantasy XIII. Again, a Japanese game. The PS1 had
games on more then 1 CD! What was wrong with that? I have no problem if a
game later down the road needs 2 DVD's! That's about 18 Gigs of space right
there.

The Reason the PS3 has a Blu-Ray drive is to get Blu-Ray drives out there
for HD movies. That's where the real money is to be made. Far more then
from gamers! Sony said in the past that people would buy the PS3 even if
there wasn't any games to play on it. Well currently there still isn't
anything worth playing on the PS3 for me.

Old November 17th 07, 09:14 AM posted to alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
mark johnson

JBDragon wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

The guys who did Uncharted said they used around 91% of the Blu-ray disc

Old November 17th 07, 02:44 PM posted to alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Tom

"Mark Johnson" wrote in message
JBDragon wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Link please? that would be nearly 30gigs and I don't think that is correct,
or they have one hell of an amount of HD cutscenes in that game, something
that would make me NOT want to own that game. I am happy though that it got
good reviews, the gameplay looks cool and at least there is a lot to do in
that game.

Old November 17th 07, 03:03 PM posted to alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Chris F

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 09:14:49 +0000, Mark Johnson
wrote:

The guys who did Uncharted said they used around 91% of the Blu-ray disc

but was that all unique content, or did they use the same method as
Resistance and have duplicate data to speed loading times?
--

gamertag: Chrisflynnuk
http://live.xbox.com/member/Chrisflynnuk
Old November 17th 07, 03:10 PM posted to alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
mark johnson

JBDragon wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Here you go Tom

"In terms of Blu-Ray, we just couldn’t have made Uncharted without it;
with Uncharted we have almost filled it (91 percent). We're also using
the hard drive to pre-cache data from the Blu-Ray disc. That allows us
to stream up to 12 streams for sound, load level data super fast and
more importantly to stream textures constantly to guarantee high-res
quality on the screen."

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thum...tophe-balestra

Old November 17th 07, 03:26 PM posted to alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Tom

JBDragon wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like replicated data to me, and to help with load times, they have it
write much of the data to the HDD, obviously due to the slow read speed of
the Blu-ray drive. Note, it did not say that all of the data what all
different. So by this article, Blu-ray does nothing to improve HD content,
it simply holds more but needs to cache more as well as replicate more data
to allow for faster gameplay.

Oblivion did this on the PS3 version, or it would have been ungodly slow for

Old November 17th 07, 06:00 PM posted to alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
RKRM

JBDragon wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

I have it and it's great. Why so much space used? That's easy. It's got a
ton of unlockables in the form of "featurettes" that's gotta be a space hog
for sure. Plus I can pick from Dolby PLII, Stereo, DTS 5.1, Dolby Digital
5.1 and lossless 5.1 and 7.1. Geeze that takes some space.

Old November 17th 07, 11:07 PM posted to alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
RKRM

JBDragon wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Do a google search for : duplicated data, blue-ray
The top two links clearly state that it wasn't duplicated data. The bad
part is that it has 102 minutes of HD video.

A bunch of that is behind the scenes documentaries
that are unlockable

Old November 18th 07, 05:36 AM posted to alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Chris F

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 15:07:50 -0800, "RKRM"
wrote:

Do a google search for : duplicated data, blue-ray
The top two links clearly state that it wasn't duplicated data. The bad
part is that it has 102 minutes of HD video.

A bunch of that is behind the scenes documentaries
that are unlockable

yeah, but it makes the statement "we couldn't have made the game
without bluray" a bit of a lie.

they probably could have, they just wouldn't have been able to include
a ton of HD movie files too.

but hey, since when was PR spin ever truthful?

Old November 18th 07, 08:19 AM posted to alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
JBDragon

JBDragon wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Oh sure, you can fill up a Blu-Ray disc full of all kinds of Uncompressed
Textures. Lots of HD Video or Different versions for different Regions on
the same disc. When you have space to just waste, you end up wasting it.
Doesn't mean the game is going to be any better than a game taking 4 to 8
gigs of space. It's what you do with the space you have. Most PS3 games
would fit on a DVD. Sony of course doesn't allow this. It all has to be on
Blu-Ray to justify the Blu-Ray drive being there.

I see games running on the PC that can run in higher resolutions then a
HDTV, have extra features, and yet fits on 1 disc. Sorry to say, not a
single game for the PC is on a Blu-Ray or HD DVD disc. That's just Sony
Propaganda for Sony fanboys that for some unknown reason believe everything
Sony tells them. Even after all the lies Sony keeps getting its self caught.
What else does Sony have to do before you lose trust in them?