"Xbox 2011" - predicting the NEXT generation Xbox

Old November 16th 07, 03:41 PM posted to alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Tom

Default "Xbox 2011" - predicting the NEXT generation Xbox

wrote in message
On Nov 15, 4:03 pm, AirRaid wrote:
* CPU/GPU - Integrated chip with 16 x 5GHz processor cores, 32 x 2GHz
graphics cores
* Memory - 8GB GDDR8
* Media - Dual-format HD-DVD/Blu-ray drive for backwards compatibility
and movies
* Storage - 4TB hard disk for online game (and movie) delivery
* Built-in camera - for gesture-based control
* Built-in microphone - for voice-recognised control

Oh, come on! These numbers are WAY over what the next Xbox will have.
Look at the jump from th Xbox1 to the 360. It was nowhere nearly this
great. The Xbox1 went from an 8GB hard drive to a 20GB harddrive (even
on the Premium edition) in five years (a 2.5x increase). And these
guys think it will jump from 20GB to a massive *4 TB* over the next
five (a 200x increase)!?!?!? The Xbox went from 64MB of memory on the
Xbox1 to 512 on the 360 (an 8x increase). But they expect a 16x
increase over the next five years?!?!?

And I expect a HD-DVD drive upgrade on the 360 *long* before 2011.
Developers are already pushing the limits of what a DVD can hold. If
they're still using a DVD drive in 2011, Sony will be mopping the
floor with them.

And any HD disc required for more space will also require tha that the disc
drives (readers) also increase their read speeds. BR only reads at 2x and
many games have data replication to cover the discrepancy. I can't imagine
playing a 20gig game @ 2x, the load times would put me to sleep. I suspect
that by the time the next gen comes out, HD disc speed reads will be at
minimum, 8x.

Old November 16th 07, 09:07 PM posted to alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Tom

"Red Cloud" wrote in message
On Nov 16, 7:41 am, "Tom" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

minimum, 8x.- Hide quoted text -

You bet the 360 DVD reading speed make me sleep. What's like playing
20gig games? or 200Gig game. What's all the detailed graphic is
going to bring?
More fun? I don't think so.

The 360 reads 12x, and that is the norm for DL-DVDs. The load times for COD4
are seconds. But sooner or later games will get bigger in content and and
moreso in scope in the size of the games that they will require more than
the 9gigs a DL-DVD can hold.

And to answer your question, yes, having mor detailed graphics brings more
fun for me, because it makes the game more realistic.

Old November 16th 07, 10:23 PM posted to alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Doug Jacobs

In alt.games.video.xbox Tom wrote:

wrote in message
On Nov 15, 4:03 pm, AirRaid wrote:
* CPU/GPU - Integrated chip with 16 x 5GHz processor cores, 32 x 2GHz
graphics cores

16 & 32 way processors? I really don't think so. Mutliple processors
with 8x cores, maybe, but definitely not that many in a console.
Basically when a console comes out, its hardware is already at least a
year or 2 old, so basically if you're saying the next consoles will debut
in 2011, you're basically looking at what a pretty high-end computer would
be capable of in 2009 - that's just over a year from now.

I'd say 2x 8core processors at most. In fact, GPUs are still single core,
so you'll probably have a quad core GPU, and a quad core CPU. More cores
may be more better, but there's a point where the added performance
doesn't make sense from a cost point of view. Cores will probably be
around 2-3GHz.

PCs will be 8core by then, but remember, they're still juggling all of
Vista even before someone starts playing a game...

* Memory - 8GB GDDR8

Feasible.

* Media - Dual-format HD-DVD/Blu-ray drive for backwards compatibility
and movies

Feasible.

* Storage - 4TB hard disk for online game (and movie) delivery

4TB? I don't think we'll have single drives that large by 2009. 2TB,
sure, but that'll be pretty expensive. Of course, you could do multiple
drives, like 2x1TB, but that also adds a lot of power, heat, and noise to
the console... Even a HD movie on Blu-Ray/HD-DVD is under 30GB, so even
1TB should be plenty for awhile. I'd also expect there to be a way to
connect external drives for more storage.

* Built-in camera - for gesture-based control
* Built-in microphone - for voice-recognised control

Unless this camera and microphone are built into the controller, having
these built into the console itself makes no sense. With wireless
controller now the standard for consoles, along with large-screen HDTVs,
people aren't going to be close enough to their console for these to
work. At best you'll need a wireless camera with microphone that could be
placed closer to the players while the console remains in the
entertainment unit across the room.

--
It's not broken. It's...advanced.
Old November 17th 07, 02:40 PM posted to alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Tom

wrote in message
On Nov 15, 4:03 pm, AirRaid wrote:
* CPU/GPU - Integrated chip with 16 x 5GHz processor cores, 32 x 2GHz
graphics cores

16 & 32 way processors? I really don't think so. Mutliple processors
with 8x cores, maybe, but

snipped

Why did you reply to me, that wasn't my post?

Old November 19th 07, 08:39 PM posted to alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Doug Jacobs

In alt.games.video.xbox Tom wrote:

Why did you reply to me, that wasn't my post?

Sorry, that was the first post that showed up in the group I was reading.
I should have been clear I wasn't responding you to, but the original
poster.

--
It's not broken. It's...advanced.