Disable EDID ?

Old November 13th 07, 01:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Bigguy

Default Disable EDID ?

Is it possible to disable EDID on the DVI outs?

I'm sending two 1920 x 1080 (HD) signals via DVI to a DVI switching matrix;
this works fine unless the PC is rebooted - it then (faslely) reads the
EDID, sees only one display and sets single nVidia output to WXGA...
It is then neccessary to set both outputs up manually... tiresome...

Is there any way in nVidia drivers (Vista OS) to disable EDID and/or
force nVidia card to only/always output two 1920 x 1080 signals?

TIA

Guy
Old November 14th 07, 01:16 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos[_2_]

Bigguy wrote:
Is it possible to disable EDID on the DVI outs?

I'm sending two 1920 x 1080 (HD) signals via DVI to a DVI switching matrix;
this works fine unless the PC is rebooted - it then (faslely) reads the
EDID, sees only one display and sets single nVidia output to WXGA...
It is then neccessary to set both outputs up manually... tiresome...

Is there any way in nVidia drivers (Vista OS) to disable EDID and/or
force nVidia card to only/always output two 1920 x 1080 signals?

TIA

Guy

I've seen some home theater buffs use "DVI black boxes" which basically
send out a fake EDID. I don't know exactly what they're called, but I
suppose this could be used to trick it into thinking there's multiple
displays always. Check avforums.com and similar. In a quick search I
found this:

http://www.kvms.com/products/EXT-DVI-EDID.asp
Old November 14th 07, 01:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Bigguy

deimos wrote:
Bigguy wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that...

I'll give it a try.

Other possibility is to hack the graphics driver's .inf file...?

Guy
Old November 15th 07, 12:29 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos[_2_]

Bigguy wrote:
deimos wrote:
Bigguy wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure about that; although mode timings and defaults are found in
the .inf, I don't think you can override the low level behavior built
into the DVI standard. You could do something like force a constant
mode (some odd widescreen res at a nonstandard refresh), but I don't
think you can alter EDID info.
Old November 15th 07, 08:42 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Bigguy

Also http://www.kramer-us.com/indexes/item.asp?name=VA-1DVI