How much of a speed increase?

Old October 19th 07, 03:30 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Moo[_2_]

Default How much of a speed increase?

How much of a speed difference would I find if I changed my 6800 GT for
a 7950 GT i.e.
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/128027...specifications

I'm running a P4 3.2ghz with 1.5gig ram under XP.

Games are really starting to struggle (had to run bioshock in 800x600),
and when I do decide to upgrade the PC competely I'm gonna have to
upgrade every component as technology has moved on drastically.

--

My blog - http://degeneratemoo.livejournal.com
Old October 19th 07, 03:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Conor[_2_]

In article , Moo says...
How much of a speed difference would I find if I changed my 6800 GT for
a 7950 GT i.e.
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/128027...specifications

I'm running a P4 3.2ghz with 1.5gig ram under XP.

Games are really starting to struggle (had to run bioshock in 800x600),
and when I do decide to upgrade the PC competely I'm gonna have to
upgrade every component as technology has moved on drastically.

About 80%.

--
Conor

I'm not prejudiced. I hate everyone equally.
Old October 19th 07, 04:31 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Romano[_5_]

"Conor" je napisao u poruci interesnoj grupi:

I'm running a P4 3.2ghz with 1.5gig ram under XP.

Games are really starting to struggle (had to run bioshock in 800x600),
and when I do decide to upgrade the PC competely I'm gonna have to
upgrade every component as technology has moved on drastically.

About 80%.

According to this increase is 160 %
http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphi...21 &chart=318

Old October 19th 07, 05:30 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Rich

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 15:30:07 +0100, Moo
wrote:

How much of a speed difference would I find if I changed my 6800 GT for
a 7950 GT i.e.
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/128027...specifications

I'm running a P4 3.2ghz with 1.5gig ram under XP.

Games are really starting to struggle (had to run bioshock in 800x600),
and when I do decide to upgrade the PC competely I'm gonna have to
upgrade every component as technology has moved on drastically.

I've recently upgraded from a 7600G to 7900 GTX. A 7950 is basically
2 x 7900 GTX stuck together.

I can now play Bioshock at 1400x900 with all the settings at max no
problems.

Rich
Old October 19th 07, 06:04 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Moo[_2_]

Romano wrote:
"Conor" je napisao u poruci interesnoj grupi:

I'm running a P4 3.2ghz with 1.5gig ram under XP.

Games are really starting to struggle (had to run bioshock in 800x600),
and when I do decide to upgrade the PC competely I'm gonna have to
upgrade every component as technology has moved on drastically.

About 80%.

According to this increase is 160 %
http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphi...21 &chart=318

Nice, thanks for that... might be investing in one of those!

--

My blog - http://degeneratemoo.livejournal.com
Old October 19th 07, 06:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Rich wrote:

I've recently upgraded from a 7600G to 7900 GTX. A 7950 is basically
2 x 7900 GTX stuck together.

No, a 7950GT is a tweaked 7900GT. A 7950GX2 is more along the lines of
two 7900GT's SLI'ed rather than two 7900GTx's SLI'ed.
The 7950GX2 has a slightly faster core clock (and slower memory cock)
than a 7900GT, and does not approach 7900GTX speed.
Old October 19th 07, 06:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon

'Moo' wrote:
| Nice, thanks for that... might be investing in one of those!
_____

Well, the FPS rating is not exactly linear as a comparison benchmark. After
all, who can SEE 1000 frames per second (or 100). At most, an FPS rating
may indicate the EXCESS CAPACITY of a CPU/Memory System/Graphics System) for
displaying a scripted section of a game. An EXCESS CAPACITY that may or may
not ever be called on. [Not to mention that 160% does not even seem to be a
number that can be extracted from the cited page!]

Benchmarks are of limited value, ESPECIALLY when improperly interpreted.
And as long as "when I do decide to upgrade the PC completely I'm gonna have
to upgrade every component has technology has moved on drastically" then
surely the non DX10 capable 7950 GT would not be in the cards. What SLI
gives you is a choice - install one card, and, if game play is not
satisfying to you, then adding a second, identical card is an easy upgrade.

Unless you are going for bragging rights evaluation of game play is much
more useful than comparing benchmarks.

Phil Weldon

Old October 19th 07, 07:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Rich

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 13:28:01 -0400, "Mr.E Solved!"
wrote:

Rich wrote:

I've recently upgraded from a 7600G to 7900 GTX. A 7950 is basically
2 x 7900 GTX stuck together.

No, a 7950GT is a tweaked 7900GT. A 7950GX2 is more along the lines of
two 7900GT's SLI'ed rather than two 7900GTx's SLI'ed.
The 7950GX2 has a slightly faster core clock (and slower memory cock)
than a 7900GT, and does not approach 7900GTX speed.

Thanks for that. Was tempted on a 7950 GX2 to replace my existing
card. But looks like its not worth it then.

Rich
Old October 19th 07, 07:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Phil Weldon wrote:

Well, the FPS rating is not exactly linear as a comparison benchmark. After
all, who can SEE 1000 frames per second (or 100).

The value of increased FPS has zero to do with "seeing" 1/1000th (or any
other reasonable fraction) of second state changes in the monitor.

Phosphors in displays have a medium-fast decay time that negate hyper
fast visual changes. If you want to switch a pixel from purple to green
and back in 1/500th of a second repeatedly, you need a different technology.

High FPS desirability has everything to do with being able to accurately
reproduce and synchronize your client gaming environment with the Master
Server environment. Add to that burdensome task maintaining that steady,
bright and vivid image on your display. Refreshing those phosphors as
intended. Then add that task the I/O of transferring those state changes
in and out of your PC.

Battlefield 2 servers are digital worlds that update 100 times a second.
they live in a 100Hz universe. If your client PC can match 100FPS
sustained rate and re-draw the display 100 times a second then you have
achieved perfect game-state harmony and the most accurate (barring
latency spikes) arena possible.

If I have 100 FPS sustained and you have 50 FPS sustained, I have twice
as many opportunities as you do and the score will reflect that. (all
else being equal). To answer your question then: Everyone can see the
difference when it is shown to them, but not every one can explain it.

HTH.
Old October 19th 07, 08:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Rich wrote:

Thanks for that. Was tempted on a 7950 GX2 to replace my existing
card. But looks like its not worth it then.

Yes, they aren't a reasonable option for a new single card purchase.
However, they are the only game in town (maybe) for Quad SLI.